Deafies don’t wanna be cured, why should we?

If people want their deafness, blindness or whatever be "cured", fine. However, there will be people who are happy the way they are but society wont allow it and if those so-called cures come true, how much more will society treat those who opt out of these cures as inferior and etc? That's why this mindset needs to change.

If people are against those who are happy with the way they are, then that's a shame.

If I lost my hearing it would not cause me to go insane. I would adapt. What other choice do I have?

While it may not cause you to go insane it will have a dramatic affect on your every day life. Saying you can adapt just like that is a tough one as I thought the same thing and it is the hardest thing ever right now.

I just remember...

...how my father berated my mother for being almost completely deaf. NOT enough to not marry her, to spite my Grandmother, but, enough to make her feel inferior.

And then to dump her, with her/his two children, back to her mother at an early age...

If my mother, in 1930s, had the chance to be fully hearing, she would have had a much better life. And, she would have been a better mother.

Now, in late life, my hearing id failing. It has been diagnosed as a "notch." Or, a complete loss in a certain range.

My Grandmother's sister was deaf at an early age. When Aunt Blanche died, she willed her HA to my mother. It was one of those antique things that came in two parts that needed to be clipped to the bra and have the earpiece threaded-up to the ear.

Had the technology been available, when my mother was a child, just post depression) her mother would have spent her last dime to help her hear.

THAT would have changed all our lives.

Just a thought.

:)

We don't want to be cured because we have the answer to our deafness - ASL. The hearing people (most of them) have this problem with ASL and want to get rid of ASL and gave us their version of their answer to our deafness - HA/CI. I still can't believe they see us as dumb when they can't even learn ASL!!! Obviously it is far easier for them to learn ASL then us to learn to speak properly.

:gpost:

I agree, and just for myself, I was never given the opportunity growing up to learn ASL when it would have been easier. Now that I have lost all of my hearing, I wish I had that opportunity and am now trying to learn, but the family does not want to learn with me. People in church and friends are willing to learn, but not my own family. Go figure!

I agree, and just for myself, I was never given the opportunity growing up to learn ASL when it would have been easier. Now that I have lost all of my hearing, I wish I had that opportunity and am now trying to learn, but the family does not want to learn with me. People in church and friends are willing to learn, but not my own family. Go figure!

It is called "discrimination" which has make us feel like we are nothing compare to the hearing world. They insist they want to "fix" us and expect us to lipread to understand them one hundred percent and to talk like them when our voices are loud and different than hearing voices. Hearing parents want to listen to Doctors and AGB as if they are GODS including the audiologists. We have struggled like this for years and you are not alone when we have family members who refused to sign with us. That is the biggest problem with this hearing world. I feel you. :hug:

While it may not cause you to go insane it will have a dramatic affect on your every day life. Saying you can adapt just like that is a tough one as I thought the same thing and it is the hardest thing ever right now.

Here is a guy with SN "rockdrummer" telling you, basically, to tough it out. What RD does not understand is having something as precious as music taken from our lives, when we have had it so long. To someone that never walked, being chair-bound is all you ever knew. When the ability to walk is taken away, especially in adulthood, it is a lot different. I still suck big time with ASL. If I had grown up needing to learn it, I would be fluent. All I can say is that losing something feels much worse than never having something.
Remember when you were a kid, and you really wanted something for Christmas? How did it feel to not get it? You just moved on. How about when you got it, then it broke?

...how my father berated my mother for being almost completely deaf. NOT enough to not marry her, to spite my Grandmother, but, enough to make her feel inferior.

And then to dump her, with her/his two children, back to her mother at an early age...

If my mother, in 1930s, had the chance to be fully hearing, she would have had a much better life. And, she would have been a better mother.

Now, in late life, my hearing id failing. It has been diagnosed as a "notch." Or, a complete loss in a certain range.

My Grandmother's sister was deaf at an early age. When Aunt Blanche died, she willed her HA to my mother. It was one of those antique things that came in two parts that needed to be clipped to the bra and have the earpiece threaded-up to the ear.

Had the technology been available, when my mother was a child, just post depression) her mother would have spent her last dime to help her hear.

THAT would have changed all our lives.

Just a thought.

:)

I disagree. Sure Disabled people get treated badly, gay people get treated badly, People with alternative lifestyles get treated badly, ethnic minorities get treated badly.

So are we next going to look for cures for gays, people with alternative lifestyles etc...

What I'm saying is there will always be an excuse for treating someone badly. It has nothing to do with a disability. It's just the way things are.

Helene

I disagree. Sure Disabled people get treated badly, gay people get treated badly, People with alternative lifestyles get treated badly, ethnic minorities get treated badly.

So are we next going to look for cures for gays, people with alternative lifestyles etc...

What I'm saying is there will always be an excuse for treating someone badly. It has nothing to do with a disability. It's just the way things are.

Helene

Helene

Yep. I recall someone saying this to me:

"Unless you're an English-speaking white heterosexual Protestant or Catholic man in your 40s without any visual or audible disability, you will be discriminated against. It is up to you if you want to do anything about them."

I call it Mob Mentality. Many people cannot make themselves feel good as quickly as when they belittle or criticize others. Once weakness has been detected, the Mob moves in for their brand of "self improvement" at the expense of human decency.

Yep. I recall someone saying this to me:

"Unless you're an English-speaking white heterosexual Protestant or Catholic man in your 40s without any visual or audible disability, you will be discriminated against. It is up to you if you want to do anything about them."

Might want to take the Catholics out of that formula. They are considered pedophiles based on guilt by association. The other thing; I almost fit that description, but have been harassed by people of other races based on my skin color. I have not always lived in Whitebread neighborhoods. They don't even know me, but the comments and intimidation still come.

Might want to take the Catholics out of that formula. They are considered pedophiles based on guilt by association. The other thing; I almost fit that description, but have been harassed by people of other races based on my skin color. I have not always lived in Whitebread neighborhoods. They don't even know me, but the comments and intimidation still come.

The person was referring to Canada. Catholicism is still a big part among Francophones. The racism issue up here is not quite the same as down there.

Helene

Oh, you said it well! I still remember some stories about poor homosexual boys killed themselves cos they were not able to be "cured" and couldn't follow the "normal" people. =/

There is a "cure" for homosexuality.
There is a "cure" for asexuality.
There is a "cure" for people with alternative lifestyles.
There is a "cure" for blindness.
There is a "cure" for deafness.
There is a "cure" for "unfitted" people.
There is a "cure" for little people.
There is a "cure" for non-religious people.
There is a "cure" for whatever reason is against anybody who is not so prefect.

You are not so prefect, you are definitely not fit in the sociality. :roll:

Hell, I love being "abnormal"! :D I recall that if you remember the woman with one eye named Leela, that is so prefect example. ;)

I think this is God's way to let us be who we are and God wants hearing people to accept us, Deafies, to be the way we are. Don't tell me it is the Devil. I don't believe that at all. You can not make the world be perfect and no one on Earth is perfect. Just accept it. :roll:

Yep. That explains why religious people prayed for the cure on their deaf children in 1900's. =/ In the past, that also explains why religious people (even my own belief =/) did kill deaf people, just cos deaf people were demons. They threw them in the cages of larger creatures! They burned them alive! They would do whatever it harmed to those poor deaf people. They believed those deaf bastard people needed to be healed! :( (EDIT: Oh, not mention to some religious people used to believe deaf people are demonic processed. LOL)

Here's some historical information...

354-430 AD - St. Augustine wrote that the sins of the parents are visited upon the children. Afflicted children are a sign of God’s anger and punishment. Augustine believed that faith cometh by hearing and that deafness is a hindrance to faith. However, he believed that Deaf people can learn and thus are able to receive faith and salvation. Augustine refers to bodily movements, signs, and gestures, and believed that these modes were capable of transmitting thought and belief. He implies that it is equal to spoken language in terms of reaching the soul. De quantitate animae liber unus.
Well... I guess I'm a :deaf: demon that would be more fun! :P

Last edited:
Back