Do you feel that? - 2011 AllDeaf Winter Contest discussion and chat

My mad Google-fu tells me:

Act 4, Scene 1 of William Shakespeare's Macbeth

Do I get a prize?

Yeaaaahh.... I feel that... thanks! I had a great time last night....

All right, I will give up the first contest!

But before I do, you should know I have a secret co-conspirator who's helping me on this. Yes, there are prizes... real ones. I will personally be contributing another one of my creations for those of you who missed out on the holiday giveaway (see sticky thread) but there will be others in addition.

First up... haiku contest! For those of you who are unfamiliar with haiku, it is a form of Japanese poetry consisting of three lines. The first line has five syllables, the second seven, and the last line has five again. No worries if you are "phoenetically challenged", haiku does not have rhyme. As for syllables, you can check your words online at a dictionary site. The word "example" has three syllables: ex·am·ple.

There are other puzzles coming, but this one will get you started! Enter as many as you wish. I will start a haiku thread you can post them to (later this evening). Cast your vote with a "like". Vote as many times as you wish. The one with the most "likes" will be our winner. Deadline... yet to be decided. But you'll have at least a week, maybe more. I'll give a 24-hour notice before it ends.

What do you say ADers... want to play?

All right, I will give up the first contest!

But before I do, you should know I have a secret co-conspirator who's helping me on this. Yes, there are prizes... real ones. I will personally be contributing another one of my creations for those of you who missed out on the holiday giveaway (see sticky thread) but there will be others in addition.

First up... haiku contest! For those of you who are unfamiliar with haiku, it is a form of Japanese poetry consisting of three lines. The first line has five syllables, the second seven, and the last line has five again. No worries if you are "phoenetically challenged", haiku does not have rhyme. As for syllables, you can check your words online at a dictionary site. The word "example" has three syllables: ex·am·ple.

There are other puzzles coming, but this one will get you started! Enter as many as you wish. I will start a haiku thread you can post them to (later this evening). Cast your vote with a "like". Vote as many times as you wish. The one with the most "likes" will be our winner. Deadline... yet to be decided. But you'll have at least a week, maybe more. I'll give a 24-hour notice before it ends.

What do you say ADers... want to play?

Uh oh... I'm a fan of Haiku, my best Zen feeling.... I got lot of them. mmmm...lemmeeee see.

That's right.. AD'ers :lol:. I have come to throw away my costume and tell you that there will be a prize/money/etc giveaway event that will begin later sometime next month.

We have multiple game events planned. Prize Donors will come from multiple people, from me, Alex, mbrek, and other AD'ers. mbrek is starting one now!

This is just to get you on your toes to know what you are in for! Be around and don't forget to join for a chance to win some money or prizes. :)
Tell your friends, other friends, ad'er friends. You'll need them.... :devil:

Here's one I wrote long time ago...

As the leaves falling
Wind play with leaves, let afloat!
As it land, it died.

This is when I start learning to write Haiku, not a great one....

Mbrek...YOU click "Like" in a wrong place!!! Next one down!! Next one down!! Not this one!!

Haiku's are easy
but sometimes they make no sense
refrigerator

(sadly, this gem is not a TWA original. :()

You guys are cheating! Follow directions or you will be reprimanded.
emot-cop.gif

Failure to comply will result in termination of your activities on AllDeaf.
emot-hitler.gif

... I'm not being serious. :P

I'm just curious; is there a theme to the haikus? That could probably help a lot of the contestants. Give us some direction. We like structure.

Hmmm... I thought to leave it open. But if you like structure, why not either a holiday theme or deaf/hoh? Does that work?

I feel that we will not judge you on what you pick, but that the people who decide the outcome.

Here are some to get an idea of, but anything goes of course:

Deafness/ Sign Language
Holidays
Friends
Favorite person
Pet
Hero
Enemy

Usually what Haiku do, of course what she described above consist of 17 syllables, 5,7,5, also involve of 3 W's... What, when and where, 1st line, second line and 3rd line respective order. Usually whenever I see something, like leaves, then I use that to write about leaves. I have a bag somewhere that contain one word each, maybe about 20 of them in the bag. So, I blindly grab one tiny card in the bag and I read it. Then I write about this word for the day.

Back