Deaf Wanna Be

Originally posted by SilenceGold
It's not offending us if you want to be part of the culture. What offends us is when hearing people try to pretend like a deaf person instead of a hearing person that knows their way around deaf people.

Yeah, I agree with you SG, it's good to see hearing people actually LEARNING their way around about sign language and the Deaf culture. It's such an inspiration seeing more hearing people learning sign language so they could communicate with deaf people and deaf friends they've made in the process.

Goldie

ok, thankz. i, in a way, want to, and then i don't want to. but i would never pretend to be, that's like a blind person pretending to be able to see.

Originally posted by ASLnikki
ok, thankz. i, in a way, want to, and then i don't want to. but i would never pretend to be, that's like a blind person pretending to be able to see.

A blind man pretending to be a seeing person do have a good purpose.

A seeing person pretending to be blind may not not have a good puprose. More likely to take advantage of luxaries. Demanding more sympathy?

i know, i get that part. but a blind person pretending to se would get caught pretty quiclly. a hearing person trying to be deaf also would. like, if something heavy was dropped, and there was a deaf person in a room, and a hearing person in a romm, the hearinf person would turn around, because it is a reaction. the deaf person wouldn't because they couldn't hear it.

i know, i get that part. but a blind person pretending to se would get caught pretty quiclly. a hearing person trying to be deaf also would. like, if something heavy was dropped, and there was a deaf person in a room, and a hearing person in a romm, the hearinf person would turn around, because it is a reaction. the deaf person wouldn't because they couldn't hear it.

Well, not really..the deaf person would turn around in reaction to the vibration given out from the heavy object falling to the ground. I do... :P

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
some people pretend to be deaf to get money :(

Or as an excuse as not able to do something like work around loud noises with earplugs. I've seen that few times when I worked in a furniture factory.

What is a CODA?

I think it bugs because Deaf people were shunned, and now that they see that we have a super cool little "culture" thing going, they are jealous, and want in. Some people are just all about themselves and want the best of everything even when they don't belong there.

Then again, those people who wear glasses because they look good, not because they need them.. bother me more than they should. :)

i agree with all of u. even though i am hearing. i am learning sign language and trying to learn more about the deaf community. i was hopein gthat some of you would enlighten me on some of your everyday life. i am sorry if i offend any of you in asking.

No offense taken. After those years in our deaf lives that we experienced, that was something different. It developed our tendency to resist those who wanted to “become deaf.” We often question their reason to determine whether it is an insult or reasonable intention. I sometimes wish I were physically handicapped because I would park closest to the store, then that would be valid reason, nothing that would insult or take advantage of those actual handicapped people. If there were a lustful desire to be physically handicapped so that you would find a gorgeous girl with same disability, then eventually betray her is something that would be a true and seeping offense to us. “I wish I could be deaf” comes with a reason that we analyze to either accept or deny such intention to say it. We often accept the intention of “I wish I could be deaf” as to if, you are trying to understand why we suffered being deaf.

Last edited:
Originally posted by jn
What is a CODA?

I think it bugs because Deaf people were shunned, and now that they see that we have a super cool little "culture" thing going, they are jealous, and want in. Some people are just all about themselves and want the best of everything even when they don't belong there.

Then again, those people who wear glasses because they look good, not because they need them.. bother me more than they should. :)

CODA is "Children Of Deaf Adult." They understood how it is like to be deaf because they were raised by deaf parent(s). They are often on the defense for the deaf culture due to how they were raised and how they understood being in deaf culture.

Back