Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

Looks like I got the year wrong as to when drphil was on the same thread as deafdyke, shel90 and jillio talking about CIs not being the main threat. The search function on this site is not working so great so i can't find that thread anymore. Argh. Oh well, doesn't matter.

Still evidence of the fact that in any context, we could not be considered to be deaf militants, as our objection is not to the devise, but to the actions that occur following implantation.

In the first paragraph, you are referring to cultural transmission and cultural contact. That is irrelevent to the topic of a deaf child's language development.

Okay then, who communicates in ASL only? I know of no one.

So, you expect a 7 year old child to take the bull by the horns and make up for the deficits in his/her educational system?

What rectifications are those?

The fact still stands that ASL is not a hindrance to a deaf child's language development.

Re-read my post, please. I posted of my experience here in Houston and the number would be close to 15% who communicate in ASL-only. Perhaps you don't know of any and perhaps you don't know of any hearing people who can't read/write, however, as posted, I've met plenty. Is it your position that all deaf and hearing know how to read/write?
For the child/minor it would be the responsibility of the parent(s) but you already knew that. For the adult, it would be their own responsibility. The rectifications are out there and, no excuse, the deaf/hearing person can get busy finding them and using them.
It will always be a proven fact that people who can not read/write will be oppressed. Those deaf you refere to as not being oppressed are NOT ASL-only, they know how to read/write, which in turn means they have learn a second language, English (our their mothers tongue). Hearing people who speak and THAT IS ALL, are as Shel90 says, oppressed. People who use ASL and THAT IS ALL are oppressed.

I think his quote was:

You could interpret that in one of two ways: in the context of his whole quote including his friends who cannot read, as meaning 'ASL-alone, without literacy hinders ...' or you could read it out of context as 'the fact that ASL has no written component can harm ... '

I am sorry...I dont see it that way. I see it as a negative portrayal of ASL which I constantly see over and over again with people who are ignorance about language development.

You see it however you want...but I am objecting to it.

Re-read my post, please. I posted of my experience here in Houston and the number would be close to 15% who communicate in ASL-only. Perhaps you don't know of any and perhaps you don't know of any hearing people who can't read/write, however, as posted, I've met plenty. Is it your position that all deaf and hearing know how to read/write?
For the child/minor it would be the responsibility of the parent(s) but you already knew that. For the adult, it would be their own responsibility. The rectifications are out there and, no excuse, the deaf/hearing person can get busy finding them and using them.
It will always be a proven fact that people who can not read/write will be oppressed. Those deaf you refere to as not being oppressed are NOT ASL-only, they know how to read/write, which in turn means they have learn a second language, English (our their mothers tongue). Hearing people who speak and THAT IS ALL, are as Shel90 says, oppressed. People who use ASL and THAT IS ALL are oppressed.

Those people are oppressed NOT because of spoken English and NOT because of ASL.

It is because they ARE illliterate!!!

Wirelessly posted (HTC Thunderbolt)

kokonut said:
You don't have a TV at home with captioning capability on it?

No. I have a computer that is plugged in to my TV with media center software to watch either downloaded TV shows, movies or streaming services like Hulu, all of which have the option of CC, but none of which are live.

Last edited:

jillio said:
If you want a resource for this kind of information, The Linguistics of ASL is a good reference.

I'll look into that. :ty:

Last edited:

rolling7 said:
First, Welcome Back

If you can prove to all that ASL can be spoken and written, then I'll admit my statement is false.
Otherwise don't be making injurious statements about me.

If you can prove that a chicken is made out of concrete then I'll admit that I secretly slept with the president. If you can't, then please stop saying my mother is a hamster.

Your statement has nothing to do with your assertion.

AD lacks any member who would known as an expert in the fields of structural anthropology, ethnolinguistics and/or anthropological linguistics. However, it has been held by these experts that ancient civilizations without any written language, and therefore no reading, were restricted in their culture development due to the ability to mass communicate. This simple means that until written language came about one generation could not share learned ideas with a future generation. Recognized are cave drawings and picture writing, which in themselves lead to a written language. Even today there are civilizations without a written language, and we all know how oppressed these are compared to others in the United Nations. Those who are experts in the fields always say that the more developed a language is, and they do include reading and writing into their equation, the more advance the civilization.

Again, though, nobody is advocating in favor of ASL entirely by itself. ASL is being advocated as a replacement/alternative for spoken English. To the best of my knowledge, nobody is trying to convince the parents of a newly born deaf child to teach the child ASL and nothing else, which is what you're acting like some people are doing.

Jillio ask the question: "Who teaches ASL only?" To me that is beside the point here, as you can go back and read that I'm focus on those who communicate in ASL-only. This seems to be a difficult idea for most to understand. However, I'm not "picking on" ASL-only deaf. I'm only acknowledging they exist. Here in Houston with its large deaf population, I would say 15% of the deaf I socialize with are ASL-only. One of the ways I know is because our monthly ASL social, Latino social and other socials are held at sit down restaurants. You can identify the ASL-only deaf by the fact there can not read the menu and need help, which I among others provide.
Within the U.S.A.hearing population would you be willing to agree with me that 15% can not read nor write? I think the percent is close but can offer no proof.

That's very likely due to their parents and education system not teaching them any language early in life.

A question for you. Which of the following scenarios do you think is more likely? (Note to jillio and shel - I know the answer, I want to see if rolling is actually claiming what he seems very much to be claiming.)

1) Among ASL users there is a higher illiteracy rate than non-ASL users because the acquisition of ASL as your first language inhibits the development of other written/read languages, such as English.

2) Among ASL users there is a higher illiteracy rate than non-ASL users because parents and the education system attempt to teach reading and writing to ASL users the same way they try to teach non-ASL users, which is less effective for ASL users.

3) Among ASL users there is a higher illiteracy rate than non-ASL users because of some other reason than those mentioned in #1 or #2.

Depending on your answer, there are tests that could determine whether that's actually the case or not, which are not subject to personal biases. Let me know if you're willing to look at those.

Now moving on to fault. Yes, it can be said for both deaf and hearing that the education system is lacking, however, I live in a "no excuse" world that I set my responsibility on ME. If for some reason I'm lacking in any area, I get busy and do what is necessary.

So... you're blaming the victims now? How large of you.

Which, once again, brings me back to fault. Granted young children, hearing and deaf, were deprived but in the U.S.A. today there are many rectifications (I'll quickly admit more for the hearing than for the deaf) and those who choose to ignore the rectifications are at fault and have only themself to blame.

More victim blaming. If you're harmed, then it's your own fault.

See my questions above.

Even more victim blaming.

Oppression is the actions of outside forces pushing those with less options than them back down. Illiteracy is oppression if options which are available to others are withheld to you, generally for reasons outside of your control (such as being born deaf).

(Previous posts edited to remove quote within a quote because I'm weird and that bugs me. No contents were changed.)

No. I have a computer that is plugged in to my TV with media center software to watch either downloaded TV shows, movies or streaming services like Hulu, all of which have the option of CC, but none of which are live.

So, you never had a tv all this time??

Those people are oppressed NOT because of spoken English and NOT because of ASL.

It is because they ARE illliterate!!!

AND why is that!

StSapphire, among others, is making it sp that I'm saying that some parents are teaching their child ASL exclusively our that schools/institutes do. Because I can not get into any persons life growing up I don't have facts to back me up, but neither does anyone else but that person. My point is that regardless of education background, I've met deaf who choose to go the ASL-only route. That was their decision. Over the years I've socialized with them often enough, had a signed conversation with them often enough and given independence thought on the issue to form an opinion that their life choices brought on the difficulties of their life including but not limited to reading and writing.
For those who would say I'm a deaf and/or ASL hater, I would suggest you re-read my posts on how I have attacked the hearing in the same manner. By now everyone should know I live by individual responsiblities. Those deaf who choose to be ASL-only have control over their lives and I do wish them well BUT don't wish to be in their shoes.

AND why is that!

StSapphire, among others, is making it sp that I'm saying that some parents are teaching their child ASL exclusively our that schools/institutes do. Because I can not get into any persons life growing up I don't have facts to back me up, but neither does anyone else but that person. My point is that regardless of education background, I've met deaf who choose to go the ASL-only route. That was their decision. Over the years I've socialized with them often enough, had a signed conversation with them often enough and given independence thought on the issue to form an opinion that their life choices brought on the difficulties of their life including but not limited to reading and writing.
For those who would say I'm a deaf and/or ASL hater, I would suggest you re-read my posts on how I have attacked the hearing in the same manner. By now everyone should know I live by individual responsiblities. Those deaf who choose to be ASL-only have control over their lives and I do wish them well BUT don't wish to be in their shoes.

Maybe not as often as you wish. I feel for you, I do. I used to look down on ASL users, but that was then, and today I am a completely different person. If you give yourself time and are honest with your feelings and opinions, the same could happen to you.

DC....yes, I did. Just a few of the reasons...."I don't like talking to hearies"...."I don't get the book but I read the newspaper" (for this one, I find out the guy uses the newspaper to get the sport scores and knows nothing of the article)........."I tried talking/reading but its just too hard to do"
Please understand these are NOT word-for-word but my take of an ASL comment.

BEOWULF..........I 100% do not look down on them, while I refuse to show pity I do assist and encourage them. My view point is, just like the hearing kids, the deaf have had a bad education system and apathy about it. My grandfather explain to me doing JFK's administration that the government was using a back door to come in and take control of the education of children. He was strong in his support that not even the principal nor teachers should be in control, only ALL the parents (mind you these where the days when a kid had TWO strict parents at home). Come today, he was totally right. The government wants to have a total say in education and parents are allowing this to happen right in their face. The result? All kids, deaf and hearing, are getting an inferior education. So No Beowulf, I don't look down on them but I am just one person to encourage them and point them to the help that Houston has for them. It becomes their choice to take advantage of it or not

So, you never had a tv all this time??

Haha, is it really that hard to believe? Growing up, my parents never paid for cable, so the only thing in the house we had was broadcast TV, so I didn't really watch TV that much. I'd prefer to read books.

So for the past... 5 years or so, no, I've not had a TV. Well, that's not entirely accurate. I have a TV. But it doesn't have a cable connection or an antenna, but it does have connections for my Wii and my server that I keep directly under it, which is what I use for watching the TV shows I'm actually interested in (via Hulu or downloading).

It's way cheaper than paying for Cable, and the one time I tried setting up an antenna, I got crap for reception and it added more cables to the mess behind it, so I just threw it out.

AND why is that!

That's what I tried to ask you. I'm asking, directly, why you think that is.

If they've actually chosen to go ASL-only (and have chosen to not know how to read and/or write) then they're not oppressed. If they've not been given the opportunities to learn how to read and write due to their deafness, then they've been oppressed.

However, that didn't answer the question I asked.

The reason it comes off that way is because people were talking about different methods of teaching language acquisition (oralism and ASL), which has nothing to do with reading and writing. If your point is just about people choosing (yeah, right... :roll:) to be illiterate or not, then bringing that up in the middle of a conversation about language acquisition certainly makes it seem as though you think that certain methods of language acquisition directly affect literacy, which is not the case.

DC....yes, I did. Just a few of the reasons...."I don't like talking to hearies"...."I don't get the book but I read the newspaper" (for this one, I find out the guy uses the newspaper to get the sport scores and knows nothing of the article)........."I tried talking/reading but its just too hard to do"
Please understand these are NOT word-for-word but my take of an ASL comment.

BEOWULF..........I 100% do not look down on them, while I refuse to show pity I do assist and encourage them. My view point is, just like the hearing kids, the deaf have had a bad education system and apathy about it. My grandfather explain to me doing JFK's administration that the government was using a back door to come in and take control of the education of children. He was strong in his support that not even the principal nor teachers should be in control, only ALL the parents (mind you these where the days when a kid had TWO strict parents at home). Come today, he was totally right. The government wants to have a total say in education and parents are allowing this to happen right in their face. The result? All kids, deaf and hearing, are getting an inferior education. So No Beowulf, I don't look down on them but I am just one person to encourage them and point them to the help that Houston has for them. It becomes their choice to take advantage of it or not

I get where you are coming from, but I wouldn't blame JFK. Heh. I was in grade school when I was informed he was shot. I took off my headphones and removed the wine cork from my mouth, and when my dizziness subsided, forgive me, but I was grateful for the break. :giggle: My parents did the best they could at the time, and in retrospect, they were wrong to think that the oral-only approach was the way to go. I am still paying for it today in a lot of ways but have come to accept it as my bad luck. My parents made an "informed decision" at the time, and what was wrong then is still wrong now. Today so many parents are deluged with "expert opinions" but the one thing they have in common is that they come from hearing people. :(

Parents absolutely HAVE TO make the right decision about their child and to do that they have to WORK, STUDY, RESEARCH, ASK 1000 QUESTIONS, etc. However, the proof is out there that there is tooooooooo much apathy.
When I brought my home back in 1973, the most important thing was school district, nothing else was #1 to me. Lost count of the number of PTA meeting, parent-teacher conference, visit with the principal, one-on-one talks between my boy and I, etc. but I was real serious about his education. GUESS WHAT! Doing all that, unknowingly, gave ME an education. Apathy is what is killing us all.

In the general metropolitan area of where I live, a house in a good school district might cost, easily, $50,000 - $100,000 more than a comparable house in a bad one. Many, many parents feel like you do, rolling7, that a good school district is the number 1 factor in where to buy a house.

Back