Does Your Hearing Aid BUZZ On T?

Sceptre71

Reaction score
If you switch your H/A to T,and get close to a computer or something electronic,do you hear a type of buzzing noise?All my hearing aids for years,different brands,have done this,since I always used the T switch to talk on telephones.Dont use it much anymore since my hearing has went down,but I remember it doing this alot.

I just tested it now and when I get close to the computer here it will BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Its used to do this in the car after I started the engine...if left on T would make a BZZZZZZZ noise.

Anyone experience this?

sometimes yes, sometimes no. I'm right next to the computer and am on telecoil right now, but I'm listening to music right now with the Hatis ear hook, so I don't hear the buzzing. With Hatis off, I did hear a quiet buzzing. I don't even use T for the phone, as I just don't like it with the phone.

Yeah, my aids buzz around stuff like that too. I live in Toronto and if I am waiting for a streetcar and have my HA in telecoil I can hear a buzz at the streetcar approaches. It's great! It's like a streetcar detector LOL!:giggle:

Yeah, my aids buzz around stuff like that too. I live in Toronto and if I am waiting for a streetcar and have my HA in telecoil I can hear a buzz at the streetcar approaches. It's great! It's like a streetcar detector LOL!:giggle:

LOL..I love that response...it had other uses they never intended eh?
:cool2:

Yeah, mine buzz a lot, especially when driving, such as when I drive along tram tracks..:) I also get interference when I touch the brakes or use the indicators. It would be if HA can be use to detect speed cameras..:)

That buzzing you're hearing are electronic signals that T mode picks up.

T mode is originally designed for telephones. Since the sound going through the phone is actually an electronic signal, it allows you to hear what's being said on the phone. Some hearing aids have M mode, T mode, and MT mode. On T mode, you can't hear anything else in the background such as someone talking to you from across the room, but you can hear only what's being said on the phone.

Anyways, since it's an electronic signal... your hearing aid will pick up any other electronic signals. Pressing the brakes causes the car to turn on the brake lights. That's a signal. Walking through a security checkpoint (at the mall or airport), you'll hear a buzz or a long constant tone. That's a signal. Someone's cell phone gets a call, and you hear that weird sound. That's a signal.

My old hearing aid was stuck in MT mode. Even if I had it set to M mode or T mode, it would stay at MT mode... no matter what. However, the T part would kick in and out from time to time.

If I was sitting in class and a classmate had his phone in silent mode, I could still tell if he was getting a call if I heard a weird sound.

If I was leaving Blockbuster Video and walked through the anti-theft detector, I would hear another weird tone.

So, don't worry... it's normal. :thumb:

Yep, they all do it. Get close to a microwave and it will buzz also. What is really strange is if you have an induction loop in a room with the TV on. If you try to answer a phone call it is hard to tell who is speaking the caller or the TV.

Yep, they all do it. Get close to a microwave and it will buzz also. What is really strange is if you have an induction loop in a room with the TV on. If you try to answer a phone call it is hard to tell who is speaking the caller or the TV.

Yeah mine has always done this too...its weird but cool at same time..can also be annoying!It annoyed me when using cordless phones in the past and walking around the kitchen and getting close to something to cause it to buzzzz..would make me feel
:crazy: at times.

Vam,
Thanks for the info...I already knew what caused it,was just wondering if others experienced it too..but thanks for the write up!

:cool:

Are the FM transmitters like Mlink affected by the buzzing when using the T switch. I am thinking of buying a Mylink zoom but there is no point if it is affected by the buzzing. I work with computer causes the buzzing in the T switch.

I'm forever buzzing

It's horrendous and pretty stupid that in this day and age we still buzz. I've had my ears blasted walking through security with the TC on. I also buzz without the TC on when I start my car. Since I work with computers all day and now am meeting-centric on the phone primarily, I'm really screwed. It's so annoying and I've been dealing with this junk for over 40 years.:eek3: I feel shell-shocked.

yeah, often. But it doesn't bother me much though if I have my iPod playing, so I hear the music and not the buzzing.

I never hear my aid buzzing on t-mode? maybe cuz my t-mode is for fm i dunno...

I never heard this buzzing except when at public pay phones..LOL!

I had most of the time my HA at M mode and never had a single problem..Even used most telephones..

The stores' security devices triggers the "buzzing" sound (I liken it to a machine gun firing).

Anything digital triggers the "t" mode for me.

They tell me to invest in digital hearing aids. I say, "Give me analog any day!"

Since I got really good digital recently, I have not had that problem. I don't use the telephone, but power station and things outside that would do that seem not to now.

That's the way it works.

T mode picks up any electronic signals. That includes security systems, metal detectors, automobile brakes, telephones, cell phones, etc.

Yes, even automobile brakes would give you weird clicking sounds. This happens in a lot of car cuz pressing the brakes activates the electric signal to turn on the brake lights.

With cell phones, you'll know when a call is coming through. Even if the cell phone is set in silent mode, if someone calls it... you will know. My old hearing aid was stuck in T & M mode. So, I could hear normally... but also pick up electronic signals from time to time. When I was in class one night, a classmate was sitting behind me. During the first hour of class, I heard the weird buzzing sound from his cell phone 3 times. During break, I told him... "Yo, you got 3 calls on your cell phone." He laughed his ass off, "Yeah right... it's in silent mode. How the hell would you know!?" He looked at his cell phone and gulped. Yep, his mom tried calling him 3 times. He was like... "WTF!? How did you do that!?"

T-coil is also widely known as an induction coil. Pass that induction coil through any electro-magnetic field and it will induce electrical current through the coil, resulting in electronic signals.

This buzzing you hear is interference from a nearby electro-magnetic (EM) field. Any kind of electronic device will generate that EM field. Microwaves is one of the best examples.

The reason why you hear the buzzing from nearby EM fields is because due to the nature of induction coils, they are wide-band receivers.

This is why I don't turn my hearing aids on to t-coil for listening to my ipod on the subway, because the subway line and the subway car is one gigantic EM field.

buzzing

Funny that this is brought up, at work mine do that also. The best thing about it is I can pick up the odd static buzz when our electronic equiptment starts to go in need of repair. I guess you can say I am the equiptment troubleshooter.:giggle:

Buzzing, buzzing everywhere and not a company to stop it

Yes, I've been wearing aids since 1963/64. If I'm not careful, I also can get ZAPPED walking through a security system at a dept. store. I work with computers and hold teleconference calls, so I'm CONSTANTLY exposed to buzzing - cellphones and land lines. It drives me nuts.

I see the HA companies don't have the technology to fix it but I think it's more like those of us who wear aids aren't worth spending research money.

--S. Dennis

Yes, I've been wearing aids since 1963/64. If I'm not careful, I also can get ZAPPED walking through a security system at a dept. store. I work with computers and hold teleconference calls, so I'm CONSTANTLY exposed to buzzing - cellphones and land lines. It drives me nuts.

I see the HA companies don't have the technology to fix it but I think it's more like those of us who wear aids aren't worth spending research money.

--S. Dennis

Some of the newer hearing aids are more resistance to interference when not using T-coil and with Cell phones. Some cell phone carriers like Sprint and Verzion uses technology that generate less interference than other I also worked with many computers at work but most of them are using flat panel monitors and the CPU are near the floor instead of on the desktop. Phonak did at one time added a buzz filter to the T-coil but it did not always worked.
Howerver the Phonak digital noise reduction set to low worked very well with me using the Supero aids to reduce the buzzing

Back