Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

also, 'talking about ' i wanna be Deaf not hearing' in here would seem strange to Pro-HA, Pro-CI or curious visitor but we all know its NOT strange, But it does seem to get weirder and weirder as they read in deeper WHiLE for us, it gets Clearer and CLEARER because we all are putting all the intellectual/life experiences cards on the table to really see WHAT IS AUDISM.....so dont be afraid to ask, or dare say 'I wonder if this or that, would this be or could this be a way to heightening public awareness (in a true manner) than just Deaf Culture... Deaf culture is Great, im involved but for a long time it has be made 'cute' im sick of it, we need Better and more powerful ways to really say What it is and WHY it existed and WHY we like it, WHY it is appropriate and WHY mainstream view (audists') is dangerous and inappropriate...

Why does Deaf Culture exist? To me, that answer is both simple and complex. Deaf Culture exists to support the members of that culture, to transmit values and norms and language from one generation to another, to preserve the history of a struggle long fought and still continuing today.

Fundamental to the human condition is a need for belonging, a place of safety, where one is free to be one's imperfect self and still feel acceptance and understanding, and to experience a sense of pride in one's history and existence. Given the fact that the vast majority of Deaf come from hearing families, have been raised more in hearing society than in Deaf culture, and have always, no matter the best of circumstances, been in a position of knowing that they are different than are their most close family members. The feeling of true belonging, of true safety, has never exisited for these individuals. Their first experience with such is when they discover a culture that is built around the very same experiences, the very same emotions, the very same struggles that they have endured their entire life. No longer do they feel that they are trying to be what is unconsciously expected of them, but are free to be just as they are, to function in the way they were meant to function, and not fall short. In hearing society, no matter how hard they tried, they always, always fell short...not because they were incapable or unable to compete, but simply because of the fact of their birth. They could not hear. Nothing, nothing, nothing could make them hearing. And in a society that values auditory function, no matter how much they excelled, they would never achieve what they strived to achieve...hearing status. Deaf Culture makes that striving unnecessary. Deaf Culture provides the empowerment of allowing the individual to know that their deafness is no more a significant difference than is the difference between blue eyes and brown eyes. Deaf Culture provides that sense of sameness, of acceptance, of being valued for intrinsic qualities rather than extrinsic, for those that have been able to find it any where else. Deaf Culture exists to provide a refuge from the audist society in which every single deaf individual must function on a daily basis. Without it, many would not survive the struggle intact. Deaf Culture exists to heal the wounds created, often unintentionally, by an audist society.

Death and dying is a topic that is uncomfortable for most...no one wants to face their own mortality.

i know, but thats why im studying it, to get over my own. and also it would be helpful in future to help people grief and get through bereavement. and also its really about how society unfluences us how we deal with it. (good and bad)

i know, but thats why im studying it, to get over my own. and also it would be helpful in future to help people grief and get through bereavement. and also its really about how society unfluences us how we deal with it. (good and bad)

Absolutely agreed. The process of grief and bereavement is very much culturally determined. And, in order to assist others with that process, we must be able to face and understand our own issues. I have had more than one academic course in the topic. Given the number of losses I have experienced in my life, I can tell you that learning more about the process, and being honest and sincere in my attempts to recognize certain attitudes in myself, was a growth experience. I wish you well in that discovery of your own.

And the topic is pertinent to the journey into Deafhood, as well.

I was talking with a deaf woman from my town about social meets for the deaf/hoh because I couldn't find any info on the internet for my hometown and she was telling me that more and more services for the Deaf is getting shut down, funding cut off, and that because of this, the deaf community is becoming fragmented and out of touch with each other. Why? Because of oralism and CIs. They perpetuate the myths that they solve all the problems we face as deaf/hoh people. She also said the other major problem is lack of leadership, no one is stepping up to fight all this. Which is alarming...

I was talking with a deaf woman from my town about social meets for the deaf/hoh because I couldn't find any info on the internet for my hometown and she was telling me that more and more services for the Deaf is getting shut down, funding cut off, and that because of this, the deaf community is becoming fragmented and out of touch with each other. Why? Because of oralism and CIs. They perpetuate the myths that they solve all the problems we face as deaf/hoh people. She also said the other major problem is lack of leadership, no one is stepping up to fight all this. Which is alarming...

It is time to organize. Time to allow sameness to be recognized, needs to be recognized, to speak up not just for self, but for all.

I was accused in a thread that got closed of speaking for the Deaf population as a hearing person. While it is true that I am hearing, I do not speak for the Deaf. I speak with the Deaf.

It is time to organize. Time to allow sameness to be recognized, needs to be recognized, to speak up not just for self, but for all.

I was accused in a thread that got closed of speaking for the Deaf population as a hearing person. While it is true that I am hearing, I do not speak for the Deaf. I speak with the Deaf.

that's what im doing too, I have a secret motive that I can't spell it out here (theres a number of members in this forum whose I don't trust..), or it will get ruined...but the hint is it's going to address some of the so-called shortage of interpreters problem...

I noticed no answer ==what is "white hearing culture" ? I thought ethnic configuration wasn't a criteria for deafness?

Is this part of the secret "deaf culture transmission" re not enough interpreters? Right: one way to restrict "gnostic" deaf secrets. Special signs?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I noticed no answer ==what is "white hearing culture" ? I thought ethnic configuration wasn't a criteria for deafness?

Is this part of the secret "deaf culture transmission" re not enough interpreters? Right: one way to restrict "gnostic" deaf secrets. Special signs?

White hearing culture is the predominant culture in the U.S. and Canada. White hearing people make up the majority, and therefore, determine cultural values, norms, and language of the majority.

Just stop and think before asking these questions. It really isn't as difficult as you seem to want to make it.

Sarcasm noted, but not appreciated in this discussion. That is why your first post was ignored.

Sorry I didn't know there was such a thing here in Canada as "white hearing culture". Just checked with neighbours-have they ever heard of "white hearing culture"- no. Strange look at the question. Duly advised -current discussion-alldeaf.com. Is other ethnic groups part of this "white hearing culture"?
Sorry, "white hearing culture" not in my Canadian Sociology textbook.

Now that I am bilateral deaf- no more worry about "white hearing culture". Right- fingerspelling comes in handy as well as my implant.

Sorry I didn't know there was such a thing here in Canada as "white hearing culture". Just checked with neighbours-have they ever heard of "white hearing culture"- no. Strange look at the question. Duly advised -current discussion-alldeaf.com. Is other ethnic groups part of this "white hearing culture"?
Sorry, "white hearing culture" not in my Canadian Sociology textbook.

Now that I am bilateral deaf- no more worry about "white hearing culture". Right- fingerspelling comes in handy as well as my implant.

Your posts will now be ignored, as you have made it apparrent that you have no intention of engaging in an intelligent discussion on this topic.

Well...I was born to be trained to be Hearing and faced the challenge of removing that status. Yay me!

You just made me smile! Yeah, such a great feeling to get that monkey on your back, eh? :)

Awww...

with my mom here from AZ, I noticed that I revert back to being "hearing" like but without the audist attitudes. :deaf:

Shel90. That's great! Must be so nice there right now. It's freaking freezing here. I'm wearing a sweater. sigh.

Shel90. That's great! Must be so nice there right now. It's freaking freezing here. I'm wearing a sweater. sigh.

No..she is visiting from AZ. It is actually cool in Maryland for once after all the heat and humidity weather we have had for the past few weeks. It was horrible!

drphil, you might have a textbook at home, but obviously you dont have the skill/ability to really understand it, also MOST people DONT know what is a white hearing culture, or even so there is a famous feminists remark: that "white male society' notion. Its all really the same, however, just to mention this once, MOST people consider male/white 'culture' as nonexistent, that is false and this misconception of its nonexistent occurs largely because ideology operates UNCONSCIOUSNESSLY, that is people dont even know they are shaped to 'think', 'see', 'understand','accept',or even 'reject' the ideation of what explains to be 'our place' or 'our society'.
I have read what Jill responded and i quite agree, you dont seem to want to invovle but try ridicule our intentions of this thread's discussion. Forget that book, it doesnt help you, purely because its not a book for comformists, it is for that beyond conventional thinking mode. You cant or dont wish to really consider that alternative thinking. So, I'm not gonna bother much more with your silly questions as I have seen other members quite keen on pushing this understanding's boundary further, not retard it.

Last edited:
There is a concern that should be in the open to the Deaf community abroad. That is, It is a challenge to express ourselves to hearing people, without becoming like them. Like some women becomes bosses by acting more paternal than men do at average. I simply don't want to become as stupid as hearing people.

DISCUSS

If anyone needs evidence that hearing people are stupid then watch this video clip :giggle:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE]YouTube - ‪Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES‬‏[/ame]

P.S. I know that this is a slightly cruel video and I will need to repent of my smug attitude later, but in the meantime I will have a good belly laugh :laugh2:

P.P.S. I also know that not all hearing people are stupid. But hey! making sweeping generalizations is fun at times :naughty:

Grummer: No worry about me "regressing " into "white/black/ whoever? hearing". I am bilateral deaf-now until "cochlea transplants" perfected in the year 3000. Don't expect to be "around".

Back