Do you feel that? - 2011 AllDeaf Winter Contest discussion and chat

Hmm, what's up with all the "Premium" icons?

I am out...I suck at poems. :) Good luck everyone.

I out too...syllables yet another thing deaf-from-birth will never "get"

I enjoy reading everyone's but me. I lack of creativity therefore im out. So Good Luck!!

where's LinuxGold? Looking forward to his dirty haiku

I thought we were limited to just one entry only?

There's a website for everything --

How Many Syllables . com

This counts the syllables for you.

OK, no excuses now! Lets see more haikus! :)

I realized later after I was offline that I had had a brain fart. Obviously, while this web site will help some people like myself (I apparently get confused between syllables and some dipthongs, and why isn't "ed" considered a syllable?), also, obviously, this is not going to help everyone. My apologies.

BTW, I am enjoying reading the haikus. Thank you Mbrek for starting this thread!

I realized later after I was offline that I had had a brain fart. Obviously, while this web site will help some people like myself (I apparently get confused between syllables and some dipthongs, and why isn't "ed" considered a syllable?), also, obviously, this is not going to help everyone. My apologies.

BTW, I am enjoying reading the haikus. Thank you Mbrek for starting this thread!

It seems to work. Why won't it?

It seems to work. Why won't it?

The web site does work but I imagine it would be very tiresome and tedious for someone to use who has no reason to have any understanding of what the English language sounds like.

I can imagine how tiresome it would be for me to guess where the syllable breaks are, if any, in a words from the Finnish or Swahili languages. AFAIK, those languages have no Latin or Greek roots in common with the English language and I would probably be totally lost as to where the syllable breaks are.

The web site does work but I imagine it would be very tiresome and tedious for someone to use who has no reason to have any understanding of what the English language sounds like.

I can imagine how tiresome it would be for me to guess where the syllable breaks are, if any, in a words from the Finnish or Swahili languages. AFAIK, those languages have no Latin or Greek roots in common with the English language and I would probably be totally lost as to where the syllable breaks are.

But for Haiku, it doesn't matter. That counts them so you can be sure. It isn't metered or rhymed.

Haiku is very freeform, so where syllables break is completely inconsequential. There is no reason deaf people can't write well.

I wouldn't try rhymed or metered poetry writing myself, but I am grateful to my father for giving me a good grounding in writing the English language.

But for Haiku, it doesn't matter. That counts them so you can be sure. It isn't metered or rhymed.

Haiku is very freeform, so where syllables break is completely inconsequential. There is no reason deaf people can't write well.

I wouldn't try rhymed or metered poetry writing myself, but I am grateful to my father for giving me a good grounding in writing the English language.

I agree that there is no reason that deaf people can't write English well.

Re syllables, I think that the general rule in English is one vowel per syllable and that the syllables usually break between consonants. However, there are enough exceptions that I can see that someone who has never heard English would not find double checking each word for the number of syllables before writing a Haikus to be a fun activity.

But perhaps this is the case for you? I'm new enough to the forum that I still don't know everyone's story -- even if they have posted frequently and for several years, like yourself.

I'm glad that your dad had the interest to help you with your English -- he sounds like a special person.

I agree that there is no reason that deaf people can't write English well.

Re syllables, I think that the general rule in English is one vowel per syllable and that the syllables usually break between consonants. However, there are enough exceptions that I can see that someone who has never heard English would not find double checking each word for the number of syllables before writing a Haikus to be a fun activity.

But perhaps this is the case for you? I'm new enough to the forum that I still don't know everyone's story -- even if they have posted frequently and for several years, like yourself.

I'm glad that your dad had the interest to help you with your English -- he sounds like a special person.

Oh, well. I am not saying anybody has to do it. Haiku are like patterns. I like them.

Back