Does being deaf/hoh make you a bad writer?

were you talking about me being immature and stuff? sorry i couldn't follow what you were trying to say

wtf? you don't understand ;/

He has trouble processing your grammar and syntax. I am not always sure about exactly what you mean, either. I am sorry. That's not a criticism, and it's not meant to be hurtful. it's just a statement of fact.

If I recall correctly, Lucas doesn't know ASL, and as I have mentioned before, I seem to have a serious learning block when it comes to 'getting' the grammar.

I'm trying. But I have a long way to go.

No. I am deaf, and I think that I have pretty good grammar. Then again, proper English was drilled into my head from a very young age. I do read a lot of books to get information, but that is just a part of my personality - not necessarily because I'm deaf.

Keep in mind that there are MANY hearing people who cannot write a proper English sentence to save their lives. "Texting talk", as I call it, has taken over as the standard. A lot of kids and teens my age cannot write proper sentences. They aren't being taught how to write correctly in school. The teachers let lots of kids get away with "writn lyk dis" It's sad, really. And then I'm the weird one, because I write in complete sentences when I text... :roll:

I HATE it when people write like this:

u av d ryt 2 feel safe ll d tym, includN wen UzN ICT or yr mob ph.

GRRR!!! :mad:

But no, being deaf/hoh, in and of itself, doesn't mean that you cannot write sentences with correct grammar. It DOES depend on how the person - deaf/hoh or hearing - was taught grammar. Some people were not taught correctly, or the information was not presented in a way that the person could grasp. And there are a lot of people who just are not good at grammar or languages, period

You're not alone! I text in complete sentences too! if I'm in a hurry, however I'll try and text in short sentences such as.. "Brb, driving to school" or whatever. But other than that, I'll text in complete sentences.

You know what's funny? When my teenage daughter texts me, she uses complete sentences, but when she texts her friends, she uses text-speak. She knows I am OCD about grammar & spelling and will get irritated...:lol:

Further "irony" at some of the above comments. Lucas "welcome to the club"- apparently not understood.

I'll tell you honestly, it is harder to learn good English grammar if you don't hear well when you are young. Now, to be fair, there is a lot going on when you are a kid that makes you not concentrate in school and it has nothing to do with language(social pressure, making friends and enemies, etc). However, I believe learning language is extra hard and takes a lot of work. I can tell you, I practice more grammar today than I ever did when I was going through grade school and I'm still not great at it.

So, while some may not like this thread, the fact of the matter is, it is true that deaf and HOH don't have the best grammar skills. And, in adulthood, there really is no reason for it.

Language is what links us together, IMO. The more we speak the same language the stronger we are as a group.

I'll tell you honestly, it is harder to learn good English grammar if you don't hear well when you are young. Now, to be fair, there is a lot going on when you are a kid that makes you not concentrate in school and it has nothing to do with language(social pressure, making friends and enemies, etc). However, I believe learning language is extra hard and takes a lot of work. I can tell you, I practice more grammar today than I ever did when I was going through grade school and I'm still not great at it.

So, while some may not like this thread, the fact of the matter is, it is true that deaf and HOH don't have the best grammar skills. And, in adulthood, there really is no reason for it.

Language is what links us together, IMO. The more we speak the same language the stronger we are as a group.
That is not the fact of the matter. It is a generalization and it does not fit all deaf or HOH.

There are plenty of people with perfect hearing who have terrible grammar skills. Look on craigslist sometime and read the ads. You will find people cannot even spell simple words or use basic punctuation.

my writing isnt 12th grade but I know I can write good..that is all matters. I remember I was forced to go to reading classes in high-school and it was impossible..got all Fs and got laughed at and judged at...no fookin reasons to go thru dat. :mad2: The lady who was in charge of deaf program passed away and I mentioned on my facebook that I didnt give a FOOK! Felt so fawking GOOD...

In response to the very first post. I'd like to say it really depends on the person. I did not become HOH until I was 16 I'm 20. Yes as a child i had hearing trouble but it didn't really get adressed until 16. I'm a really good writer. I write a twilight diary on facebook. I write poems and songs and I've gotten high marks in English. But because of a LD I have always had trouble with grammar. Grammar isn't my strong point but the message that I try to convey makes sense.

Then there are some people who were either born in Canada or USA and they have really bad english skills. Thinking of a few family members. When I try to read what they say i can't because of their english skills. then im made fun of for knowing more than one language when they can't even do one properly.

He's young. You did an excellent imitation of Dr. Phil, but I think Lucas might be frustrated because he really does want to know what Travis was saying.

I don't . I think he was just picking on Travis. :wave:

I also don't think he understood my satire.

Not sure if "snarky" is a "Canadian" characteristic which might be worth a "in depth" study in
Sociology?

However does the use of ASL "syntax" usually cause non users of ASL to wonder at the "meaning attempted in English written sentences"?

Not to be obtuse-sometimes.

I don't . I think he was just picking on Travis. :wave:

I also don't think he understood my satire.

You could be right about him picking on Travis. But I wasn't picking on Travis, and I really am uncertain sometimes what he means, and I would like to know for sure. I think it would help me with my struggle to grasp ASL grammar.
I do think the problem is mostly mine and has to do with how I process grammar and syntax, but I don't know how to fix it.

You're definitely right about him not understanding your satire. That was a very, very clever bit of satire.

sorry there was nothing clever abut what bottesini said. It was just as she said her self.... "snarky". And I was definitely not trying to pick on anyone i was just trying to understand what was said to me.

That is not the fact of the matter. It is a generalization and it does not fit all deaf or HOH.

There are plenty of people with perfect hearing who have terrible grammar skills. Look on craigslist sometime and read the ads. You will find people cannot even spell simple words or use basic punctuation.

You can take it as a generalization, but it certainly has been my experience.

Are you saying that you have not encountered any sense that deaf/HOH have greater issues with grammar compared to the general population? Perhaps you had a different experience at college(I did not go to a deaf college), but surely in the general population you've experienced this.

It takes our group longer to even get degrees:
Hands & Voices :: Articles

Back