Does anyone else forget there is sound in the world?

My father has been legally blind all of his life, and now he is slowly loosing his hearing. He has just recently been diagnosed with alzheimers. And the thing with him is, he doesn't like to be touched at all. He doesn't see me trying to get his attention, and the louder I get he accuses me of yelling at me. My mom and his brothers, he the eldest, have tried to get him HA. But he refuses saying that he doesn't need them. I don't think he willing or able, due to his vision, to learn ASL. What are my mom & I to do?

Loss of hearing runs on my mom's side of the family, and it probably took my dad I'll say 20+ years to convince my mom to get HA. Her pride has always been the enemy but i can safely say she got hers in Nov last year and she's doing great with them. It was a lot of trouble though and I can some-what feel you pain, I hope Daddy realizes he needs his HA soon :)

Well, sometimes, you have to move a long way, so you and family can have a better quality of life. Besides, you husband would like to earn more money to support his family without relying on MIL all the time. Who knows maybe there is a great school for your son to attend if he wants. Would be interesting to see if there's a school that can accommodate your daughter.

Which city in Texas, do you know?

The cities he can remember aren't in Texas. He has to find out again tonight in class. **Just remembered, Tyler, Tx.**

Daughter is not able to handle school setting and so we will continue with the home school for her. Son isn't sure yet what he wants to do if we move. As it stands, he may stay with home school, but he's not sure.

Hubby is very much wanting to get away from his mother. She is really trying to tie him down emotionally again and he's sick of it. He said it is worse than when he was younger and before we married. She is very controlling and manipulative.

Last edited:
The cities he can remember aren't in Texas. He has to find out again tonight in class. **Just remembered, Tyler, Tx.**

Daughter is not able to handle school setting and so we will continue with the home school for her. Son isn't sure yet what he wants to do if we move. As it stands, he may stay with home school, but he's not sure.

Hubby is very much wanting to get away from his mother. She is really trying to tie him down emotionally again and he's sick of it. He said it is worse than when he was younger and before we married. She is very controlling and manipulative.

I just had a gander at Tyler, TX website. Looks like a charming town. I see some schools there offers advanced placement and International Baccalaureate. IB is a very challenging program, which might suits your boy. Also they have a couple of Universities.

Don't blame your hubby for wanting to break free from his mother. She is not doing him any favour by behaving the way she is now.

Loss of hearing runs on my mom's side of the family, and it probably took my dad I'll say 20+ years to convince my mom to get HA. Her pride has always been the enemy but i can safely say she got hers in Nov last year and she's doing great with them. It was a lot of trouble though and I can some-what feel you pain, I hope Daddy realizes he needs his HA soon :)

I hope soon too. *sigh* we shall see.

Back