Does being deaf/hoh make you a bad writer?

sorry there was nothing clever abut what bottesini said. It was just as she said her self.... "snarky". And I was definitely not trying to pick on anyone i was just trying to understand what was said to me.

Lucas I agree with you. I personally have had so much trouble understanding Travis that I just recently put him on ignore.

Lucas I agree with you. I personally have had so much trouble understanding Travis that I just recently put him on ignore.

How nice of you to inform us. I am sure he doesn't have any feelings! :roll:

You can take it as a generalization, but it certainly has been my experience.

Are you saying that you have not encountered any sense that deaf/HOH have greater issues with grammar compared to the general population? Perhaps you had a different experience at college(I did not go to a deaf college), but surely in the general population you've experienced this.

It takes our group longer to even get degrees:
Hands & Voices :: Articles
I am saying it is not true that ALL deaf are not good writers. I have seen some really good writing right here on AD. I have met some good deaf writers in person and read their work.

It is myth that oral deaf writers are better than deaf non-oral writers unless you understand why Deaf Education sucks. Too bad, nobody cares if it is fucked up.

What are we thinking of when we are asked about a 'good writer'?
Are we talking about an author like Chuck Palahniuk or are we talking about someone who writes newspaper columns, or what?

Personally I feel it has to do more with the aggressiveness of the parents towards their kid's learning and kid's personality than it has to do with the child's deafness.

Personally I feel it has to do more with the aggressiveness of the parents towards their kid's learning and kid's personality than it has to do with the child's deafness.

+1

'Nuff said.

I personally have had so much trouble understanding Travis that I just recently put him on ignore.

facepalm.jpg

What are we thinking of when we are asked about a 'good writer'?
Are we talking about an author like Chuck Palahniuk or are we talking about someone who writes newspaper columns, or what?

I don't know what Chuck Palahniuk writes, so I can't comment. I would not say journalists are bad writers; rather I would say it is the medium in which they write in that is not the best example for writing.

And I agree that the aggressiveness of parents is very important. Even so, there are times a kid will take initiative and become something greater.

this whole squabble could have been avoided if someone could have been kinda enough to let us know what was trying to be said. Anyways, lets drop this issue because clearly its not going to turn into a more pleasant conversation...

Presumably whether "deaf or hard of hearing" can be good writers would seem to involve how much they learned of "writing skills" in their schooling.

How much clarity/understanding one's writing can "evoke" in others-perhaps a "touchstone" of one's written skills?

Does this have application to "some comments " in various computer discussions?

I am deaf so no wonder why my handwriting looks sloppy. Wait a minute, are you talking about writing a book?

Ouch. That was kind of unnecessary.

From what I can understand, Travis is a sweetheart, a really, really, genuinely nice guy.
From what I can understand, I think what Travis has to say is valuable, which is why I would really, really like to do better at understanding him better.

I think if just once in a while somebody would be willing to help by walking through a post and translating it into English for people with rigidly English brains like mine, I think I could do better at beginning to figure that out on my own. I am well aware that it's not anybody's job here to help me figure out ASL. That's just- I dunno, a wish? An explanation?

My one deaf friend in real life also writes like Travis. I love her, but sometimes I am totally confused about what she's trying to say to me, and I'd like to get better at figuring it out, that's all.

It seem to be academic: isn't one of the purpose of WRITTEN WRITING to communicate one's ideas-clearly?
Obscurity is the opposite of clear writing.= for most of us-correct?

It seem to be academic: isn't one of the purpose of WRITTEN WRITING to communicate one's ideas-clearly?
Obscurity is the opposite of clear writing.= for most of us-correct?
Written writing?

As opposed to what?

To differentiate from "signed communication in written format"-hopefully.

Ouch. That was kind of unnecessary.

From what I can understand, Travis is a sweetheart, a really, really, genuinely nice guy.
From what I can understand, I think what Travis has to say is valuable, which is why I would really, really like to do better at understanding him better.

I think if just once in a while somebody would be willing to help by walking through a post and translating it into English for people with rigidly English brains like mine, I think I could do better at beginning to figure that out on my own. I am well aware that it's not anybody's job here to help me figure out ASL. That's just- I dunno, a wish? An explanation?

My one deaf friend in real life also writes like Travis. I love her, but sometimes I am totally confused about what she's trying to say to me, and I'd like to get better at figuring it out, that's all.

it is easy to understand. all you have to do is skim. try to stop thinking in rigid grammar. just skim the sentences, you will see the important words and be able to figure out what is being said. a translator is not needed. it is really that simple...

Can one surmise the "real reason" for "obtuse use of convoluted syntactic format" one's thinking style?

Can one surmise the "real reason" for "obtuse use of convoluted syntactic format" one's thinking style?

One suspects schizophrenia. :P

Do you have a different diagnosis??

Not having studied schizophrenia- no opinion.
A dictionary -Medical and Nursing encyclopedia- Coles Books. 1980 page 442, has in part "there is no loss of intelligence, but the thinking power is confused ; there is disturbance of emotional behaviour and conduct".
Applicable here?

Back