Decline of sign language

TrippLA said:
I see.

I think when worldwide are lacking of deaf children and CI will going be out of business. Is it true?

No because the world's population particularly in the West is aging and this often brings about late deafness.

Also CIs are virtually unavailable in developing countries and the third world. As they become more affluent over time then there are potential markets there.

Deaf Images said:
:whistle:

WE CAN DO ANYTHING EXCEPT TO HEAR!

:cheers:

So what makes us different to say a person in a wheelchair? "We can do anything except walk".

Medically speaking for myself I either lack nerve hairs in my ear or they are badly damaged. This is physiologically abnormal. It's not a national difference in the same way that a black person has black skin or an Indian person black hair and where their babies inherit the same. Deaf people have hearing babies and hearing people have deaf babies.

I think we would be lying to ourselves if we didn't admit this. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Deaf Images said:
Deafness is not a disability, it is a golden silence that benefits us.

I'm curious as to how being deaf actually benefits somebody? I never viewed my disability as a benefit. It was more a hinderance for me in my hearing family and hearing environment than anything else.

Well my husband complains he can't sleep when the cat stratches in the litter box, or when the dogs snore :)

there is a branch of roses under our window that make noise when is windy.
that wakes him up too.The telephone wakes him up..
I can sleep with any disturbances except light:)
Also sometimes, when I say I am hearing impaired people let me go first- for example at the airport. Sometimes..

Fuzzy

Well actually I must admit when our baby was born my husband was the one who got up in the night whenever she cried and brought her to me to breastfeed. :) Now that she's three she doesn't often wake but when she does hubby attends to her. Aaah that's the way I like it.

TrippLA said:
I think when worldwide are lacking of deaf children and CI will going be out of business. Is it true?

Assumes that deafness is "cured" as babies to this day are born deaf. If big if... Then there is the other situation of the late deafened due to age, diseases, and senseless abuse of hearing (i.e., loud music).

Not going to happen anytime soon.

R2D2 said:
So what makes us different to say a person in a wheelchair? "We can do anything except walk".

Medically speaking for myself I either lack nerve hairs in my ear or they are badly damaged. This is physiologically abnormal. It's not a national difference in the same way that a black person has black skin or an Indian person black hair and where their babies inherit the same. Deaf people have hearing babies and hearing people have deaf babies.

I think we would be lying to ourselves if we didn't admit this. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Agreed. Never understood why this is such a stumbling block to some people. Since, I'm in the hearing world 24 X 7 it has been very obvious to me for a long time that it is more than just the lack of hearing. Ignoring or whitewashing this fact doesn't make it go away.

neecy said:
I'm curious as to how being deaf actually benefits somebody? I never viewed my disability as a benefit. It was more a hinderance for me in my hearing family and hearing environment than anything else.

I agree with you but I admit sleeping without hearing is very blessed indeed... :D

R2D2 said:
This discussion and Cheri's remarks has got me curious. Are there many people who believe that deafness is not a disability who also refuse to apply for disability support checks? If they do I would say that was very consistent!

Interesting point...I see some don't collect and others that do and some rather "flippantly" at that (that really can be irritating to see...no different when I see it with hearing people too).

I have never had disability support my entire life. I really saddened to see some with the attitude that "Hey I'm deaf!" so lets collect them checks! I can understand where a disability truly prevents one from working...that is one thing. It is a whole another ballgame when one prefers them over working and they can work. Some will then point out "moaning" I'm discriminated against or some other issue that prevents them from working. Most people appreciate hardworking people and will often work with the person to accomodate them.

R2D2 said:
Well actually I must admit when our baby was born my husband was the one who got up in the night whenever she cried and brought.

I'm always the one waking up in the middle of the night when my two boys were babies, with help from a baby cry flasher. ;)

Australia, Denmark and Norway, 80 to 90% of deaf children have cochlear implants..

then he said these children does not know SL.
My point in quoting that, was to point out that CI usage does not always go along with not knowing sign.

Oh, and the IVF case.....I heard about that, and I think that from what I know about the national health services, that the parents may have had a syndrome or a disorder that would cause more serious health effects then deafness. It is not a matter of saying "Oh I don't want my child to be deaf" ....they have to PROVE that their health issues are extremely awful.

Cheri said:
I'm always the one waking up in the middle of the night when my two boys were babies, with help from a baby cry flasher. ;)

Same here sis

R2D2 said:
Well actually I must admit when our baby was born my husband was the one who got up in the night whenever she cried and brought her to me to breastfeed. :) Now that she's three she doesn't often wake but when she does hubby attends to her. Aaah that's the way I like it.
Haven't you had a baby cry flasher to wake you up when your baby cried? I had one when I had my two babies cried and I went to them to breastfeed them. Even though my littlest one is also 3 but I still use the baby cry flasher in case she wakes up in the middle of night from a bad dream or whatever. I suggest you to get one so you can also be able to attend to your child. It is really a wonderful device.

TrippLA said:
I see.

With us, there's no history of deafness in the family. My daughters deafness was just 1 in 2000 chances. So there will allways be an increase of deaf children as long as the population grows.

Deaf Images said:
...We are normal people and it is the hearing who are more disabled. If they do not know what to do with us, they are more handicapped. They are the ones who needed interpreters.
Sure. Like hearing people in USA are all disabled because they cannot understand Chinese. They need an interpreter.

neecy said:
if deafness isn't a disability- why are interpereters for schools/hospitals/etc required by the American Disability Act? Why is closed captioning mandated? Why have deaf schools supported by the government? If deafness isn't a disability - then the deaf technically shouldn't need any assistance for anything, correct?The National Association for the Deaf classifies deafness as a disability: In this article they're calling for telecom legislation for disabled, which they include deafhttp://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=1200745
I think there is a misconception that disabled or handicapped means you are in a wheelchair. Not the case. There are mobility handicaps amongst many many others. Some deaf folks don't want to be labled as disabled or handicapped or even impaired. And there are others that don't mind. It's all good. Go with what works for you. The handicapped plakard that some folks have is due to mobility issues which are a form of handicap.

ButterflyGirl said:
Haven't you had a baby cry flasher to wake you up when your baby cried? I had one when I had my two babies cried and I went to them to breastfeed them. Even though my littlest one is also 3 but I still use the baby cry flasher in case she wakes up in the middle of night from a bad dream or whatever. I suggest you to get one so you can also be able to attend to your child. It is really a wonderful device.

Yes I did have one - it was actually a pillow vibrating device but it broke early on and I got a replacement but that broke too. I didn't replace it as it was expensive to buy. So then I got a standard baby alarm with a vibrating option that I just shove under the pillow. However it's bulky so I don't use it unless hubby is working away from home.

Anyway I think that having hubby wake for baby has done wonders for their relationship. It's no longer an issue as she has slept through the night for quite some time now.

Cloggy said:
With us, there's no history of deafness in the family. My daughters deafness was just 1 in 2000 chances. So there will allways be an increase of deaf children as long as the population grows.

:gpost:

Deafness is often official disabled because there's alot of discriminate, unfair with education and need more treat, IEP is help deaf people to improving their education. ADA is just covered for all disabled and deaf people get medicare program so it is best one to make life is more easier than regular people.

Back