Different regions, different sign?

dotcomkari

Reaction score
I am still learning sign...I was raised oral...and well my parents did not want ,e signing, I hate them for that....

I have friends all around the states and was signing with a friend from across the USA...she was using some slag signs I haven't seen around here...made me wonder, does different parts of the us have different slag signs?

Yes. Sometimes more than one sign. You can pick up your local slang at an ASL social where you live.

yeah same idea for people have an accent. people can tell where those people comes from long island compare with nyc. lol

yeah same idea for people have an accent. people can tell where those people comes from long island compare with nyc. lol

There can be worlds of differences in signing styles in different areas of the same state. For instance, St. Louis uses mostly PSE while Kansas City is an ASL town.

Yep there are some discussions about these. It's not just ASL either, there are regional sign difference for BSL, CSL, JSL, MSL, many others.

I like how MSL signs colors. Better than ASL. :giggle:

There can be worlds of differences in signing styles in different areas of the same state. For instance, St. Louis uses mostly PSE while Kansas City is an ASL town.

True TRue. i know in LI those kids are more of PSE than NYC who use more ASL in my time but i dont know about nowaday.

Yes. When I first moved to Charlotte NC, Deaf would talk about driving the grass. I was like why on earth would they talk about driving the grass of all the things? :crazy: Turns out it's the local sign for truck. :doh:

Yep there are some discussions about these. It's not just ASL either, there are regional sign difference for BSL, CSL, JSL, MSL, many others.

How???

How many languages do you know?

How many languages do you know?

are we talking good understanding, or just know some words here and there? :lol: a lot if we're asking how many languages have I been taught something in!

Mandarin, Japanese, ASL are what I understand more than just basic words. :P

are we talking good understanding, or just know some words here and there? :lol: a lot if we're asking how many languages have I been taught something in!

Mandarin, Japanese, ASL are what I understand more than just basic words. :P

I'm impressed.

Yes. When I first moved to Charlotte NC, Deaf would talk about driving the grass. I was like why on earth would they talk about driving the grass of all the things? :crazy: Turns out it's the local sign for truck. :doh:
That's also the South Carolina sign for truck.

Back