Deafness and pet peeves about society

I get what you are saying. Some forums seem to be one of the few places where its OK to have intellectual conversations as its not fashionable at the moment.

I know, right? :-P

One thing I'm learning is not to sweat it when someone tries to argue with me over something I didn't actually do or say (which has happened here already in less than 50 posts from me). I'd like to think I'm better at simply glazing it over when that happens than I used to be. I'm just here to glean, if I can, new friends who may or may not be deaf but want to discuss deaf issues.

Did you Grummer? :lol: Looks like he just called us all stupid.

I believe Cheetah brought this one in and we are required to be nice.

(Let's see if they remove this post.)

well, thank you! for confirming that I Wasnt holding the wrong end of the stick (that means I take back that stupid 'apology' and thanks alot to who was responsible for deleting my post) ...I thought so!

its not jsut cheetah its naisho too....grrr who happens to talk all high and lofty, as making HIS own theory, not ours ofc

but i *know* we are disabled BUT it is different if we are 'said to be disabled' in the line of 'judgement call' > thats not on, because the contextual use of the word 'disabled' is not in line with how this word is used in my study...and.. I am allowed to say this BECAUSE I am Qualifed IN the REAL world...I am not one of those some armchair theorist in one kind or another...

'how is making it better' that is SO obvious saying you think you have all the answers huh......dont kid me, or any of us....like Botti said, arrogance can be smelt a mile away...

Uh, Grummer, what's got your panties in a wad? We have a new AD member that has put his neck out by sharing his ideas. Simply tell him what you want him to know. No need to chop that neck off.

Uh, Grummer, what's got your panties in a wad? We have a new AD member that has put his neck out by sharing his ideas. Simply tell him what you want him to know. No need to chop that neck off.

im not the only one here who share the dissapproval of an veiled condescending attitude. There is ALEADY various places/organisations in place for 'betterment' sic but we all know most of it is just lip services or providing hearies jobs...and really the enqiry made in this thread is not just condenscending but also naive.

im not the only one here who share the dissapproval of an veiled condescending attitude. There is ALEADY various places/organisations in place for 'betterment' sic but we all know most of it is just lip services or providing hearies jobs...and really the enqiry made in this thread is not just condenscending but also naive.

Well, when it's nieve then it's an opportunity to educate. Right? I would think that The condescending part is the result of the nieviety.

My migraine meds are kicking in now, so my appologies if my post is not a hundred percent make sense.

Well, when it's nieve then it's an opportunity to educate. Right? I would think that The condescending part is the result of the nieviety.

My migraine meds are kicking in now, so my appologies if my post is not a hundred percent make sense.

no, sorry you dont know the meaning of it

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I just wacked him with a clue stick (metaphorically). That's education. lol Maybe he'll get it?

My pet peeve is that once I tell someone I am deaf, suddenly this is all I am. A deaf person. It takes them a while to forget it and start treating me normally again.

My other pet peeve is when I tell them I lipread, they suddenly start forcing over exaggerated mouth movements. :roll: :crazy:

My pet peeve is that once I tell someone I am deaf, suddenly this is all I am. A deaf person. It takes them a while to forget it and start treating me normally again.

My other pet peeve is when I tell them I lipread, they suddenly start forcing over exaggerated mouth movements. :roll: :crazy:

Maybe it'd the way you tell them? I know if I tell someone "I am deaf" then that's who they think I am. If I tell them "I'm deaf, I need to speech read" then I am a person that happens to be deaf. Sometimes how you say it influences how people think. Then again, there are the people that walk around with their head up their own butt and you could tell them anything you want in any which way and they will still keep that head of theirs up their own butt.

Note: your body language comes into play here as well. Lean forward says you are interested, lean back says you are not interested. Very subconscious.

I normally wait until I mis hear / don't hear and then explain that I'm deaf, but actually I've never tried the 'I'm deaf, I need to speechread'! Will give it a go, I'll be interested to see if this along with body language makes a difference!

I ran into a new peeve of mine today.

Via email, I asked an attorney I've hired to help me with social security for a suggestion about which document to use. In her email response, she attached an official document containing my social security number.

The very small crowd I'm preaching to will instantly recognize what's wrong with this picture.

For everyone else (you're not stupid, don't worry, but you need to know this):

Unencrypted email is easier to crack and get away with than it is to tap a phone line and spy on someone's phone conversations. Unencrypted email is like putting a stamp on a letter and putting it in the mailbox without using an envelope. Never mind crackers (cracker = bad hacker) - any server admin in charge of any server your message passes through can read your messages and you will never know it.

Encrypted email is very easy to set up and use, and makes it difficult, if not impossible, for crackers to break. Basic, 128-bit encryption can take a high-powered machine years to break using simple brute-force decryption.

I feel this is a particular issue for me as a deaf person because email is a great way for me to communicate with hearing people (as opposed to relay services, for example). When I've told someone tactfully and politely multiple times never to send sensitive information over unencrypted email and the person continues to do it, I just want to smack 'em.

^^^^^ Sorry. as someone that works in a highly sensitive data environment every employee is required to have an encryption certificate. I spent many hours instructing the employees that I am responsible for in how to request a certificate, how to use it, when to use it, and why to use it. They are still getting in trouble for not encrypting emails (and yes, security is watching them). They simply do not understand. We even have mandatory compliance training that covers this. Yes, employees can get in trouble and even fired for sending some data unencrypted even internally.

Cheetah, in your case, that's very understandable--that they can get in trouble.

I admit I still have trouble with it. I'm going to need to sit down with Audiodef again and go through it. Like...what if you encrypt, but the person you send to is clueless?

Jen M.

Back