Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

The real test will come when the daughter wants to marry. I've know parents of HOH daughters who have tried to keep them from marrying Deaf/HOH men.

100% true.

The real test will come when the daughter wants to marry. I've know parents of HOH daughters who have tried to keep them from marrying Deaf/HOH men.

True, that. And I would venture to say the same with trying to keep deaf sons from marrying a D/deaf/hoh spouse. All based on a severe misunderstanding of the way genetics works.

Absolutely true. "Why would you ever want to marry a deaf man? is that really a wise idea? don't you think it's better to marry someone who can take care of you?

ugh.

Last edited:
I fit into that category for real. Don't marry her. Her family has a dominant deafness that could be passed down to the children. :shock:

I know a HOH whose parents disowned her when she married a Deaf man. They've been married for decades and have grandkids now. Yep, bad idea. :roll::laugh2:

Deaf Caroline, some moms of hearing girls want to marry off the daughters to be rid of them, too. It's a general perspective on the status and function of women in society.

I know a HOH whose parents disowned her when she married a Deaf man. They've been married for decades and have grandkids now. Yep, bad idea. :roll::laugh2:

Damn, that's even worse than my childhood best friend's family threatening to boycott the wedding if she invited any signing friends to it.

Deaf Caroline, some moms of hearing girls want to marry off the daughters to be rid of them, too. It's a general perspective on the status and function of women in society.

Totally! my parents thought for sure I only needed an "ivory tower" education so I can have intelligent conversations with my husband when he got home from work.

I'm not joking.

As the family member of Holocaust survivors the moronism of this conspiracy thread just made my day, LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Errr, I love the superiority of the deaf culture? I mean...I'm deaf, my kids won't necessarily be deaf, you do realize you are losing a 5th sense, which isn't a big deal, but it's not exactly a desirable element. It would be like saying, let's all become learning disabled and economically disadvantaged to convince ourselves we are superior.

The Malcom X of deafies!!! LOL

I am 100% for deaf pride, and tolerance of it, and I have friends with learning disability, but as the phrase implies, it's a disability. I made that analogy that people would agree it's silly to just try emulate a certain group to show you support/appreciate them. My friends do not need to act deaf,or anything to let me know they support me. Signing in ASL? Sure, and that's pretty cool.

such as this swim team, :D Deaf swimmer's teammates learn sign language | abc7chicago.com

Is it so important to promote deafness? Overal I feel we have it the easiest in regards to disabilities, and ASL is cool, however I know I'd get a blank stare and nothing to eat if I did that. the same is true if I spoke english in many areas here....I need to speak spanish since there are mexican workers in little russia and china town (idk chinese..) or I'll speak hebrew, :P

I agree, it's important not to hide it...however, I don't see it as a big deal.Just like i don't wake up every morning thinking, I'm white, I'm dutch, I must show the world...

I just don't...I'm deaf, and that's about it?

I am sorry to hear your losses as well, my point had nothing to do with the jewish aspect, but that was why they were persecuted. The title of this thread is so silly when it discusses the "challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming hearing" and it's rather insulting when there are real problems and real issues going on in the world, than this "imaginary" assimilation.

The context this thread was put in really sounded like the hearing were making some type of forced conversions of the deaf, the way the Christians did in African nations, the Americas, Australia etc...
You are saying my view does not matter, can I interpret this some other way?

If you don't want your opinion discounted -- Don't discount those of others.

It amazes me that some parents become estranged from their own children. I can't imagine anything my kids could do that would lead to that.

It amazes me that some parents become estranged from their own children. I can't imagine anything my kids could do that would lead to that.

Parents fight with their kids over the dumbest things.

Come to think of it parents fight with each other over the dumbest things.

I remember a couple who wound up getting a divorce because one was a democrat and the other a republican -- And they insisted the children choose.

Yep, I wish hearing people could claim that kind of longevity.

Nor can I. But you would be amazed at some of the absurd reasons that parents cut off contact with their children. Makes me shake my head in sadness.

Parents fight with their kids over the dumbest things.

Come to think of it parents fight with each other over the dumbest things.

I remember a couple who wound up getting a divorce because one was a democrat and the other a republican -- And they insisted the children choose.

No way! wow! poor kids.

Nor can I. But you would be amazed at some of the absurd reasons that parents cut off contact with their children. Makes me shake my head in sadness.

despair more like it

and yes i dont welcome those hardnosed audists bent on wrecking the thread,
there is TWO major things i noticed about this twits-wanna-be's
1) they never own up their tactics, as opposed you would explain why and how you used English for instance, 'I would have said you are a twit' have NEVER seen them do that, instead they want you get caught and laught at your ban, it's outright pitiful that sort of behaviour
2) hopped in theirs\ tread very few times, saying I refuse to respond and said their veiw/intent on such threads (Hoh/deaf are you fluent in language (Englsh) , they have a shocking amount of arrogance and rude and even contempt is quite apparent. In fact, i refuse to contribute in anyway in their threads from now on. They (KN, G, etc) are just wasting my time, and many others would feel the same, I am sure.

for these 2 reasons I really hope the mods would consider an appropriate action to teach them a lesson or two about respect and backing off where they know its not there place...
but i honesty dont think they would - probably because of the sponsors to thie forum?? i wont go further talking about this, obviously i dont want a ban myself,\. However,i do wish this (and i think alot or most of us) thread want to explore the unsaid, unchartered discussion of oppression and revolution and insight instead we get bombarded by those psychotic sign-language-haters

despair more like it

and yes i dont welcome those hardnosed audists bent on wrecking the thread,
there is TWO major things i noticed about this twits-wanna-be's
1) they never own up their tactics, as opposed you would explain why and how you used English for instance, 'I would have said you are a twit' have NEVER seen them do that, instead they want you get caught and laught at your ban, it's outright pitiful that sort of behaviour
2) hopped in theirs\ tread very few times, saying I refuse to respond and said their veiw/intent on such threads (Hoh/deaf are you fluent in language (Englsh) , they have a shocking amount of arrogance and rude and even contempt is quite apparent. In fact, i refuse to contribute in anyway in their threads from now on. They (KN, G, etc) are just wasting my time, and many others would feel the same, I am sure.

for these 2 reasons I really hope the mods would consider an appropriate action to teach them a lesson or two about respect and backing off where they know its not there place...
but i honesty dont think they would - probably because of the sponsors to thie forum?? i wont go further talking about this, obviously i dont want a ban myself, but yep i do, and i think alot or most of us in this thread want to explore the unsaid, unchartered discussion of oppression and revolution and insight instead we get bombarded by those psychotic sign-language-haters

Agree 100%. It is a shame that we have productive threads derailed due to some people being self serving.

Wow, lets get back on topics pleasee...ok marriage and becoming hearing have a connection? Lol dont think so...its a doomed path, hearing parents needs to realise that forced preference marriage is the worst thing you can do to your children, while let alone forcing speech over sign (or using sign to teach spoken ways as a cheat around '[word] concepts' is already alot of damage, why add it?!!

oh i said marry me lol (in case some of you missed it)

Is that an open offer? I might be available later. :giggle:

I think that marriage is related. It's a strong indicator of acceptance.

Back