Developing A Cheaper, Less Invasive Alternative To Cochlear Implants

Syed Rahman

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Syed and I'm the industrial designer/mechanical engineer at Neosensory.

We're developing a vest that will convert sound to touch, so that deaf users can learn to feel and recognize patterns of sound in the world around them. The product is a fraction of the cost of a cochlear implant and importantly, is way less invasive. Check out our awesome TED talk and learn more about the vest!

As the designer, it's my goal to make the best possible product and user experience and there's no better way to create than to involve the user. I'd love to establish a presence here and get feedback from the community as development continues, ensuring our design decisions will cater best to the user. I hope the vest will soon be of great use to many! Please let me know if you'd be interested in giving us feedback along the way.

ps. We're located in Houston, TX and if you happen to be nearby let's connect in person! You could help shape the vest significantly as we continue development.

Unfortunately we can't sell it through any third parties. As a medical device that is a hopeful alternative to cochlear implants, insurance will be covering it and prevents us from marketing otherwise! Anyhow, just mainly hoping to find deaf individuals to give us feedback so we ensure it's fitting in every way possible.

The idea is o,. So where a best and it gives you all kinda of sensations...
Seems if they did it it would be just another product more for hearies then anything...

BuT
It seems to me the law of unintended consequences has occurred here..

They tried to develop something for the Deaf, and ended up curing insomnia......
Mmmmmm

I can see this product useful in some situations. Like use it in tandem w/ your TV, gaming and similar. Cheaper method: just put a bazooka (bass) tube, under your favorite lazyboy.

For those who 'fell asleep' less than a minute in... if you want to see him talk about the vest itself- start at 10:40 (approx).

Interesting concept. I wonder if it would be good for developmentally delayed in teaching environmental sounds at least to be safer. The only problem I see...it's all input, the deaf person would still need to sign (or write) for output (so to speak).

A lot of uses for it though he started out focusing on the deaf.

I watched the whole thing...do I win a prize?

As I watched I couldn't see how it would not be nerve racking to have this continual sensation. I am sensitive to vibrations and usually that means some type of alarm or alert so it seems like it would have you in a constant state of attention.

They need to rig it good for sex...
Then it will take offfffff....

Be creative scientists....

Back