Does CI person need interpreter?

This is a high functioning student with great oral skills. He can talk and read, just no one has worked with him. He has temper tanturm when made to do anything except watch tv. He is mainstreamed and 13 years old in 5th grade.

Last year I had a student who was non-verbal austism. We worked on listening skills, not oral skills. He learned sign with me.

The point is my program is individualized for the student.

heh, I'd have eaten my own arm off to get that while I was back in public schools. I speak several languages quite fluently, but I can't actually talk around people I'm not intensely comfortable with(and even then, it's a miracle if I make it to 10 words), which lead to a fair share of assumptions on teacher's parts about my intelligence, or simply thinking that I was being defiant with them.

Yet, still, I know kids on the spectrum, or kids with communication difficulty... going through the exact same thing. It doesn't really change.

What do u mean how does that work? The interns are placed in different schools and teach in a regular ed program.

I heard it is very successful. I just wondered about it. Someone left a posting on my blog about it. Is is for all educational program?

I heard it is very successful. I just wondered about it. Someone left a posting on my blog about it. Is is for all educational program?

It is for the undergrad program. The grad program is different. Yes, it is very successful. I was never in the program as I went to Arizona State for my undergrad.

heh, I'd have eaten my own arm off to get that while I was back in public schools. I speak several languages quite fluently, but I can't actually talk around people I'm not intensely comfortable with(and even then, it's a miracle if I make it to 10 words), which lead to a fair share of assumptions on teacher's parts about my intelligence, or simply thinking that I was being defiant with them.

Yet, still, I know kids on the spectrum, or kids with communication difficulty... going through the exact same thing. It doesn't really change.

I understand. I was very talkative in school.

For my student, we used a book on legos for reading this week. How do you think that went? Fantastic. He loves these books we use each week. I can build a house out of legos and we can visit legos on line.

It is for the undergrad program. The grad program is different. Yes, it is very successful. I was never in the program as I went to Arizona State for my undergrad.

okay thanks - I am looking to add an endorsement or Ed.S program.

I know that IEPs dont mean giving up on students. Rick was just twisting my words and as usual using tactics to make me look bad which I dont care. I know I am doing the right thing by my students and if others dont like it, that is not any of my concern. The parents of the students are the ones who make these decisions not Rick.

Not twisting your words at all. Just stating what you already have.

BTW, speeaking of "twisting words" please do not state what my "values" are and are not. First, I have never advocated that all deaf children be placed in the mainstream or that they not learn ASl as I have made it very clear that it is the parent's right to make the determination as to what is in thier child's best interests and then to keep an open mind as things may change. Second, education for both of our children was and remains extremely important, however, we were not going to place our deaf daughter into the Deaf schools in our area where the education was not as good as the one she would receive in her local public schools.

Now its time to move on.
Rick

Not twisting your words at all. Just stating what you already have.

BTW, speeaking of "twisting words" please do not state what my "values" are and are not. First, I have never advocated that all deaf children be placed in the mainstream or that they not learn ASl as I have made it very clear that it is the parent's right to make the determination as to what is in thier child's best interests and then to keep an open mind as things may change. Second, education for both of our children was and remains extremely important, however, we were not going to place our deaf daughter into the Deaf schools in our area where the education was not as good as the one she would receive in her local public schools.

Now its time to move on.
Rick

Ok..I can respect that.

I agree, let's move on.

Right and we also recognize if kids have temper tantrums or showing resistance towards learning speech skills, we dont continue to pressure them. My brother suffered 5 years in an oral only environment and speech therapy and for what? He ended up with language delays. Luckily he overcame them when he was introduced sign at 5 years old. He was very lucky that he didnt have to suffer for the rest of his life.

Yes, he was. Further delay in introducing him to a language that would allow for communication and expression of ideas, needs, and wants could have left him with not just the negative effects of language delays, but social and psychological problems, as well.

Yes, Jackie that is VERY inaccurate. Virtually ALL schools for the Deaf, offer speech therapy. As a matter of fact, believe it or not there are Schools for the Deaf that offer an oral track! (Horace Mann in Boston, and the NYSD) And they have been offering those for YEARS! (its not something new that arose with CIs)
It's a myth that TC programs or school for the deaf programs ignore speech in favor of Sign.

You should come out to CA and see the TC programs that I have seen.

Our social studies curricula does not include the teaching of interesting but minor and insignificant sports trivia. Hey, maybe they should all learn that it was a Catholic priest at Manhattan College, Brother Jasper, who invented the 7th inning stretch in baseball. Now that is one of the most profound and important events in our history, we'll just cut back on some unimportant stuff, like the Industrial Revolution.

Sorry, but you stated that no "contributions' by any minority group were taught in any school. Now when you are proven wrong, you now change the focus to "history" of all ethnic and cultural minorities, another one of you tactics: never admit you were mistaken, just keep changing your argument, hopefully you will find one that sticks.

As ususal, with most of your arguments, for you its three strikes and you are out.

Minor and insignificant, huh? To you perhaps. But to the deaf community, not so. I suppose your curriculum teaches that A.G. Bell invented the telephone, as well. And restricts Black history to singular individuals like George Washington Carver. Typical.

Myth? Have you read Shel's posts wherein the instruction in a so-called bi-bi program is only in ASL and where kids are written off as having any chance of deloping oral skills by their alleged speech and language therapists as young as 5 years old!

I haven't read any posts by shel stating that any of her students are written off. However, I have read numerous statements whereby the oral only program write students off by shipping them off to "second rate, signing deaf schools." Wish the oral programs would "write them off" a lot sooner. Perhaps we would be seeing an increase in literacy rates.

or better continue both. Give them the knowledge they need to be successful - ASL and oral.

Sometimes we give up on plan A too quickly. Educational development is different for each child. That is why it is called Individualized Education Program IEP.

Exactly. Bi-Bi. ASL and English. Speech therapy as an adjunct service. The IEP mandates what the home school system is mandated to do for a student. Have the home school pay the tuition to a good Bi-Bi program, and the services needed for these students don't have to be added to a curriculum. They are already in place.

They should be written off when it's clear that the oral approach isn't working. It's a damn sight better to go to "plan B" and introduce signs, as opposed to remaining adamant about the child developing oral skills at the price of time that could be spent learning, interacting with peers, and just... being young.

Well said. These individuals are so focused on speech skills that they fail to see the damage across domains that language delays cause for children. As long as they can speak, everything is fine.:ugh3:

a temper tantrum controls educational programs?

Shel how old is your brother? I hope education has progressed in the years we had speech and language therapy. We can't judge our educational experience with what is happening today. The strategies and knowledge of educators and development of research base educational programs have changed so much. I know more about data now then I did when I started teaching 14+ years ago.

My student with austism had a temper tantrum on Friday over reading orally. I guess that means he should not learn to read since he has a tantrum if I ask him to complete assignments. Might as well put him in life skills. Come on!

A temper tantrum is indicative of extreme frustration over an inability to communicate. It is one of the first sysmptoms of larger problems. Ignore it, and you are not addressing that child's needs. Misintyerpret it, and you are contribiuting to future emotional and psychological difficulties, not to mention educational problems. And a student with autism suffers from a communication disorder. I would think, as an educator, you would recognize that.

They are getting Plan B, actually Plan A, since day one in this alleged bi-bi program. Its the fact that they write these kids off as early as age 5 at all that concerns me. Now we are told that they allow temper tantrums to determine the program. Also, if you had followed her earlier posts then you would have known that the alleged S&L instruction is not done in place of classroom instruction.

Plan B according to your philosophy. If Bi-Bi were Plan A in more cases, we would not be seeing the literacy rates we are seeing today. None of the oralists have yet explained how the push for mainstreaming has not raised literacy scores. You keep talking about how successful oral mainstream programs are for deaf children, but you have yet to come up with any hard evidence of such.

This is a high functioning student with great oral skills. He can talk and read, just no one has worked with him. He has temper tanturm when made to do anything except watch tv. He is mainstreamed and 13 years old in 5th grade.

Last year I had a student who was non-verbal austism. We worked on listening skills, not oral skills. He learned sign with me.

The point is my program is individualized for the student.

I'm going to refer you to the website www.autismisworld.com. It will open your eyes.

IEP does not mean to give up on students. We do use their strengths and do not allow them to maintain a low reading level. It can be frustrating, it also is more rewarding as they see they can achieve. My students don't give up.

Then why the 4th grade reading stats for def children? Mainstreamed deaf children are the largest population included in the group.

Back