Does CI person need interpreter?

Minor and insignificant, huh? To you perhaps. But to the deaf community, not so. I suppose your curriculum teaches that A.G. Bell invented the telephone, as well. And restricts Black history to singular individuals like George Washington Carver. Typical.

I think to virtually all people the invention of the football huddle would be considered minor and insignificant and not necessary to education of a well rounded individual.

I do not recall if the current curricula mentions either Messrs. Bell and/or Carver but they do have a section in the text book on the Black Panthers. Yes, New York is well known throughout the United States as a very reactionary and conservative state and would never introduce the notion that anyone other then those of white males of European descent has ever made any contribution to American society and culture.

Must you continue this nonsense rather then just admit you made a mistake and move on?

Then why the 4th grade reading stats for def children? Mainstreamed deaf children are the largest population included in the group.

Show us the stats for mainstream children as opposed to those in the Deaf Educational system.

I haven't read any posts by shel stating that any of her students are written off. However, I have read numerous statements whereby the oral only program write students off by shipping them off to "second rate, signing deaf schools." Wish the oral programs would "write them off" a lot sooner. Perhaps we would be seeing an increase in literacy rates.

Then I suggest you go back and read her posts about the significance of age 5 in the oral development of kids in her school's program, but you already have and rather then comment on that practice, you change the argument into an attack on oral schools. Same old tricks, jillio, same old tricks but you are not fooling anyone.

Plan B according to your philosophy. If Bi-Bi were Plan A in more cases, we would not be seeing the literacy rates we are seeing today. None of the oralists have yet explained how the push for mainstreaming has not raised literacy scores. You keep talking about how successful oral mainstream programs are for deaf children, but you have yet to come up with any hard evidence of such.

Plan B was Alser's terms. I know that in our school district, they never pulled my daughter's scores out from the rest of her grade level, so you would never see them as attributed to a deaf student. I suspect that is probably the case for other mainstreamed kids as well.

Yes, Jackie that is VERY inaccurate. Virtually ALL schools for the Deaf, offer speech therapy. As a matter of fact, believe it or not there are Schools for the Deaf that offer an oral track! (Horace Mann in Boston, and the NYSD) And they have been offering those for YEARS! (its not something new that arose with CIs)
It's a myth that TC programs or school for the deaf programs ignore speech in favor of Sign.

Yeah, that's wild myth, it's so wild I get dizzy.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but this reminds me of a foreign european language teacher I had in a bilingual program I attended a couple of years, who asked us to read with voice, one by one to him. I discovered that I got away with babling nonsense, as long I used my voice and pretended I was voicing the words(it was interesting to learn to pronounce the foreign words, but just became a bit boring after a while).

So if a deaf student in a TC, bibi or oral program are tired of that focus on speech, just babble and "they" will give up. That was my strategy. I have earlier attended a speech therapist, training to a level where my voice was near perfect. After that, I stopped to care about speech, and let my voice decay to scare away the audists. It became clear to me, that the only thing that matters is sign language, of course that's a personal choice, but I am thankful I got that choice! I allways got the shivers when I think about all the deaf children stuck in oral programs, never getting that choice.

Yeah, that's wild myth, it's so wild I get dizzy.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but this reminds me of a foreign european language teacher I had in a bilingual program I attended a couple of years, who asked us to read with voice, one by one to him. I discovered that I got away with babling nonsense, as long I used my voice and pretended I was voicing the words(it was interesting to learn to pronounce the foreign words, but just became a bit boring after a while).

So if a deaf student in a TC, bibi or oral program are tired of that focus on speech, just babble and "they" will give up. That was my strategy. I have earlier attended a speech therapist, training to a level where my voice was near perfect. After that, I stopped to care about speech, and let my voice decay to scare away the audists. It became clear to me, that the only thing that matters is sign language, of course that's a personal choice, but I am thankful I got that choice! I allways got the shivers when I think about all the deaf children stuck in oral programs, never getting that choice.

*raising hand* I was one of them. I had speech therapy all the way to 12th grade. You would think at this point the therapists would figure that what speech skills I had were the best I can do and just let me use my 30 mins for more educational stuff? :ugh:

How about we skip the coke or pepsi and go straight to the rum! flip, does that work for you?

I would have a serious hangover if I drank rum! LOL! Beer is good enough for me. :giggle:

I think to virtually all people the invention of the football huddle would be considered minor and insignificant and not necessary to education of a well rounded individual.

I do not recall if the current curricula mentions either Messrs. Bell and/or Carver but they do have a section in the text book on the Black Panthers. Yes, New York is well known throughout the United States as a very reactionary and conservative state and would never introduce the notion that anyone other then those of white males of European descent has ever made any contribution to American society and culture.

Must you continue this nonsense rather then just admit you made a mistake and move on?

As soon as you are able to come up with an error, I will admit to it. To date, you have not been capable of doing so.

Then I suggest you go back and read her posts about the significance of age 5 in the oral development of kids in her school's program, but you already have and rather then comment on that practice, you change the argument into an attack on oral schools. Same old tricks, jillio, same old tricks but you are not fooling anyone.

I still don't see anything about the deaf schools writing students off. The majority of the deaf students end up at deaf schools after the mainstream has written them off.

Plan B was Alser's terms. I know that in our school district, they never pulled my daughter's scores out from the rest of her grade level, so you would never see them as attributed to a deaf student. I suspect that is probably the case for other mainstreamed kids as well.

I suggest that you figure out how exactly these stats are compiled.

I would have a serious hangover if I drank rum! LOL! Beer is good enough for me. :giggle:

Finding comon ground, I'll drink to that! But you just knew that with me it would be the lowest commmon denominator! :)

(going off topic a bit, but I did address the topic at hand)

I think I might have, to some extent, resented my parents if they had attempted to correct my vision, had that been a possibility- and I know that now, looking back, that I don't all that much mind being blind, and that to a great extent, I have experienced things I couldn't have had I been sighted. My family made the right choice to hand me a longer cane, not stronger glasses. :)
Good for you that you are just so secure in yourself. I know that I have very bad eyesight. One eye is 20/200, which they said is legally blind. As I am aging my eyesight is getting worse and I hate it. I have been trying to get laser but because my eye sight is so bad that they do not really know how my eyes would do. I would have eye surgery in a second if it was safe and they could tell me more or less what my eyes would do but that is just me.

I agree...geez!

I cant believe how much emphasis is spent on oral skills. What about education? Wow!

We in oral educatin do put emphasis on oral skills and we also put a heavy emphasis on education. It can and does go hand in hand. Are you trying to say that teaching in ASL is the only way to educate deaf children? I know that oral education and academic education can go hand in hand just as my children were taught and as I teach my oral deaf students.

They should be written off when it's clear that the oral approach isn't working. It's a damn sight better to go to "plan B" and introduce signs, as opposed to remaining adamant about the child developing oral skills at the price of time that could be spent learning, interacting with peers, and just... being young.

With this type of attitude oral and signing will never find a middle point.

Back