DOG OWNERS! I got a question for you.

Firebrand

Reaction score
I have a Frenchie-Pug, a mix between a French Bulldog and a Pug. Yes, he's a real cutie! He's 7 years old now. We had so much trouble with housetraining because of the fact that I'm deaf and he just plain won't tell me when he needs to go, body language-wise.

That problem is sort of solved by taking him out on a schedule. It works pretty well except for the off-times from changes in schedule, trips, etc. Hearing people use a doorknob hanging bell for the dog to ring it. It works excellent, from what I've read and heard. I'm at a loss because I hear nothing.

I tried body language-teaching for him to alert me, but he uses it in everything he does, so that's out. Do any of you have any effective signalling method for a dog to alert the owner that he/she needs to go out for a bathroom break????

I would really appreciate this. I don't know why I didn't think to ask this question as soon as I signed up on AllDeaf. Hehehehe.

Have a happy holiday season, everyone!

Thanks, again!
Firebrand :ty:

I just take mine to the back yard on a regular basis. If any of them need to go out when not scheduled, they just go to the back door.

I live in quite a small house.

Like PFH, I have a dog door. They come and go as desired. Before the dog door they went like Botti's dogs. I would take them out before my work, at lunch and after work. I always took them to the same spot so they got the idea to "go" there.

i have 1 beagles and half beagles and bassient but im deaf also i do taking Walter out for walking but Pandy dont walking because scary in streets and can hit cars,trucks and suv..

i had hardtimes to training 2 dogs expect poop in living room and chew sofa but my mom so "PISSED OFF" for new sofa plus chew corner i told Walter "limit off" for not seat NOPE!! i told walter get off sofa all the times but pandy the beagle dont seat new sofa but pandy always know where seat or my bedroom pandy is good girl she not chew so walter must in bathroom they dont chew new sofa all the times its my mom's rules i respect that and plus walter got peed sofa pillow on thanksgiving night and my mom so MAD!! But thankness godness no chew new sofa..

IF you have new puppies you must not let chew sofa or rockers so tell says "limit off" i know its hard on disclipine say no cant give rewards for treat i did give both my dogs..

IF your dog got barking "for hated company" same my Pandy the Beagle who hated company i dont judge my Pandy the Beagle..Pandy always growls or barking at my brother when my brother come for visit and my brother tried petted Pandy and its too shy so Pandy hide you or behind me they you leave ASAP i told my brother get out my room now!! Dont bother Pandy if she barking or growls my brother always staring at Pandy all the times i dont like that..I told my brother "im your big sister this my room peroid!" IF you have company or whatever if your dog want pet or not they leave right now..Same my walter the half beagle/bassinet always loves company all the times..

IF you plans get gates and not near furnitures im learn from my aunt

Last edited:
Just make sure he gets 3 good walks a day (morning, lunch, evening) that would get his bowels moving.
Chuck him out first thing in morning (showing him his usual spot) and after every meal plus one/two hours afterwards and last one before bed.
You may need to consider crate train him as he'll hate to soil his bed and would learn to hold for bit until you can see he needs to go out.
At 7 he's way past his puppy stage training but never too late to teach, he might take longer. Ask your vet for advice.

I started with one hour when my dog was a puppy, increasing the hours. At 6 months, he could hold for 4 hours. The longest he could hold was 9 hours (he was about 3, and just graduated from crate to the house!! it was one off as I was stuck in traffic and had no one to call. I came home he was still in his bed and woke up as if "oh you are home" then went back to sleep so I stopped fretting! Phew!) I don't mind leaving him for up to 6 hours max, any longer my neighbour will tend to him.
He's 4 years old, he doesn't go until I take him for walk, he gets 2 walks a day and let out in the garden before bed. If he needs to go to toilet he picks up his leash or sits by the door.

Sara, read carefully, she is asking for advice on toilet training not chewing!!!

Thanks, everyone! Budha, my dog, has been crate-trained for years. My back yard has no fencing and the property association do not like the owners fencing their yards. Their rule.... So, I really can't put in a doggy door. During warmer days I take him out on a schedule as usual but will put him on a trolley cable-leash, so he could run around and do whatever. I don't leave him out there for long. By a half an hour, he wants to get back inside, anyway.

I have to keep an eye on him because there have been someone killing pets around here. I was hoping for a signalling system that I could train my dog to use. But, otherwise, I've pretty much tried everything. The scheduled are not a problem at all. When it's really, really cold or if it's soaking raining, he does not like to do his business in those conditions. I don't blame him. Hehehehe. Eventually, he gets it done.

Have a happy holiday season! Thanks, again! :D

Wirelessly posted

Got my four months old puppy two weeks ago, it's a hassle but he figured out if he could modify his pitch high enough, I could hear him. He also brings me his leash if I don't hurry up to the door fast enough.

You could try teaching him to paw your feet or knee everytime you take your dog out for a walk. Really, the key to teaching a dog the bathroom signal is to associate a desired behaviour just before heading out the door for a walk. I take mine out for three or four walk sessions a day.

Wirelessly posted

The other thing, be prepared to go pronto. If he does give you a signal, take him out even if it's a pain in the ass. Even if he doesn't need to go, take him out anyway if he gives you the signal.

Thanks, everyone! Budha, my dog, has been crate-trained for years. My back yard has no fencing and the property association do not like the owners fencing their yards. Their rule.... So, I really can't put in a doggy door. During warmer days I take him out on a schedule as usual but will put him on a trolley cable-leash, so he could run around and do whatever. I don't leave him out there for long. By a half an hour, he wants to get back inside, anyway.

I have to keep an eye on him because there have been someone killing pets around here. I was hoping for a signalling system that I could train my dog to use. But, otherwise, I've pretty much tried everything. The scheduled are not a problem at all. When it's really, really cold or if it's soaking raining, he does not like to do his business in those conditions. I don't blame him. Hehehehe. Eventually, he gets it done.

Have a happy holiday season! Thanks, again! :D

If you really want a visual signal you can rig a looped chain to a light and teach him to pull down the chain to turn on the light.

My doggie and I....we have "eye contact"...she usually, at all times, sits or lays right beside me....whenever she needs to go out, she gets up, and stares at me...and whenever I make eye contact with her, I don't even have to verbally say "Out"?....just say it with my eyes....she also runs around and around in a circle, letting me know it's time to go out.
And every evening, after she has finished her dinner, I wait for about 30 minutes, then take her out to do her business. Never had a problem! Taking ur dog out at scheduled times is good, once in the AM when waking up, then around noon, once in early evening and out after dinner for business, then once before going to bed. 5 times a day, sometimes 4....it works for us.

Just make sure he gets 3 good walks a day (morning, lunch, evening) that would get his bowels moving.
Chuck him out first thing in morning (showing him his usual spot) and after every meal plus one/two hours afterwards and last one before bed.
You may need to consider crate train him as he'll hate to soil his bed and would learn to hold for bit until you can see he needs to go out.
At 7 he's way past his puppy stage training but never too late to teach, he might take longer. Ask your vet for advice.

I started with one hour when my dog was a puppy, increasing the hours. At 6 months, he could hold for 4 hours. The longest he could hold was 9 hours (he was about 3, and just graduated from crate to the house!! it was one off as I was stuck in traffic and had no one to call. I came home he was still in his bed and woke up as if "oh you are home" then went back to sleep so I stopped fretting! Phew!) I don't mind leaving him for up to 6 hours max, any longer my neighbour will tend to him.
He's 4 years old, he doesn't go until I take him for walk, he gets 2 walks a day and let out in the garden before bed. If he needs to go to toilet he picks up his leash or sits by the door.

Sara, read carefully, she is asking for advice on toilet training not chewing!!!

whoops thanks for tell me i had no excuse but i want tips but i have 2 dogs also..

My dogs would go to the back door when they want out. A friend told me he trained his dog to take the leash to him (the leash is kept on the doorknob) whenever the dog needed to go.

Mod note:

Thread is moved from General chat to our pets.

Oh boy, it is too bad that the property association can be pain the ass in some ways. I have thought about suggesting a green wired fence and green poles so that they will be less vision pollution. This is what I have now on my house property, and I love it (without the electricity underground wires for a dog wireless collar - whew!). My neighbors do not complaint about it at all. I hope that, someday, you would buy a house with a nice backyard. That would give you a peaceful mind.

To other reader about your dogs, please do not to threat your dogs especially puppies. If you were a dog, just think about it. Two words are somewhat too many words to some dogs. You can say "NO" with your low mean voice that solve your problem. You also need to use your 'soft' friendly voice if things are right. Hope that helps. I used the Grannic's Bitter Apple sprayer on the corners of the sofa, and it made my dog hate to smell/taste it.

Please read these links that give you some ideas. They are helpful for you to know what to do... Hope that helps.

How to Stop the Chewing - Puppy Behavior Problems

Destructive Chewing Issues Resolved by Complete Canine Training -Dog&Puppy Training Spring, Texas

Back