DO you

I'm sure everyone thinks they are same online and offline(other than the malicious posters who think they have anonymity). However, all things even, it would take a lot of introspection to answer this one.

All I can say is I give the same answers both online and offline.

No offense or anything, just disagreement in perspectives - I doubt the above in bold.
If I ever went into the psychology or psychiatry field I'd be interested in researching the impact of the internet on certain people who act different online than they are in real life. I think of the internet as a 'escape self' for some folks to act a way they don't do in reality. The internet is their "true self" if they were not held back by social-physical norms (like the gaze of someone's eyes or someone's head shaking in disapproval). In real life, because there are so many expectations/standards, personality types (extroversion vs introversion) people receive and act differently according to verbal, physical, visual, and other clues. On the internet, you're only conversing in the verbal trait, the other traits are eliminated thus a person has more control over "how they want" to reply.

Like you said about anonymity: cyberbullies, you have the ones who are tough online and tough in real life, but for some cyberbullies you have ones who act tough online and in real life they are just a scrawny kid. Their perspective of self is different because there aren't much conditions that hold them back from posting the way they want to (unless if their mom was posting on the same forum or something).

I would make it a dissertation or thesis or something, unfortunately it's not my field.

I try really hard not to say anything with an attitude, on or offline. People tend to say really stupid things in anger and ruin their friendships, and I'm not about that at all. I try to leave my snippy attitude in the bedroom when I roll out from under the covers. :)

Thinking about this I would think you can't be the same online and in person. It would just be a matter of degree, as in how different you are. Writing down your thoughts is totally different from speaking your mind or signing.

Thinking about this I would think you can't be the same online and in person. It would just be a matter of degree, as in how different you are. Writing down your thoughts is totally different from speaking your mind or signing.

This is a very good point and is why meeting someone in person is sometimes different than expected.

Wirelessly posted

I am pretty much the same offline as online. I sometimes visit the rant thread Phillips made lol I don't see it around here lol
Last time she was on here people jumped all over her telling her how stupid what she said was. Might have something to do with that.

Really depends on how my life circumstances influence me, then it will bleed off on others who can then perceive my mood. The only exception is when I have an alcoholic drink, my common sense will become vulnerable to some smart-pants and hilarious communication. So the sum of its parts will give you an indication of where our moods are at.

Wirelessly posted

goodonya said:
Wirelessly posted

I am pretty much the same offline as online. I sometimes visit the rant thread Phillips made lol I don't see it around here lol
Last time she was on here people jumped all over her telling her how stupid what she said was. Might have something to do with that.

Awww bummer! It was the perfect thread for ranting lol better to let it all out in there than trolling other threads. Such a shame

let me see.. yeah I can be grumpy on some days but otherwise than that nah I'm more of quiet in real life but online nah I'm a dork that's for sure ;)

hmm - no I dont think I appear to be as snippy in person compared to online- but then its a self assessment . You guys just need to meet me in person I'd say.

One thing I noticed though - My words I type here appears snobby and snotty but I dont talk/sign that way. LOL!:giggle:

hmm - no I dont think I appear to be as snippy in person compared to online- but then its a self assessment . You guys just need to meet me in person I'd say.

One thing I noticed though - My words I type here appears snobby and snotty but I dont talk/sign that way. LOL!:giggle:

:giggle: Ok ok one of those days, i know i ll meet you in person. then i will decide from there.

No offense or anything, just disagreement in perspectives - I doubt the above in bold.
If I ever went into the psychology or psychiatry field I'd be interested in researching the impact of the internet on certain people who act different online than they are in real life. I think of the internet as a 'escape self' for some folks to act a way they don't do in reality. The internet is their "true self" if they were not held back by social-physical norms (like the gaze of someone's eyes or someone's head shaking in disapproval). In real life, because there are so many expectations/standards, personality types (extroversion vs introversion) people receive and act differently according to verbal, physical, visual, and other clues. On the internet, you're only conversing in the verbal trait, the other traits are eliminated thus a person has more control over "how they want" to reply.

Like you said about anonymity: cyberbullies, you have the ones who are tough online and tough in real life, but for some cyberbullies you have ones who act tough online and in real life they are just a scrawny kid. Their perspective of self is different because there aren't much conditions that hold them back from posting the way they want to (unless if their mom was posting on the same forum or something).

I would make it a dissertation or thesis or something, unfortunately it's not my field.

I agree with that perspective. However, what happens when someone who is, "their true self online" gets caught by a mod such as yourself? Do they then conform to social pressures just as the would IRL? If they do then how much different is online than real life?

But, the thread is really about whether they, "believe" THEY are the same online as in real life, not whether they really are, right? Delusional people are everywhere.

Back