Did you wear body aid while young?

@DeafBadger. would that be PhonicEar? I wore something like that but mine was blue LOL

I honestly don't remember...

The school stopped using them and switched to TELEX.

I can't find any photos of them on the web, but then I don't know what search terms to use to find them.

This is the same TELEX I used in school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hearing_aids#Transistor_hearing_aid

But there was a bigger, white box one that I used before that one.

I used a TELEX FM microphone/receiver body aid in class, from mid-late 1980s until I graduated high school in 1995. Outside of class, I used behind-the-hear hearing aids.

In the early 1980s, I used a different FM microphone/receiver body aid in class, but I don't remember the brand. It was a white colored box and larger than the TELEX. Anyone have an idea what brand/model that might have been?
I had the body aid for K to 6th grade,( 1975 -1980 which was the phoank brand. boy they are large, size of a small bible book. until 6th grade on to 12th and college life ( 1981 to 1988 and college until 1992), telex model. I donated to a boces school upstate NY where they need one.. at home and normal wear, which was a Kingman model size of a gum pack until 5th where I used oitcon P110P model until I got the BTE in 1991.

I was borrn in the 40s and wore two body aids in a harness with cord going to recievers in both ears. I wore them for 30 years.

I only had one body aid and I was born in the 40's too. That was great you had 2 HA . I got first HA when I almost 8 yo and wore a body aid for 18 years then got my first bte HA

Oh, my Goodness. What a trip down memory lane!! I was first fitted with a body aid at age two and a half in my left ear, then when I was in college, was fitted with a BTE in both ears - and adjusted to hearing bilaterally quite well. Then in 2002 I was fitted with a pair of Widex Senso "Power Aids," until I was implanted with a cochlear implant in my left ear in 2010, then my right ear in 2012.

I am a happy bilateral CI user!!

Mindy

I got my first HA in 1976. It was a Phonic Ear BTE. I still have the storage box, but the HA itself has been lost. It had a three position off/hi/lo switch and a rotary volume control. I always had it, hi and 3/4 of the way up. Even at 6yo, I understood how to get the most sound with least distortion. In 78, I got two Starkey ITE. Then Emtech cic, briefly...not strong enough. Replaced with Emtech ite. Then oticon ite. Then phonak bte. I really do prefer the bte. They last much longer than the ite, cic, etc.

Back