don't know what to do

SheenaBug

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Hi everyone. I am trying to decide what to do. The background is I am hard of hearing. My entire life I've had constant ear infections. Pressure builds my hearing gets Charlie Brown like (whah wa wah whah wah) eventually they pop, bleed, drain etc. About eighteen months ago i got swimmers ear that turned into a double infection. I lost my hearing completely for a month, was hospitalized etc. My hearingcame back mostly. I am suppose to get aids but my insurance refuses to pay. My hearing continues to slowly deteriorate (even without the bone infection family history is full of hearing loss after middle age.) My ears are messed up with narrow canal and a ledge that traps moisture next to ear drum.

Here's the problem I homeschool our children due to special needs. They know and continue to learn asl. Its pretty much inevitable my hearing will be gone someday. I can't follow conversations now. Is it wrong to not want to mess with hearing aids when they could help for a while. My ears hurt constantly through the winter months as it is. They are so expensive. And with the infection killing the hairs and messing up the bones will they even work.
I am just so tired of not understanding conversation getting yelled at for being loud and not being able to have a full conversation with men. (Deep voices are impossible for me to hear on a good day.)

Wirelessly posted

Been to ENT he sent me after testing to the audiologists about hearing aids. It justhurts to insert anything in my ears. That's why I'm trying to decide if they're worth it.

Wirelessly posted

They said it is the hole in my ear drum and i should have had tubes as a child.
With no suggestions for how to fix it. To much scarring, which I don't understand. Ihad to drive an hour to that ENT. I guess I just need to find a new one. He was the one who treated me in the hospital.

You need to see an ENT first and foremost and then go from there.

Agreed, you really need to see a doctor. If you don't like the one you had, find another who will listen to you. FYI, if you can't afford hearing aids, they're are vocational centers that can pay for it, or help you cover the cost. But before all this, you really need a good doctor.

Laura

Wirelessly posted

They said it is the hole in my ear drum and i should have had tubes as a child.
With no suggestions for how to fix it. To much scarring, which I don't understand. Ihad to drive an hour to that ENT. I guess I just need to find a new one. He was the one who treated me in the hospital.

That is very odd. Fixing a hole in an eardrum is not brain surgery, and is a minor procedure. For that matter, replacing an eardrum is not that big of a deal.

are you refering to a gromits that allows for it to dry .a small hole in eardrum would help with that condition and the eardrum usually heals itself

All of this was within about a three month period after release from the hospital. The ENT was pretty much you're lucky you got back what you did. The scoop right next to the eardrum traps liquid which builds bacteria you're going to have ear infections, you're going to continue to lose hearing. Kinda like deal with it.
The audiologists was really sweet. She gave me the vocational paperwork. But because I homeschool my kids and they sign they didn't think I would be approved. So I just dropped everything. Now it's cold season so I got sick this week and of course there goes my hearing. It was just the last straw. Will try and find a different ENT and maybe go from there. Thank you all for the advice. Iam not familiar with all the terms and such for loss but the hill graph thing they showed me said I was at 45 below the normal. Does that translate into something I can understand. (I'm beginning to see how little the ENT explained after exploring the forum. So I really appreciate your guys input.)

By translate that I obviously know my hearing is below normal. But i keep seeing decibel readings on others posts. Does this mean the decibel level I hear? Which I think puts me in a workable range for aids. Right? Cause that's the other thing I am trying to figure out.

All of this was within about a three month period after release from the hospital. The ENT was pretty much you're lucky you got back what you did. The scoop right next to the eardrum traps liquid which builds bacteria you're going to have ear infections, you're going to continue to lose hearing. Kinda like deal with it.
The audiologists was really sweet. She gave me the vocational paperwork. But because I homeschool my kids and they sign they didn't think I would be approved. So I just dropped everything. Now it's cold season so I got sick this week and of course there goes my hearing. It was just the last straw. Will try and find a different ENT and maybe go from there. Thank you all for the advice. Iam not familiar with all the terms and such for loss but the hill graph thing they showed me said I was at 45 below the normal. Does that translate into something I can understand. (I'm beginning to see how little the ENT explained after exploring the forum. So I really appreciate your guys input.)

Contact the Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in your state and see what they can do.

That is very odd. Fixing a hole in an eardrum is not brain surgery, and is a minor procedure. For that matter, replacing an eardrum is not that big of a deal.

That can be done thru the ear as well so you wont have any incisions either which will mean quicker recoverly etc. My mom has just had her ear drum replaced and is was so quick.

They normally say upto 20db is normal hearing so if you are 45 (if you mean 45 is 45db?) below normal, give or take 5db etc, then you will be 65db which is moderatly severe. You maybe slghtly better or slightly worse depending how people relate to what normal hearing is. Some say up to 30db but mostly people say 20db is normal.

Hey guys. Thanks once again. I am now looking for a good ent around Kansas City Mo cause my one in Clinton can't help. I was in er yesterday cause of the stabbing intense pain and constant eeeeeeeeeeeeee (my gp couldn't get me in) the doc couldn't see anything on the outside which means for once i don't have an outer ear infection. But i haven't been able to hear hardly anything besides muffled noises and the high pitched whine alternating with the wooshing sea shell sound for over a week. Getting frustrated went from hard of hearing to this in a day and the one ent my gp suggested can't get me in till January. But th er doc told my hub i need to find an ent that specializes in ears. So anyone who knows a good one in my area i would greatly appreciate the suggestion.

They normally say upto 20db is normal hearing so if you are 45 (if you mean 45 is 45db?) below normal, give or take 5db etc, then you will be 65db which is moderatly severe. You maybe slghtly better or slightly worse depending how people relate to what normal hearing is. Some say up to 30db but mostly people say 20db is normal.

My hub says she(the audiologist) said 45 percent loss in one ear and 30 in the right . Sorry we aren't exactly understanding and communicating the greatest right now. So i have no clue what db i hear at. And so confused how db works. Trying to look it up so I understand what is going on so far and the next ent makes sense.

Back