DeafBlind Rejected...

BigSpike

Reaction score
I am getting sick of employers keep rejecting deafblind people, even they posses much of talents when they dont really realized it...for example (it's true story) one deafblind woman who is very smart and have experiences in group home for deaf mental health position. She moved to other state and decided to apply for group home as relief but the director of Human Resources rejected her even she was "hired" and did complete in training of CPR and First Aid and received certification then now she was rejected. There's one other deafblind woman who is supervisor at same employer this rejected this woman. But the problem is the deafblind supervisor wont admit herself to the director of human resources even the few staffs and other supervisors already knew about her condition but withheld from disclosing information....is this FAIR? It is making me very disgust and mad as hell to see like this. One other deafblind worked for state for many years and was never prompted... It need to be treated equal not as lowered citizen. So what's your opinion and feedback about this? :pissed:

I'm lost on what you're saying. Are you saying that they fired her because she withheld information from them?

Are you saying that the current Supervisor is deafblind, herself? And the same company 'rejected' a new prospective worker for a similar job position within that company?
Is that what you're talking about, BigSpike?

Can you try to clear this up a bit so we can understand what's happening here, please? Thanks.

VamPyroX said:
I'm lost on what you're saying. Are you saying that they fired her because she withheld information from them?

What I mean...let me explain.....one woman who was laid off becuz she was publically known as deafblind with experiences in group home...

second the other woman who is supervisor and deafblind at same company whom laid off the DB woman....this supervisor didnt tell anyone this she is DB and she refuse to risk her job do it sound fair???????

BigSpike said:
What I mean...let me explain.....one woman who was laid off becuz she was publically known as deafblind with experiences in group home...

second the other woman who is supervisor and deafblind at same company whom laid off the DB woman....this supervisor didnt tell anyone this she is DB and she refuse to risk her job do it sound fair???????

Perhaps it is her own fault for not informing her employer of her disabilities. If I was to hire somebody, I will want to know what that person is capable of, and what the disabilities are.

This DeafBlind woman was being dishonest with her employer and that is her own fault. Period. If she was asked if she had any disabilities, she should had told the employer on spot, or she should simply had refused to tell and walk away from the job.

Like it or not, but that's life and it is not discrimination. They fired her for withholding important information.

BigSpike said:

Ah, that makes better sense. A woman who is DB (but didn't say she was DB) laid off someone who was DB. That still doesn't make sense. How could no one notice? Perhaps her DB is different? There are specific kinds of blindness where you can still see, but you're labeled blind so you can't drive. The other kind is where you cannot see.

VamPyroX said:
Ah, that makes better sense. A woman who is DB (but didn't say she was DB) laid off someone who was DB. That still doesn't make sense. How could no one notice? Perhaps her DB is different? There are specific kinds of blindness where you can still see, but you're labeled blind so you can't drive. The other kind is where you cannot see.

Yes, Vamp my apology for not being so clear at first....yes this is why things are NONSENSE...plus db woman who got laid off told me she REFUSE to drive for her own safety..she tend to have second staff as drive van to transport the consumer at her previous employers. The supervisor who is db do drive...she was at BIG risk :thumbd: ....she will be caught one day, she REFUSE to admit her own physical disability...it is making me angry seeing thing is not fair it is because I am very strong involved in DB community, get it?

BigSpike said:
Yes, Vamp my apology for not being so clear at first....yes this is why things are NONSENSE...plus db woman who got laid off told me she REFUSE to drive for her own safety..she tend to have second staff as drive van to transport the consumer at her previous employers. The supervisor who is db do drive...she was at BIG risk :thumbd: ....she will be caught one day, she REFUSE to admit her own physical disability...it is making me angry seeing thing is not fair it is because I am very strong involved in DB community, get it?
Well, if this story was public... it would have been taken care of already.

It it's private, then how can we prove that this person is really DB. A lot of people tend to blame others of the same thing... as an act of defense.

It's like this...
Your teacher scolds you for hitting another boy. You immediately reply, "But he hit me!"

In this case, she's laid off cuz she's DB... as an act of defense, she says, "But she's DB too!"

Well, if this isn't public... simply go to the company and tell their superiors about it. If they do and she passes the test as being able to drive, then she's probably not really DB.

VamPyroX said:

I had known these two women who are DeafBlind. That agency rejected DB lady who applied a job that she honestly that she is label as DB. However, the hearing Clinician’s DB girlfriend who is the House Coordinator (supervisor). That agency Human Resource did rather keep her as their House Coordinator because of her boyfriend who is the consult at the clinical. There is no boundary or professional at that agency.

This agency did not know that this lady is DB who is the House Coordinator. That is what, BigSpike tried to explain previously message. Director of Deaf Services aware of her disability. He did not want to let her go because of friendship with her boyfriend at the Clinical. BigSpike and myself were disgusted how they treat outside employees who are not hiring. :pissed:

Massachusetts Disability at Law remains under investigation that agency to find out why they did not advertise any open positions outside from that agency to let other Deaf, Hard of Hearing and DB people know.

They tend to hire staffs that are not signer to these Deaf, DB and Hard of Hearing clients. There is very lonely and isolate for the clients due to communication barrier. It is extremely sad because of favoritism. :eek: There is no boundary in their jobs as professional.

Hope, this is more clarification.

Last edited:
Sabrina said:
I had known these two women who are DeafBlind. That agency rejected DB lady who applied a job that she honestly that she is label as DB. However, the hearing Clinician’s DB girlfriend who is the House Coordinator (supervisor). That agency Human Resource did rather keep her as their House Coordinator because of her boyfriend who is the consult at the clinical. There is no boundary or professional at that agency.

This agency did not know that this lady is DB who is the House Coordinator. That is what, BigSpike tried to explain previously message. Director of Deaf Services aware of her disability. He did not want to let her go because of friendship with her boyfriend at the Clinical. BigSpike and myself were disgusted how they treat outside employees who are not hiring. :pissed:

Massachusetts Disability at Law remains under investigation that agency to find out why they did not advertise any open positions outside from that agency to let other Deaf, Hard of Hearing and DB people know.

They tend to hire staffs that are not signer to these Deaf, DB and Hard of Hearing clients. There is very lonely and isolate for the clients due to communication barrier. It is extremely sad because of favoritism. :eek: There is no boundary in their jobs as professional.

Then... SUE! ;)

VamPyroX said:
Then... SUE! ;)

That is what, I did tell her and her husband. Have them PM me here. I will give you an attorney s name and tel number.

If they have EOE (Equal Opporunity Employer) on paper or anything but why thwy rejected a DB person that is so stupid..... They should sue whoever rejected her... it sounds like American Idol....

Sabrina said:

Let's not forget... sometimes, positions do not quite fit specific people. Let's say there are two different available positions. A person in a wheelchair applies for a job to lift heavy boxes. A normal applies for a job at a computer. The company rejects that person in a wheelchair because it is not physically possible nor do they have the accomodations to permit that kind kind of task. However, they give the computer job to the normal person. Now, that wouldn't really be discrimination. It just happened to be two different people and two different positions.

That could be the case in this situation. What was the position and duties applied for by the DB woman and what is the position and duties already done by the other DB woman?

Equal, not preferental Treatment!

Blind firing blind is same as white firing white , black firing black, or green firing green. And as for the DB super, her hiring contract may not have that disclosure stipulation found in the recent hiree that lets the super fire the hiree under certain conditions not found in the super's contract.

I have other opinions to share about this case but they going to be amounting to lighting a fuse somewere.

Richard

racheleggert said:
If they have EOE (Equal Opporunity Employer) on paper

You gotta be kidding! EEO's are departments withn companies that make's administrative reviews over certain situations and the last thing EEO's want to do is to bite the hand that feeds it.

Richard

How could they not known that she was blind? even though she may withholding information about her disability, I still find this unfair and she doesn't have to tell anyone her disabilty if she did not want to , maybe she was trying to have them give her a chance to work there.....If I were her I would sue them....

Thanks for all kinds of feedback...fyi..deafblind dont have to disclose their personal information unless its really needs...I work closely with deafblind people...I know their perspective some are sense sometime are nonsense...Sabrina know how I am into....but sometime it is needed to disclose information...BUT it is WRONG to fire or laid off this person with disability because it violate the law....I have 2 deafies who told me they are fired from supermarket because they no long needed them since due to new technology this requires headset to communicate...even 2 deafies are hard working and have very good reference...do it make sense to you HECK no...

BigSpike said:
Thanks for all kinds of feedback...fyi..deafblind dont have to disclose their personal information unless its really needs...I work closely with deafblind people...I know their perspective some are sense sometime are nonsense...Sabrina know how I am into....but sometime it is needed to disclose information...BUT it is WRONG to fire or laid off this person with disability because it violate the law....I have 2 deafies who told me they are fired from supermarket because they no long needed them since due to new technology this requires headset to communicate...even 2 deafies are hard working and have very good reference...do it make sense to you HECK no...
Sometimes, disclosing information can show that you can't be trusted. Imagine how my employer would feel if we communicated with everything through email, then when the time comes for me to meet in person for an interview... he realizes that I'm deaf and that I needed an interpreter? I never told him that I was deaf. I never told him that I needed an interpreter. I never told him anything. Now, does that give me a right to get upset with him because he can't accomodate me for my interview?

VamPyroX said:
Sometimes, disclosing information can show that you can't be trusted. Imagine how my employer would feel if we communicated with everything through email, then when the time comes for me to meet in person for an interview... he realizes that I'm deaf and that I needed an interpreter? I never told him that I was deaf. I never told him that I needed an interpreter. I never told him anything. Now, does that give me a right to get upset with him because he can't accomodate me for my interview?

Yes it is true but deaf is most impt for intepreter reason but low vision is it their business...but they can always tell them I dont drive, and I prefer etc...most of it worked out fine but it DEPENDS on....

BigSpike said:
Yes it is true but deaf is most impt for intepreter reason but low vision is it their business...but they can always tell them I dont drive, and I prefer etc...most of it worked out fine but it DEPENDS on....
If the job description conflicts with the handicap, then you are responsible for informing them of your handicap. If you're deaf and you're applying for a job where communication is needed, you're responsible for telling them that you are deaf and will need an interpreter or other accomodations. If you don't, you're wasting the company's time having to postpone the interview or any other further delays.

Back