Diet Soda drinks bad for you

cherylh

Reaction score
Shocking News About Diet Soft Drinks

If you're chugging diet soft drinks in an attempt to keep your weight in check, put the soda can down now. People who drink diet sodas have a very high chance of becoming overweight or obese.

Researchers with the long-term San Antonio Heart Study at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio have come up with a puzzling paradox for which they have no good explanation: Over a 26-year study period with 622 normal-weight participants aged 25 to 64, they determined that those who drank diet sodas were more likely to be overweight. Specifically, the risk of being overweight or obese increased 65 percent more with each diet drink per day, reports The Associated Press.

The numbers breakdown is bewildering indeed:

* Over the course of the study, 32.7 percent of all participants became overweight or obese.
* Of those who had two or more regular soft drinks a day, 47.2 percent became overweight or obese.
* Of those who had two or more diet soft drinks a day, 57.1 percent became overweight or obese.

Huh? The researchers are just as puzzled as you are and admit the findings raise more questions than they answer. They emphasized that drinking diet soft drinks does not cause people to gain weight, although they are missing out on healthier beverages. Still, for some reason drinking diet soda in middle age does seem to be linked to a dramatic increase in the chance of gaining weight later.

"I want to be very clear, our findings do not prove that diet soft drinks cause people to gain weight," the study's lead author, Sharon Fowler, an associate faculty member at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio told The Houston Chronicle. "Right now we don't have any clear public message here. This just raises an interesting question."

So what is it then that causes weight gain if it's not the diet drinks? One theory is that someone who drinks diet soda may think it's OK to consume more calories. That is, it's fine to have that giant burger and super-sized fries as long as you wash them down with a Diet Coke.

The study findings were presented at the annual scientific meeting of the American Diabetes Association.

Better to drink fruit juices and water than drinking ANY kind of soda pops. I'm not surprised that it's not healthy, anyhow.

Homemade smoothies with no sugar added are extremely healthy. You can pour clean water in icebox to freeze so that you can use the blender to put ice into the blender to make your favorite smoothie drink. :) :thumb:

Unfortunlately yes, I know for a long time that soft drinks affect our health.

The people from Public Health Department came to teach children/students at kindergarten and school about health issues. We adults can go if we want to. I often went to parent conference to collect any experiences...

My both sons asked us either we know that 30 sugar cubes per bottle of any soft drinks. Yes of course, we know. Did you know about this?

I don't like to drink soft drinks but I only drink coke to prevent diarrea when it comes. I drink water, milk, 100% pure juices and herbal teas mostly... Of course I drank coffee but not much.

Maybe it's a chicken or the egg question. Perhaps drinking diet coke doesn't cause obesity, maybe people who are likely to be obese drink diet coke.

One possible argument for the latter is: "People with a propensity to obesity are more likely to be concerned about their weight and will opt for a diet coke. Unfortunately, the diet coke only has a small impact on their weight and they continue to be obese."

Of course, since it's a chicken or the egg question, it could just be that diet coke makes people obese too.

It's the fact that we adjust our diets when we drink any kind of diet soda. We still require the same amount of water, food, exercise and air everyday. Assuming that drinking diet soda will allow you to cut out some other essential part is just bad practice.

It's not just the diet itself but also the sugar in the soda. The sugar is made chemically without any real substance. It has been linked to cancer and other health issues. It's the same with fast food - they use quite a bit of artifical ingredients to make their food pretty quick and easy to serve. That's becoming dangerous for us to consume every single day.

Natural, home cooked food is just simply the best.

-J.

:( I wasn't aware about diet pepsi make people gain weight, until someone told me about it. No wonder why I gain weight due from drinking too much diet pepsi. Now that I haven't drank any in 3 days in a row, drinking water instead, I hope to lose the weight that I gain from drinking diet pepsi, Why did they labelled it "diet", making people think that diet pepsi won't harm anyone's weight. :| I was a sucker for drinking diet pepsi. :(

Cheri said:
:( I wasn't aware about diet pepsi make people gain weight, until someone told me about it. No wonder why I gain weight due from drinking too much diet pepsi. Now that I haven't drank any in 3 days in a row, drinking water instead, I hope to lose the weight that I gain from drinking diet pepsi, Why did they labelled it "diet", making people think that diet pepsi won't harm anyone's weight. :| I was a sucker for drinking diet pepsi. :(

Yes, I know what you mean. I know a lot of foods or drinks seduce everyone when it written "diet". The people from Public Healthy Department warn us to check back of label what ingredients they made in foods, drinks etc. I alway make sure to check back of label first before buy... I ignored thick "diet" or whatever... and look back of label... The companies only want our money...

Cheri, you don't have to drop your favorite diet pepsi... not too fast... Take time until you getting to use water... Of course you can't threw your favorite things away forever for diet... it would make you aggressive... It won't hurt when you drink diet pepsi time to time, not a lot or all the time...

I would not give my favorite foods or drink up for diet but limit what I can eat and drink because they are my favorite... I would not give chocolate up either... It doesn't mean that I eat chocolate EVERYDAY but twice a week...

Liebling:-))) said:
Cheri, you don't have to drop your favorite diet pepsi... not too fast... Take time until you getting to use water... Of course you can't threw your favorite things away forever for diet... it would make you aggressive... It won't hurt when you drink diet pepsi time to time, not a lot or all the time

Yes, I know I wanted to give it up for just right now until I lose the weight and then I'll drink diet pepsi from time to time not like I used to drink almost every day. Ugh! No wonder why I gain so much weight over drinking diet pepsi, I was trying to figured out what I did wrong because I don't eat that much. Now, I know it's all had to do with drinking diet pepsi too much. :Ohno:

If person is diabetic, of course they have to give up favorite food and chocolates.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
If person is diabetic, of course they have to give up favorite food and chocolates.

No, they don't have to give up favorite foods etc. I have some co-workers and friends, also my hubby's aunt who have diabetic. There're any foods for diabetic then they can eat a lot whatever they like but they are expensive... They have to limit sugar and carbohydrates if they want to eat normal foods.

Miss*Pinocchio said:

For pre-diabetics, they can maintain their health with food moderation and exercise. One must train their own body to prepare itself to break down every batch of food. I have a potential to be diabetic but I prevent this by being active and drinking plenty of water and eating sugarized food at least once a day (every body needs this). ;)

-J.

If you want more information of what is health food and drink or how to lose weight and improve your health and get more energy please visit my website.

Cherylh

What do you think of Coke's Zero bottles as its new release around here?
My daughter was introduced it by her friends and telling me its has no sugar included as I read the back label - zero !!

Tamara said:
Cherylh

What do you think of Coke's Zero bottles as its new release around here?
My daughter was introduced it by her friends and telling me its has no sugar included as I read the back label - zero !!

But, Tamara, does this drink have an artificial sweetner?

I stopped about 6 months ago...and lost 2-3 lbs since I stopped drink soda almost a month. :) All i drink is water, lemonade (sometimes) or Starbucks!

I drank diet pepsi when I was in high school, I was 120 dropped down to 110 pounds.....It didn't make me gain any weight....:dunno:

I don't drink pop very much anymore since I drink alot of icetea.....

Back