Deaf who voice...need advice

Do you mean as in dating this woman? If she wants to use voice then respect that personal preference of hers. Get your receptive and signing skills from other sources and activities.
Yes, I'm another with such thoughts along with other responses in this thread. It seems almost as if the interpreter is trying to impose what his perception of the "deaf identity" should be all about on the deaf person who prefers to use her voice.

Yes, she knows ASL. When I speak to her, I sign, but when she speaks to me, she voices. I noticed that she voices with everyone, so maybe she's just more comfortable doing that because she thinks that's what hearing people want??

Growing up oral and only now starting to pick up sign language, I find the switching to signing a little difficult particularly when I know the person is hearing. Even though personally I would much rather be signing, it is an old habit to break - almost like an automatic mode. I find it so much easier to sign to a Deaf person who uses sign language all the time. Are you actually speaking to her as you sign or voice off. That's usually is what throws me. Voice off is much easier for signing.

Hmm. I use ASL (especially SEE and PSE) and voice at the same time but not all the time...just randomly words and sentences that I am able to voice-mouthing while signing.

Back