Deaf support system... help?

Deaf_Elements

Reaction score
I received an email about a week ago from an acquaintance of mine that works at an advocacy centre for anyone with a disability. She wanted help in forming (or reforming) a support system for deaf students and to help prepare them for whatever they choose to do with their life after grade school. There isn't anything of the sort in this area, and I'd really like to help future students in figuring out what they want to do with their life and how to go about doing it.

This place used to have an after school programme for deaf students to meet up and hang out if they didn't go to the local school with the deaf programme. Unfortunately, several years ago that programme has ceased.

I guess what I'm asking is help with ideas of what you guys would have liked to have seen in a such system if it was available for you when you were in school. Such as tutoring systems, career guidance, college guidance, job training, or just plain ol' interaction with other deaf peers.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas you guys may have. :ty:

This place used to have an after school programme for deaf students to meet up and hang out if they didn't go to the local school with the deaf programme. Unfortunately, several years ago that programme has ceased.

I guess what I'm asking is help with ideas of what you guys would have liked to have seen in a such system if it was available for you when you were in school. Such as tutoring systems, career guidance, college guidance, job training, or just plain ol' interaction with other deaf peers.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas you guys may have.
Info on summer camps and programs, info about schools with good dhh programs, like ISD or MSSD or mainstream high schools with regional dhh programs (I do think that a lot of mainstreamed dhh kids may be unaware that there are dhh programs and that they accept kids from the whole spectrum of losses) social stuff (high school can be and is HELL)

I received an email about a week ago from an acquaintance of mine that works at an advocacy centre for anyone with a disability. She wanted help in forming (or reforming) a support system for deaf students and to help prepare them for whatever they choose to do with their life after grade school. There isn't anything of the sort in this area, and I'd really like to help future students in figuring out what they want to do with their life and how to go about doing it.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas you guys may have. :ty:

A place Where we all work together and do our homework and help each other (hopefully there's a teacher of the deaf there to assist) and then socialize afterall would be nice. and free sign language classes :) hopefully it will be funded somehow.. like a church get funding from donations.

Thanks for the suggestions. I kind of lucked out when I went to a high school that had a deaf program... so I had the social support system. Before high school, I went to a grade school where I was the only deaf student in the district... So when they did have that after school programme, that's I got my good ol' dose of peer interaction.

At the very least, I want to start the after school programme and possible sign language classes at a very low cost or, if I can get away with it, for free.

oh.. If I didn't mention it before hand, I had inquired to this acquaintance at this centre about starting up a programme. It's something I've wanted to do since I graduated from high school and now, I've actually got the time to go forth with it.

Many deaf students from public schools do not know ASL. So just for them to socialize other deafs would frustrate them as they don't know ASL. It is more frustrating when they have communication issue in the first place and it can be very overwhelming for them to learn ASL as second language. The earlier they learn it, the better. I think it is a good idea to have the program availabe for all ages and not just for teens.

Last edited:
What an awesome idea.....and you could send fliers out to the local school districts.
You could also emphasize that it's for fun, and it's not some boring Hearing Health 101 thing...also emphasize that all kids, oral,sign only, bilingal, hoh, CI HAs unaided are welcome.
Maybe retreats to the state Deaf School?

I'd like for it to be all ages... and I think it would be better if it it did. The closest school for the deaf is in Springfield which is about a 5 1/2 hour drive from here. I do know of a bunch of deaf camps (lion's and ISD camps), so I'd be able to suggest to parents/kids of places to go where they can interact with just deaf/hh peers for a week.

The centre wants to just start with high school, which is fine too, but I'm going to push for all ages. Hopefully it will go somewhere.

The closest school for the deaf is in Springfield which is about a 5 1/2 hour drive from here. I do know of a bunch of deaf camps (lion's and ISD camps), so I'd be able to suggest to parents/kids of places to go where they can interact with just deaf/hh peers for a week.
Oh that sucks. But I would contact Deaf support organizations, and see if maybe they might have "retreats" at the Deaf School. Also some kids might be interested in going there.I do think a lot of kids may be unaware of the option of a Deaf School/dhh program, and that could really help a lot of kids. Oh.. maybe too contact regional dhh programs for social get togehters.

Well, locally we have a Deaf Resource Centre - It serves a number of purposes including a drop in resource centre (computers with internet access, videos, books, etc), a peer support centre, and a "info hub" for the Hoh/Deaf and ASL community (ie interpreters, Hoh/D educators, ASL students, etc) sending out emails daily (3-5/day on average) with info about things going on in the community, RWC movies playing, events taking place at our Deaf Centre (a huge building with apts, offices, bi-bi daycare, a theatre, cafeteria etc), personal announcements (births, deaths, items for sale/wanted etc)

We also have a number of mentor groups, including a Deaf literacy program aimed at post secondary and up ages teaching methods to improve written and read English skills using real life activities etc, as well as a reading program for adults and older kids to read with younger kids to improve their reading and signing skills.

There are various sports, darts, curling, bingo, pool (billards) clubs as well.

The goal should be to ensure that Hoh/Deaf individuals of all ages are able to take place in the same activities as their hearing peers where communication is not a barrier. Also, it MUST be open to all interested Hoh/d/Deaf individuals (and their families) regarding how much/little hard of hearing, or deaf they are or if they do or do not use a HA or CI- and must have a "zero-tolerance policy" stating that no one be discriminated against for ANY reason including by not limited to: communication, amplification (HA/CI/none), medical condition, IQ, EQ etc. Period.

Many groups including children's groups (scouts, reading buddies, peer mentors etc) can use a resource centre as a central location where H/Hoh/D/Deaf people can learn about various activities, sports, social, academic/educational, peer, play group, parenting, etc events and activities are available in the city and surrounding area. The resource centre makes it possible for these "little groups" that can't afford to advertise on their own, a way to become known to the community.

I hope that helps , a bit ?

Thanks Anij. Thats a lot of info and it helps. Initially we're going to start with high school students to get started, but our ultimate goal is to make it for all ages. Funding is limited but hopefully we can raise money and bring awareness to the local and surrounding communities of a place for all deaf/hh students can hang out at as well as any hearing students who are interested in interpreting or just the deaf cultures.

Baby steps right now.. but ultimately, we want it for all ages and all groups.

you could always start a afterschool daycare for parents who work. This way you can help deaf children and yet get paid for it.

Back