Does Anybody Get This As Well?

Daminx

Reaction score
i was in the bank withdrawing £2 out of my account when the lady decided to be awkward and ask me if I wanted 2 £1 coins or just 1£2 coin, she didn't know I was hard of hearing because I only just met her, I said "pardon" and she got slightly annoyed and over anuinciated what she said, I didn't say anything apart from "thank you" once I got my money. But why must people get annoyed about hard of hearing people? We can't help it! Get this I only said pardon once! And there was a piece of glass in between me and the lady, the stall next to me had a hearing aid symbol on it but the others didn't, even if the I was in the hearing aid friendly booth it wouldn't help me because I don't wear hearing aids.

A lot.

Most times though I think they start to over enunciate and/or raise their voice higher on some unconscious level and not always realize they're doing it. Haven't really run into someone getting annoyed- just the above.

Only person who (in my experience and memory)over enunciated consciously was my grandmother (and I gave her a pass on that).

I get the annoyance when asked to repeat quite often. More and more I avoid the verbal conversation completely. If it is something simple, like placing an order or something, I write a note of what I want. When it is my turn, I point to my ear, shake my head, and had over the note. They get it - you're deaf and the communication goes more smoothly.

I think I may have given you this advise before but my top tip for most situations is to be prepared before you walk into the place and write down everything that you want to say to the person either on a note on your phone or on paper.

Like, we're lucky that in Scotland we have pay in machines to put money into our accounts and normal ATM's to take money from our account so interaction isn't needed.

But if it is then I normally write everything down and slip the piece of paper through the hole in the glass to the teller, same with most places. I'm pretty much recognised at my Local Bubble tea bar now and they know my order so I don't need to write anything

It's just when a worker starts being awkward and asks something that you don't expect them to say or something different from what they normally say, going to the bank is usually repetitive and you know what they are going to say from the get go.

I get this a lot and I normally turn my head so they can see my HA but that doesn't always work. After a while I will just start nodding until they stop talking.

This happens to me all the time when I'm at a marching band competition and I don't have one of my friends who signs standing near/by me. Like I'll just be sitting there on my phone, standing in line at concessions, or reading and all of the sudden someone will kinda slap me to get my attention and then yell at me. I usually take my CI off while waiting in between pre-lims and finals, but my HA is pretty visible. It's like neon blue. How do people not notice that and why do they always get mad at me? It's not my fault! Hearing people should look more closely before doing that.

pay no attention :)

Fuzzy

LOL...pruse ur lips and give 'em a kissy..eyes closed!...and if they are shocked...say..." 'twat?...here...take my #"...and pass over ur request at the same time...people get irritated at anytime of the day...not only to deafies, hearing too. If the teller was female, maybe she had PMS that day...or was constipated....who really knows?

Back