Deaf Survivor Splits Deaf Community

Do you think Christy Smith represented the Deaf Community in a good way?

• YES - She showed how Deaf People truly are.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • NO - She misrepresented Deaf People.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • NEUTRAL - She did some good, some bad representation of Deafies.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
where you get information??:eek:

I got it from Chrisity's best friend's sister who happened to be one of the unactive members here.

Originally posted by Stevey Boy
I got it from Chrisity's best friend's sister who happened to be one of the unactive members here.

darn I wish she can be in Final!!! oh boy

Originally posted by kuifje75
I agree with you, Angelcat, about Christy doing her thing.

But the reality is that most of the audience is hearing ppl.
They will see that Christy can do it. Then they will wonder why not all deaf ppl are like her. They will think that deaf ppl are stupid if they cant read lips or speak well.

:werd:

That was the point I was trying to convey in the first place. Well said, Kuifje.

The thing is, I'm sick and tired of Deaf people in the media being portrayed in the light that HEARIES want to see in Deaf people. The truth is, not ALL Deaf people are highly skilled at lip-reading and speaking as Christy and Marlee Maitlin are.

That is why I'm saying, "Christy could've done a better job of representing us." I praise her for being the first Deaf Survivor, but still - stop bowing down to Hearing people's standards of what we should be, not what we TRULY are.

Hearies have always and still are trying to make us LIKE them, when the truth is - we are happy with the way we are (well, most of us are, not all. How sad.)

I'm very tired of being approached by Hearing people who almost always say this first: "Can you lipread?" and express anger or sympathy when they discover I'm not that good at lipreading nor speaking. They also treat me as if I'm stupid and beneath them - when most of them have a lower IQ than I do! (For example - lots of those idiots tend to call us "death" when it's actually "DEAF!" Shows how dumb those assholes are...) :ugh:

:madfawk: Enough of this BULLSHIT. It's time for the Hearing public to look at us eye-to-eye instead of trying to force us to be "hearing." That's a sign of their laziness and lack of effort to try to learn our language and TRULY communicate with us.

Lipreading isn't 100 percent perfect in communication, when SIGNING and WRITING it all down is ACCURATE. Got my point?

As for Christy, I praise her on bringing attention to Deafies - but she could have done a better job of it. Period.

:arrow: PS: To all these who voice opinions that are the opposite of mine, I respect your opinions.

I do see some good points in them. I'm trying to look at it on both sides of the issue, so... please, don't crictize me. I am merely voicing my OPINION, not FACT. So, no flaming. ;)

Last edited:
I ain't voting. Who cares if she does sign or not.. It's up to her personal choice of how she does it. I do not understand why we have to get mad at this.

because there are some deaf people who can't read lips and who can't talk so they perfer to see sign language used at ALL times...just to show respect of the deaf community, that's all.

I knew that this was gonna happen. I wasn't surprised when I heard about this. Look at Marleen Matlin... she does the same thing. Once, she went to a public school presentation. She stood at the podium and gave out her presentation orally while she had two interpreters sign for her. Another time, Miss America did her whole performance orally. When she won and was approached with a question about whether she knew sign language or not, she suddenly started signing. Jeez!

I know! it's like she's trying to fake herself that she's actually hearing...but she's deaf and always WILL be...so it would be alot easier if she just sign and speak at the same time (I know there are some different kinds of sign language...such as American Sign Lanuage and English Sign Lanuage) Most of the deaf people I know uses sign enlish language because it's alot easier and understandable by the way you speak you know? Of course, she should've signed, no matter what hearing people thinks...hearing people can't force us how and what to say...it's our way of communicating from the deaf world.

Originally posted by DeafDot
:madfawk: Enough of this BULLSHIT. It's time for the Hearing public to look at us eye-to-eye instead of trying to force us to be "hearing." That's a sign of their laziness and lack of effort to try to learn our language and TRULY communicate with us.

Lipreading isn't 100 percent perfect in communication, when SIGNING and WRITING it all down is ACCURATE. Got my point?

Laziness?

Sorry, but I disagree.

The problem is, we live in countries where the MAJORITY speaks English.

So, it should be the primary language for all of us. But American Sign Language is a wonderful language for COMMUNICATION.

But ASL is not really useful when it comes to teaching children how to write in English for many reasons.

Not even for math, because all classes are required to grade your assignments with English included.

Again, I don't believe it is the laziness. It is the awareness that is lacking in our society.

Christy, in fact, was brought up an oralist, nothing more till later in her life where she came to embrace the ASL. But to make one thing clear... this is a reality show and she will make her own decisions.

Deaf Community is NOT there for her on Survivor, she is all ALONE and she is surviving on her own.

If she can lipread and talk, and that comes to her as a way of making it through the show. Then that's the way she will go and that's what she did.

So, I will not criticize her for choosing her ways since she is now in a good place.

Survivor isn't a place to show off your beliefs and backgrounds... didn't you see what happened to Joanna?

She got kicked out because she let her beliefs get into the ways.

So, good luck to Christy.

Originally posted by Steel
I know! it's like she's trying to fake herself that she's actually hearing...but she's deaf and always WILL be...so it would be alot easier if she just sign and speak at the same time (I know there are some different kinds of sign language...such as American Sign Lanuage and English Sign Lanuage) Most of the deaf people I know uses sign enlish language because it's alot easier and understandable by the way you speak you know? Of course, she should've signed, no matter what hearing people thinks...hearing people can't force us how and what to say...it's our way of communicating from the deaf world.

Nobody forced Christy to talk nor sign.

So, there's nothing to complain about.

many interesting points are made here.......but whether she wins or loses, I think we should treat her nicely, She is coming back from the jungle you know.....let her relax and chill....and let her explain why she decided to do what she did

Originally posted by DeafDot
:werd:

That was the point I was trying to convey in the first place. Well said, Kuifje.

The thing is, I'm sick and tired of Deaf people in the media being portrayed in the light that HEARIES want to see in Deaf people. The truth is, not ALL Deaf people are highly skilled at lip-reading and speaking as Christy and Marlee Maitlin are.

That is why I'm saying, "Christy could've done a better job of representing us." I praise her for being the first Deaf Survivor, but still - stop bowing down to Hearing people's standards of what we should be, not what we TRULY are.

Hearies have always and still are trying to make us LIKE them, when the truth is - we are happy with the way we are (well, most of us are, not all. How sad.)

I'm very tired of being approached by Hearing people who almost always say this first: "Can you lipread?" and express anger or sympathy when they discover I'm not that good at lipreading nor speaking. They also treat me as if I'm stupid and beneath them - when most of them have a lower IQ than I do! (For example - lots of those idiots tend to call us "death" when it's actually "DEAF!" Shows how dumb those assholes are...) :ugh:

As for Christy, I praise her on bringing attention to Deafies - but she could have done a better job of it. Period.

:arrow: PS: To all these who voice opinions that are the opposite of mine, I respect your opinions.

I do see some good points in them. I'm trying to look at it on both sides of the issue, so... please, don't crictize me. I am merely voicing my OPINION, not FACT. So, no flaming. ;)

REALLY?? it is the opposite for me, people are always signing to me or trying to do fingerspelling when they find out I am deaf, even though I WAS talking to them!!! Some people have actually asked my friends how I communicate and I am right there talking to them - I turn around to them and said "hey like this, you can understand me right" and wink at them lol........I am oral so it is ironic to me that they think I sign while my friends that are primarily ASL communication have hearing people think that they can lipread...... The amazing thing is that even though I tell people I am deaf, they ask for my number....I am like, I cant hear! lol....I said unless you go through text or opr. relay, not gonna happen so just email me instead........

Yeah, because you can communicate with them easily. But if you could not speak clearly or read lip well, I am sure you would have met more resistance.

I am not judging against Christy at all. I accept her for all who she is. I am just keeping in mind how the media is, and how it portrays ppl and how it makes the audience to believe into something that is not really true. I am tired of ppl asking me automatically "Do you read lips?" and I reply to them "Do you sign?"

I agree with you, DeafDot, that the only thing that matters is how communication is done. It should not have to be subject to a standard like the hearing world expecting all deaf ppl to be able to speak and read lips perfectly. Everyone is different, and hearing ppl should know that. They should learn that the best key to meeting deaf ppl is to be FLEXIBLE WITH COMMUNICATION, if it is by speaking/lipreading, or writing back and forth, or SL or body language, it should not matter. As long as communication happens, and two persons understand each other clearly. Hearing ppl do not know how to do this, they just think in terms of communicating by speaking and listen only. Deaf ppl have to learn to not get angry at hearing ppl, when that happens, but to try to show them that it is ok to communicate in a different way.

Originally posted by Banjo
Again, this "Deaf Culture" thing...

I know that we have a community, but there is NO "D"eaf Culture.

Deaf Culture was, in fact created in 1988 purely for political reasons, not ethical reasons.

Enough said.

How do u define culture then?

Hmm..

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
REALLY?? it is the opposite for me, people are always signing to me or trying to do fingerspelling when they find out I am deaf, even though I WAS talking to them!!! Some people have actually asked my friends how I communicate and I am right there talking to them - I turn around to them and said "hey like this, you can understand me right" and wink at them lol........I am oral so it is ironic to me that they think I sign while my friends that are primarily ASL communication have hearing people think that they can lipread...... The amazing thing is that even though I tell people I am deaf, they ask for my number....I am like, I cant hear! lol....I said unless you go through text or opr. relay, not gonna happen so just email me instead........

Interesting. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

Around here, people act the opposite. I've had one too many instances in which Hearing people approach me thinking I'm one of them, until I indicate that I'm Deaf.

At that point, they almost always ask me if I could lipread. I tell them that I'm not exactly good at it, but they usually just shrug it off and still talk to me.

When that happens, and they're too hard to lipread, I gesture for a paper and pen (or offer it to them) to better communicate. A few actually write it down without any hesitation, but a majority of them do it with a groan or an impatient expression. A few actually just refuse to comply and walk away - thinking I'm some dumb monkey.

Very - I mean VERY few people in this city (which is ironically, Rochester, one of the highest per capita population of the Deaf Community in the country,) actually have full understanding, tolerance, and acceptance of the Deaf Community around here.

Perhaps it's my own perspective. But I'm not alone in this - as a native Rochesterian along with my friends, we all have complained of this to each other for a long, long time. It seems to be getting worse as time passes by.

As for oralism - whatever works for you, use it. I use that method ONLY when it comes to communicating with Hearing people that I know and trust well enough to let me know that they cannot understand some of what I was saying, and vice-versa. We usually resort to pen and paper as a last resort or to clarify things said via lipreading or speech.

I do admit that I feel much more comfortable communicating with people in sign language. It's my native language, as oralism is native to some, so... ;)

Sorry if I sound bitter - however, I'm trying my best to look at this whole thing on both sides. Anger is a great obstacle to overcome!

Originally posted by Pure Ion

Right on! :D

If you cross-reference COMMUNITY and CULTURE carefully in the dictionary and thesaurus, you'll find that these two words are very closely linked to each other one way or another. They're interwoven - one cannot exist without the other.

Be careful when you try to dismiss the notion of whether there is a Deaf Culture or not. ;)

Originally posted by Angelcat
I think no matter if she signs or speaks. Just be proud of herself and be the way she is. Just let her show what she can do. Not for everyone. Remember everyone is very unique individual.
yeah, that's true

umm, dont you ever thought of this - if christy wanted to use sign language on survivor but WHY WOULD SHE? she is in a group of hearing people with NO EXPERIENCES of deaf culture, sign language skills (finger spelling), and they dont know what to do. Soo it would be forever to teach everyone to learn how to sign.... see my point??

BUT, christy SHOULD HAVE teach some of people (WHO WOULD BE interesting in learning sign language... ((IF NONE, then thats where the problem/situation is)) ) at least few words so they could help christy understand the process of everything going on the survivor.... soooooo.. thats my opinion.. anyone agree? disagree, why?

Originally posted by Pure Ion

I made a thread about it in the forum - debate.....Deaf Culture Go there so we can discuss more in detail and not go off topic about this survivor thread ;)

Back