Disappointed at losing Phonaks

rongarrett

Reaction score
Sometimes I am the bug, and sometimes I am the windshield. Going to loose my Naidias. Turns out I just got an ear infection. Left ear eardrum not moving at all. Screws up my hearing thru HAAs. Audi sez gotta have healthy ears before she can program. I have another week left on trial period. Doc sez not to wear hearing aids for two weeks so ears can heal. {Antibiotics and ear drops.} So gotta tun in my Naidias. Very disappointed.

Anybody have a suggestion on which brand to try next?

Why would you not just keep them and finish programming after you heal?

Plus use the electric Dry and Store with the ultraviolet cycle and you won't get ear infections.

The Zephyr isn't good enough as it doesn't have the ultraviolet cycle.

Hi,

My name is Sharon and would like to know if you could answer a few questions for me via video chat in ASL?

Why would you not just keep them and finish programming after you heal?

Plus use the electric Dry and Store with the ultraviolet cycle and you won't get ear infections.

The Zephyr isn't good enough as it doesn't have the ultraviolet cycle.

Because I don't want to fork out all that cash and not be satisfied with them. What if I paid for them and then could not get all the programming to my satisfaction. I want them right first, then will be glad to pay.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Why not turn them in, wait for the ear infection to completely clear up, and next month order them again?

Ear infections can happen at any time - with or without HAs and switching brands isn't going to make any difference.

I'd also make sure that you make sure you aren't wearing the HAs for too long, especially at the start so your ears can adjust to being plugged up - also make sure that you have at least 8-10hours at night where you aren't wearing the HAs at all so your ears can dry out.

Also make sure that you get a good drier for the your HAs.

I agree that it makes no sense to get a different type. Just return and order the same thing. Or don't return at all (I know I definitely wouldn't bother!).

And yes, obviously you're having a moisture problem. You need to keep your ears dry and clean. Take out aids once or twice a day, wipe mold with baby wipe, wipe out ears and canal, dry the canal entrance with a cotton swab or cotton ball, then put aids back in. Get a dry box and either clean molds with antibacterial wipes every night, or get the dry box with the ultraviolet light. I do the former because I don't sweat enough to need an electric dry box.

Another thing to think about is it actually takes longer than the 30 day trial to get them adjusted right, don't know about you but I paid $500 in fitting fees, I went back after 1 week, then my 3 week appointment is monday, except I'm returning the Ambras I got and getting my Naida, bot sure how that's going to work now maybe I'll go back in a week after that? dunno, anyway then you go at 3 months, then 6 months and year? maybe? I guess if you're still having problems in the early stages you can go back more. But realistically 30 days is only 2 adjustments....and the second adjustment is only 2 days before the 30 days are up.

But on the other hand, if you didn't like the Naidas in the first place and want to try another brand, well that's a horse of a didn't color. My previous aid was an Oticon, the sound is totally different. I realize I have Ambras, not Naidas, but they're still Phonaks and have the same tech, the Phonaks sound is much harsher, more crisp? than an Oticons, you might like it better.

Didn't you post your audiogram on here? If I'm remembering rightyou loss is pretty severe but not like almost deaf deaf ;) You might be able to be fitted with an aid at Costco, my loss is too bad, they don't have anything that I can be fitted with there. now most of the peeps on here poo poo Costco, they'll tell you to go see an actual audiologist. Well i can't speak for all the Costcos out there, but the one I went to had a real honest to God audiologist, and you'll get to do a 3 month trial, not 30 days, and I don't think you have to pay for them up front either, and the fitting sessions are free, and I think most of them come with the com pilots and electric dryers and all that jazz....and I think the most they cost for a pair, yes that's both aids, would be like 4K, with all the other stuff included. Also the peeps will tell you to get name brand, well Costco has rebranded....meaning their Bernafons are really Oticons, their Bridges are really Resounds. They have Kirkland Signature Brands, THOSE are not "name brand", they're Costco brand. Obviously I've never tried one, so i can't testify to the quality of Costco brand hearing aid, but I can tell you that I do shop at Costco and everything i've ever bought that was Kirkland Signature was superlative, just awesome. Oh and the kirkland aids apparently have a program on their aids for Live music, I have one of the brochures for them because I did go to Costco to check out aids (that's how I found out they didn't have anything for me the audi literally went "uhhhhhhhhh" after my hearing test)I wish my hearing wasn't quite so bad just so I could check that out! The Phonaks for music SUCK!!!
oh and...I think a lot of the reason Costco gets poo poo'ed on here so much is because most of the members are in the same boat I'm in, too much loss for any of the aids they carry. I'd be fairly confident in saying that most of the posters on here can't actually go to Costco for hearing aids.

I'm having adjustments at a year post getting the Naidas

I do as everyone else say, get the dry and store with the uv lamp. That will helps greatly with the ear infections.

Is it normal to be charged fitting fees when you buy the aids from the Audi that is fitting them? I didn't har to do that. Granted, I know that's in the price of what I paid for the aid, but it wasn't seperate. I went back for the 2nd time since getting my aids, today. So two follow-ups in a month. I have a 60-day trial (because of my insurance, she normally does 30-day trials) and she has me coming back in 2 weeks again, even though I think I'm pretty much good. Maybe I just got lucky?
Another thing to think about is it actually takes longer than the 30 day trial to get them adjusted right, don't know about you but I paid $500 in fitting fees, I went back after 1 week, then my 3 week appointment is monday, except I'm returning the Ambras I got and getting my Naida, bot sure how that's going to work now maybe I'll go back in a week after that? dunno, anyway then you go at 3 months, then 6 months and year? maybe? I guess if you're still having problems in the early stages you can go back more. But realistically 30 days is only 2 adjustments....and the second adjustment is only 2 days before the 30 days are up.

But on the other hand, if you didn't like the Naidas in the first place and want to try another brand, well that's a horse of a didn't color. My previous aid was an Oticon, the sound is totally different. I realize I have Ambras, not Naidas, but they're still Phonaks and have the same tech, the Phonaks sound is much harsher, more crisp? than an Oticons, you might like it better.

Didn't you post your audiogram on here? If I'm remembering rightyou loss is pretty severe but not like almost deaf deaf ;) You might be able to be fitted with an aid at Costco, my loss is too bad, they don't have anything that I can be fitted with there. now most of the peeps on here poo poo Costco, they'll tell you to go see an actual audiologist. Well i can't speak for all the Costcos out there, but the one I went to had a real honest to God audiologist, and you'll get to do a 3 month trial, not 30 days, and I don't think you have to pay for them up front either, and the fitting sessions are free, and I think most of them come with the com pilots and electric dryers and all that jazz....and I think the most they cost for a pair, yes that's both aids, would be like 4K, with all the other stuff included. Also the peeps will tell you to get name brand, well Costco has rebranded....meaning their Bernafons are really Oticons, their Bridges are really Resounds. They have Kirkland Signature Brands, THOSE are not "name brand", they're Costco brand. Obviously I've never tried one, so i can't testify to the quality of Costco brand hearing aid, but I can tell you that I do shop at Costco and everything i've ever bought that was Kirkland Signature was superlative, just awesome. Oh and the kirkland aids apparently have a program on their aids for Live music, I have one of the brochures for them because I did go to Costco to check out aids (that's how I found out they didn't have anything for me the audi literally went "uhhhhhhhhh" after my hearing test)I wish my hearing wasn't quite so bad just so I could check that out! The Phonaks for music SUCK!!!
oh and...I think a lot of the reason Costco gets poo poo'ed on here so much is because most of the members are in the same boat I'm in, too much loss for any of the aids they carry. I'd be fairly confident in saying that most of the posters on here can't actually go to Costco for hearing aids.

Last edited:
Is it normal to be charged fitting fees when you buy the aids from the Audi that is fitting them? I didn't har to do that. Granted, I know that's in the price of what I paid for the aid, but it wasn't seperate. I went back for the 2nd time since getting my aids, today. So two follow-ups in a month. I have a 60-day trial (because of my insurance, she normally does 30-day trials) and she has me coming back in 2 weeks again, even though I think I'm pretty much good. Maybe I just got lucky?

Do you think you will definely keep the Naida or go for another aid?

I have no idea actually, this is the first time I had to pay for them myself. I got 2 sets thru the VRC, the first in NH, they were analogues, then I moved down here to SC and when I started school for Massage Therapy they upgraded me to a digitals and got the Oticons.

I was assuming that I could not reorder HAs from Phonak. If so that is what I will do. I like them. Wish there was some way to postpone sending them back. Both audi and I have come a long way with the Phonaks, I just have this infection that has to be cured first.
I will discuss with audi.

If you're audie is willing, he may be able to convince Phonak to extend the trial period due to your infection. I THINK the audie is required to either return the aids after the trial period or pay for them (from what you pay the audie), so I don't think the audie can just "hold" the HAs in his office until you can restart the trial...unless he gets permission from Phonak.

Ron, you should see about getting your earmolds vented if you are getting ear infections regularly

Who has to do the venting? I might just have another set made and use the ones that help keep the infection away. I am taking antobiotics and ear drops.

Can you show them a doctor's note explaining the situation so that they can extend the trial period?

For instance, you have a 30-day trial period. Halfway through, your doctor says that you have to wait 2 weeks before you can put the hearing aids back in. Show that to the hearing aid place so that they can extend it to 44 days instead of 30.

Back