Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

Well...I was born to be trained to be Hearing and faced the challenge of removing that status. Yay me!

You faced it? I am still going through with it. I am often taken aback by the attitude I see in my hearing friends but still deal with it patiently. :(

I don't believe that Deaf people will ever be totally assimilated because people need to be surrounded by people like themselves, at least part of the time. People have a basic need to be understood, belong and be accepted. As much as I love the hearing people in my life, they do not understand, despite their best efforts.

Not sure if I can express any valuable input here for this thread....I'm late deafened and have been deaf 50 years....I was born hearing, and immersed into both worlds (hearing and deaf). So, I was not "trained" to be hearing or "trained" to be deaf.....maybe my mind set was trained to be "flexible". ??

I've adjusted into both worlds, not an easy task, but life is not an easy road to follow, either.....it's all about attitude. I cannot foresee (for myself) that there is a "challenge ahead of me to avoid becoming a hearing person"....as I am Me, myself and I.....

It's really about appeasing a powerful, dominant group. We all face the issue in some way during our life, whether because of race, gender, age, etc.

Awww...

with my mom here from AZ, I noticed that I revert back to being "hearing" like but without the audist attitudes. :deaf:

That is natural. The good news is that you see the difference.:wave:

If anyone needs evidence that hearing people are stupid then watch this video clip :giggle:

YouTube - ‪Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES‬‏

P.S. I know that this is a slightly cruel video and I will need to repent of my smug attitude later, but in the meantime I will have a good belly laugh :laugh2:

P.P.S. I also know that not all hearing people are stupid. But hey! making sweeping generalizations is fun at times :naughty:

And I will join you in that belly laugh!:laugh2:

You faced it? I am still going through with it. I am often taken aback by the attitude I see in my hearing friends but still deal with it patiently. :(

Sometimes it is a journey, not a destination.

to me, it would be never too strange. You want strange? try reading about Death and dying.. I am reading Lots of those, and for many visitors dropping in get freaked when they see 20+ Death books on the floor, coffee table, kitchen table...LOL

but when they start talking to me, its seem nothing too strange (I self-censor it for the sake of keeping conversations short)...
I've learned a bit about the tibetan book of the dead(vajrayana buddhism) myself. Death is indeed a very different thing in different cultures.

also, 'talking about ' i wanna be Deaf not hearing' in here would seem strange to Pro-HA, Pro-CI or curious visitor but we all know its NOT strange, But it does seem to get weirder and weirder as they read in deeper WHiLE for us, it gets Clearer and CLEARER because we all are putting all the intellectual/life experiences cards on the table to really see WHAT IS AUDISM.....so dont be afraid to ask, or dare say 'I wonder if this or that, would this be or could this be a way to heightening public awareness (in a true manner) than just Deaf Culture... Deaf culture is Great, im involved but for a long time it has be made 'cute' im sick of it, we need Better and more powerful ways to really say What it is and WHY it existed and WHY we like it, WHY it is appropriate and WHY mainstream view (audists') is dangerous and inappropriate...
Agree. This is perhaps excactly what I was thinking, too.

I see other minorities also strugle a bit with this, like getting a clear message through without that blah blah that gets one nowhere. In south africa, it's a term, coconut, that means a black who acts like a white or adjusts totally to white people. Brown on the outside, white on the inside, lol. By coindence we have a deaf poster here, named kokonut. I respect him as hoh, but sometimes.. Saying no more.

I see other minorities also strugle a bit with this, like getting a clear message through without that blah blah that gets one nowhere. In south africa, it's a term, coconut, that means a black who acts like a white or adjusts totally to white people. Brown on the outside, white on the inside, lol. By coindence we have a deaf poster here, named kokonut. I respect him as hoh, but sometimes.. Saying no more.

Glad to see you weighing in on this one, flip. And I love the analogy.:lol:

What I've learned after 40 years of being an oral, mainstreamed, wearing HAs, is that Deaf culture exists for a damn good reason.

What I've learned after 40 years of being an oral, mainstreamed, wearing HAs, is that Deaf culture exists for a damn good reason.

Yes, it does. It exists to fulfill a very basic human need that the Deaf have not been able to fulfill in any other environment. It exists for a good reason, and it continues for an even better one...it works.

Oh yes it does. I reaffirm it every time I meet a deafie on the street, in a store, in a crowd, wherever. I am like a dog that greets his master's return: I become very animated and the deaf person knows jolly well I am happy to see him or her. 'Course, I get stares for my actions but I don't give a whoop. :)

Heh, the less you say about him - the better. :whistle:

Not sure if I can express any valuable input here for this thread....I'm late deafened and have been deaf 50 years....I was born hearing, and immersed into both worlds (hearing and deaf). So, I was not "trained" to be hearing or "trained" to be deaf.....maybe my mind set was trained to be "flexible". ??

I've adjusted into both worlds, not an easy task, but life is not an easy road to follow, either.....it's all about attitude. I cannot foresee (for myself) that there is a "challenge ahead of me to avoid becoming a hearing person"....as I am Me, myself and I.....

its valuable, talking about how well hearing people managed to mind-control d/Deaf people into 'awareness' but at the depth which they prefer...like Deaf culture as a way of life, but 'dont let it get polititised'...Nope i want it to go all the way...(which is what Deafhood was about too)...

i was trained yes, and the more im aware of that, the more frightening it become apparent that i was 'dumb' for so long and that explained why i had such a stupid life as 'a troubled fool'and why my life was quite shallow with little or no social involvement, also to a point that i was afraid of discovering whats my real self/my real social person i am, or meant to be....oralism just plain sucks, it's actually Killed my life...but at the same time, "those" are so-called succeed at being professional and working in the 'Deaf industry" are not really purveyors of Deaf Culture but are "hearing on the inside" and "Deaf on the outside" like they use sign, but they fiercely conform to what 'understanding the world of money and rules/laws "more than others" and get big egos from 'hearing's skills of leadership using Deaf's signs..."
They make me sick and real fucking angry because they also failed to understand why there's 'shortage of interpreters' and even worse fail to understand the basic principle of Deaf Power.

in summary, they used Sign language/coupled with professionalism as ego-boosting (they call it confidence lol, and 'self-esteem') to become hearing, or in process of wanting to be hearing. I know this because i know a number those like it, I never see them at the Deaf club, or sport socials ONLY the national level or inter-regional events then yes..but its quite pretentious..

wont say much more until some of you add or disgree or articulate this 'particular hearing on the inside/Deaf on the outside' issue. Coconuts..what we call it here? Earmuffers?? LOL

Grummer: bed time reading. The Mystery of death Ladislaus Boros Herder & Herder N Y 1965. 200 pages. Only 3 chapters. 1-Methodological postulates for an analysis of death, 2-Philosophical basis for the hypothesis of a final decision 3- Theological discussion.

How this fits in being deaf-not sure?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Back