Deafness and language

Angeleyez

Reaction score
Hello all

I was wondering whether anyone on here are deaf AND have problems with language? (problems as in writing it, comprehending it etc)

The reason i ask is because i recently came across a guy called steve* (*name has been changed) who is heard of hearing but has extreme difficulty in writing in coherent english. He seems to understand language but cant write grammatically correct.

This is an example of his language: "No not native i am american english don't make worse if some
indifferent said how to my game this yamaha yzf-r1 we how did get my rear tire not slick long burnout getting maybe disabled abs write back"

Look forward to any replies!

Maria

Does your HH friend communicate mostly in sign? My son also had problems with written English syntax--he would write everything the way he would sign it. For instance, if he meant "trees" he would write tree tree tree, and he would leave word endings off such as -ed and -ing. It was jsut a matter of him learning the differences between ASL and English. Still, however, I've noticed that if he's in a hurry and leaves me a note for some reason, it will be written in ASL syntax. That language is just more natural for him.

Hi Jillio

Really? thats interesting. Could you give a full sentance example? how old is he?

The person steve is not a friend a mine, but i assume he communicates mostly in sign. He is some-one i came across in another forum who was desperatly trying to communicate and no-one could decipher what he was trying to say. Luckily i managed to get the gist of it and help.

Are you deaf aswell? i am, i wear hearing aids (cant hear a thing without them!) but do not sign, i speak.

Maria

Sure. An example of a complete sentence: (English) I have lots of trees in my yard. He would write: Tree tree tree yard mine. He would use the English word, but phrase everything in ASL sysntax. Another example would be: I'm going to the store now. He will write: Now store go. I try to think of it in this way:
ASL(sign) paints a picture. You sign the thing that you would paint first. English describes the picture. One is visual, the other is auditory. Different ways of processing the information. It's the same information, and the meaning is the same, the pathway to understanding is just different.

Nope, I'm a hearie. But I started befriending Deaf adults and exposing my son to sign when he was only a year old. He's 20 now, and a freshman in college, and doing well. I just felt that he was the kid, and I was the adult, so instead of trying to make him more like me, I should maybe try to expose us both to people more like him.

jillio said:
Sure. An example of a complete sentence: (English) I have lots of trees in my yard. He would write: Tree tree tree yard mine. He would use the English word, but phrase everything in ASL sysntax. Another example would be: I'm going to the store now. He will write: Now store go. I try to think of it in this way:
ASL(sign) paints a picture. You sign the thing that you would paint first. English describes the picture. One is visual, the other is auditory. Different ways of processing the information. It's the same information, and the meaning is the same, the pathway to understanding is just different.

Nope, I'm a hearie. But I started befriending Deaf adults and exposing my son to sign when he was only a year old. He's 20 now, and a freshman in college, and doing well. I just felt that he was the kid, and I was the adult, so instead of trying to make him more like me, I should maybe try to expose us both to people more like him.

:ugh: jillio,

This isn't even slightly cute. He's gonna have a tough time in college unless he gets some help . . . and fast. Since you know this much about him, you may want to ask his permission to talk to someone at his college and make them aware of it if they're not already.

As for "exposing us both to people more like him," I'm assuming the young man is 20 and your child is significantly younger than him. He needs help and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him to some websites that would steer him in the right direction and someone to help in the public arena, too.

I know off the top of my head that even oral kids have difficulty expressing themselves in proper English syntax. It's not just limited to ASLers! A lot of my friends were raised oral, and still have difficulty with syntax. Hell, even I do sometimes, and I am a professional writer!
Steve may not have had proper early intervention, or not very good teachers.
Pek, most of the time you can figure out what ASLers are trying to say....but the OP example is really......almost as bad as someone with apaisa.

deafdyke said:
I know off the top of my head that even oral kids have difficulty expressing themselves in proper English syntax. It's not just limited to ASLers! A lot of my friends were raised oral, and still have difficulty with syntax. Hell, even I do sometimes, and I am a professional writer!
Steve may not have had proper early intervention, or not very good teachers.
Pek, most of the time you can figure out what ASLers are trying to say....but the OP example is really......almost as bad as someone with apaisa.

:gpost: Agreed and understood! Well written!

pek1 said:

This isn't even slightly cute. He's gonna have a tough time in college unless he gets some help . . . and fast. Since you know this much about him, you may want to ask his permission to talk to someone at his college and make them aware of it if they're not already.

As for "exposing us both to people more like him," I'm assuming the young man is 20 and your child is significantly younger than him. He needs help and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him to some websites that would steer him in the right direction and someone to help in the public arena, too.

Pek1....what on earth are you on about?? From your post it sounds as if you are telling jillio to teach her kid to communicate properly! She already said that he is doing well, so why are you telling her that he needs help and fast?

The fact that he is in college and coping well suggests that he doesnt need help. Like someone else said, people who dont sign also have difficulty expressing themselves.

Jillio --> thanks for your reply, it was an interesting read. Incase you are wondering why i even wanted to know in the first place, it is because i am a deaf psychology student at university and need to think of a final year project. I was wondering whether i could look at deaf people who sign and oral speakers to see how they code lanugae and see if there was anyway of helping either group code language better in order to have a better grasp of english syntax

Maria

pek1 said:

I do believe that you totally misunderstood my post. My son is 20, and he is already a freshman in college. His English skills have improved greatly since the time I was referring to. He was making those errors when he was seven or eight years old, and during the time that he was mainstreamed. My post wasn't meant to be cute. Perhaps you should go back and reread the posts from the beginning before you make the assumptions you have obviously made.

Angeleyez said:
Pek1....what on earth are you on about?? From your post it sounds as if you are telling jillio to teach her kid to communicate properly! She already said that he is doing well, so why are you telling her that he needs help and fast?

The fact that he is in college and coping well suggests that he doesnt need help. Like someone else said, people who dont sign also have difficulty expressing themselves.
Maria

I reread what I wrote and see where you got temporarily confused. I was referring to the 20-year old seeking help. Jillio said nothing about the young man getting help, did you read this somewhere I didn't see?

pek1 said:
I reread what I wrote and see where you got temporarily confused. I was referring to the 20-year old seeking help. Jillio said nothing about the young man getting help, did you read this somewhere I didn't see?
The 20 year old referred to is NOT the one seeking help. He is my 20 year old son, and was referred to as an example for language difficulties he had in the past. steve* (referred to in the first post) is the person Angeleyes had a question about.

Frankly, the 20 year old referred to doesn't need any help. I spent the last 20 years of my life providing him with the help he needed so that he would end up to be a productive and independant young man. He was only mentioned as an example to answer the question angeleyes originally asked.

Back