Decision is Made

Wirelessly posted

Both are useful tools. Yes, both have it's limitations, and some prefer one tool over the other.

Fine by me.

perfect! I'm glad we all have come to agreement and now we can move on.

pleasure doing business with you.... even though I have no idea who you are and what you're all about but I'll give ya a pair of sunglasses for free :cool2:

Wirelessly posted

Jiro, you are one hot mess. :lol:

just chillin' and gellin'

Wirelessly posted

Both are useful tools. Yes, both have it's limitations, and some prefer one tool over the other.

Sorry Bleeding Purist but Baby is right. Everyone's hearing loss responds to technology differently, and despite the popularity of CIs, there are STILL many people with "deaf" losses (including postlingal) who benifit significently from "just" HA. Heck that's the reason why there are CI'd kids who only get poor speech understanding or who only get enviromental sounds.

The situation regarding insurance between Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants is very different. It is true, most insurance policies do not cover hearing aids. Cochlear Implants are another matter. They can be appealed and compelled.

So forget the HA; go full speed for the implant? Seriously?

Sorry Bleeding Purist but Baby is right. Everyone's hearing loss responds to technology differently, and despite the popularity of CIs, there are STILL many people with "deaf" losses (including postlingal) who benifit significently from "just" HA. Heck that's the reason why there are CI'd kids who only get poor speech understanding or who only get enviromental sounds.

Exactly. Those people with new HAs sometimes need to relearn how to listen. The brain plays a role in hearing. Sometimes, people forget that aspect.

Exactly. Those people with new HAs sometimes need to relearn how to listen. The brain plays a role in hearing. Sometimes, people forget that aspect.
Precisely. It's not magic. It takes work. Those people with new CI's need to relearn how to listen. The brain plays a role in hearing. Sometimes, people forget that aspect.

So forget the HA; go full speed for the implant? Seriously?

No, that's not how it works. Everybody is required to do a trial with hearing aids to determine benefit, if they have not already been using one. The point is if you have been determined eligible insurance is not likely to stop you from getting it.

If you have a severe to severe-profound loss, it is nothing but a crutch. It is a very limited tool at that point.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you. I have always had a severe loss, but my hearing aids were not a crutch for me, they allowed me to access the world around me and people who did not sign. I do not see how that is a crutch.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you. I have always had a severe loss, but my hearing aids were not a crutch for me, they allowed me to access the world around me and people who did not sign. I do not see how that is a crutch.

Yes, I'd have agreed with you, too. I was very apprehensive about getting my implant. The difference is so night and day it's almost funny. Perhaps the only way to understand my POV is when you have your own implant. At the same time, as I said before.. a prelingually deafened person may not be able to derive the same level of benefit. I also made very good use of my hearing aid, but letting it go and getting implanted was an amazing jump forward beyond any hearing aid I'd had.

Someone who has always only heard through hearing aids with a profound loss may be too attached to that level of hearing to adjust to the increased input. I do see that all the time with those situations.

Someone who has always only heard through hearing aids with a profound loss may be too attached to that level of hearing to adjust to the increased input. I do see that all the time with those situations.
They might also prefer to not go under the knife, accepting the HA life. It happens all the time. There are virtually no health risks associated with HA use.

They might also prefer to not go under the knife, accepting the HA life. It happens all the time. There are virtually no health risks associated with HA use.

:lol: Sometimes you can get a nasty ear infection from the earmold! ;)

Certainly possible! I developed a fear of surgery due to have numerous procedures following my first drop in hearing as a child. Those shots they gave you in your ass prior to gassing you really burned! I could hear the other kids screaming in the morning when they got theirs.

When I got my CI.. it was the first surgery since I was 10 years old. I was extremely tense while waiting to be wheeled in, so the anesthesiologist gave me something to help me relax. No shots in the ass, just an IV drip. It was much easier than what I experienced in the 80's.

Back