Deaf School

True we don't know the intent. And it is possible that some parents will see what you are describing here. But I think it is more likely that the video will be ignored by those that can hear. I also believe those hearing people who do watch will see your first point. Karma. Aka....chip on the shoulder which also comes off as bitterness. And the hard truth is that bitterness and isolation, justified as they may be, don't sell well with most people. So we go back to intent.

lol what? bitterness? don't sell well with most people? ignored? I doubt it. It's certainly not targeted toward to general public because they obviously do not care about it at all.

many parents who put their children in deaf schools do know ASL. this video is most likely targeted to those who are involved in deaf culture.

after reviewing the video... even if it was CC'ed, it will not interest you anyway. don't worry about it. but if you really want to know - I'd strongly suggest you to ask your deaf friend (not us) to translate it for you because it would actually make me happy to see you doing that. It shows initiation and a genuine interest.... plus great that you have a deaf friend (a real person of course) who signs.

So... ask your deaf friend :)

lol what? bitterness? don't sell well with most people? ignored? I doubt it. It's certainly not targeted toward to general public because they obviously do not care about it at all.

many parents who put their children in deaf schools do know ASL. this video is most likely targeted to those who are involved in deaf culture.

after reviewing the video... even if it was CC'ed, it will not interest you anyway. don't worry about it. but if you really want to know - I'd strongly suggest you to ask your deaf friend (not us) to translate it for you because it would actually make me happy to see you doing that. It shows initiation and a genuine interest.... plus great that you have a deaf friend (a real person of course) who signs.

So... ask your deaf friend :)

So, as Alley Cat and I agreed already...It depends on the intent. :cool2:

and I'm telling you that upon reviewing the video and its intent, it doesn't really concern you anyway since you most likely will not be interested in it.

but if you want to know - feel free to contact your deaf friend about it. :cool2:

Well, we don't know the intent behind the filmmaker of this. They may have accomplished exactly what they wanted - you got to see a video that you had no clue what was said/signed. It can show parents exactly what their kids experience -- no clue what is being said.

I agree what you are saying but it give you and other hearing person knowing that we have gone through with mainstream schools having to be involve in oral-only method and we did not get a clue of what is being said in the hearing classrooms. No sign language were not allowed in my schools and never had ASL interpreters and we had to put up with this sh*t. That is the reason why we or should I say I did not get good grades when I have trouble trying to comprehend or understand what the teachers and hearing students were discussing in the classrooms. Same with family gathering whether with Mom, Dad and siblings plus whole lot of extended family members who refuse to sign expecting us to lipread or to listen like a hearing person. That is what make me feel frustrated a lot and not happy what they are not communicating with us or me. If you want to communicate, then use ASL. If not, then you are the one who have no clue what we are talking about. :(

^^^ That's what I was trying to say too. Too many deaf kids, even me, didn't understand much of what was said while growing up. Time to give the parents a chance to experience what that's like for us.

EDIT TO ADD: I did have ASL growing up, so I had ASL interpreters all my school years so that made my school years easier. But at home, with family, at holidays, etc.? No. I understood practically nothing. So I understand what you felt like too. It was so frustrating.

Seriously, don't do that. Don't lump me in with your "argument". We don't know what the filmmakers intent was, yes, but that's where it ends.

Seriously, don't do that. Don't lump me in with your "argument". We don't know what the filmmakers intent was, yes, but that's where it ends.

No, actually we also agree that the fact that the lack of captions makes for a powerful message. Whether intended or not, it is very symbolic. My comments are regarding whether that message will be received.

No, actually we also agree that the fact that the lack of captions makes for a powerful message. Whether intended or not, it is very symbolic. My comments are regarding whether that message will be received.
It should be. I put the link above where it is captioned, and here is the trancription from that same link. Perfectly accessible to everyone.

Deaf Schools (with audio and captions)

ASLized!·
68 videos

Subscribe

86 1

About
Add to

Published on Jun 17, 2013

Produced by Joshua Beckman
Captioned by ASLized!
Special thanks to Robbie Sutton for providing audio support

TRANSCRIPTION BELOW:

VANCE YOUNGS (ERNEST C. DRURY SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): I have vivid memories at my Deaf school. They had some kind of festival for the Deaf children or ASL Literature week. Students would get in the front of camera and sign stories. I always became excited whenever I signed in the camera. I received numerous awards which gave me the confidence to become a TV host today. I thank my Deaf school dearly.

MARI KLASSEN (BRITISH COLUMBIA SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): Everyone in my family is hearing and can sign, but my Deaf school is where I always felt at home.

WAYNE BETTS JR. (AMERICAN SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): Reflecting my middle school days, I have always wanted to make movies. I borrowed my friend's small video camcorder and asked a dorm counselor for his permission to shoot on campus. He gave me his blessing as long as I could finish it in 2 to 3 days. I used my creative juices and shot lots of scenes. I tried my best at editing then everyone from the whole school came to watch my movie. It was the key to my inspiration. Signing made it possible for me to communicate my vision.

SERICIA JACKERSON (TEXAS SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): I was fine while attending a mainstreaming school all my life until I transferred to a Deaf school. My confidence in creativity and social skills truly soared. I used to be timid and somewhat stoic when signing, but I now become more expressive and creative such as ABC stories and sign play.

CAMILLE JETER-LORELLO (MICHIGAN SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): When I attended a Deaf school, I was assigned to read Edgar Allen Poe's work in English class. I had difficulty understanding "The Raven," but I had a Deaf teacher who was also fluent in ASL. I understood the story completely and learned English with ease.

JASON GUNDERSON (MARYLAND SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): While I was growing up, I always played sports league with hearing kids. However, they always made me feel inferior. That was until I entered a Deaf school, I finally saw things in a different light. The coaches signed his plays and strategies directly with the players. With communication, there is a clear system. Thanks to my Deaf school.

JODI OATES (TEXAS SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): I always have been shy all my life, but Theatre Arts at my Deaf school helped me build my confidence and overcome my stage fright.

REBECCA LOVITCH (MODEL SECONDARY SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): I attended a public school with lots of interpreters. Once in a while, the interpreter would miss and there was no one else to interpret. So, I would have to take over and interpret for my Deaf classmates. I transferred to a Deaf school and the experience was so different. Interpreters were not needed and I finally felt like a student without anyone else depending on me. I finally felt free.

FELICIA WILLIAMS (NEW JERSEY SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF) Looking back, I met a person named, "Kim Arrigo," a Deaf teacher who introduced me to Deaf culture and ASL. Her expressions were so powerful and I became more inspired to communicate more freely in my language.

JOSHUA BECKMAN (NEW JERSEY SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF): You watched all those people's stories, right? I attended a Deaf school, too. Am I the last one?

It should be. I put the link above where it is captioned, and here is the trancription from that same link. Perfectly accessible to everyone.

Thank you, the captions worked just fine. My no was to AC. I think we agree on more than she realizes.

Wow..I felt the same as those who grew up mainstreamed. How in a mainstreamed environment, I had low confidence, couldn't be creative, and etc until I went to Gallaudet and just wow!

I love how the ending symbolizes society's lack of empathy for Deaf schools.

*nods*
People think that oral skills and on par/above par academic acheivement is the key to sucess. It can be a part of it, but indeed its only a very small part of overall life sucess. Stuff like incidental learning, social skills etc are far more important.
Hell, look at all the hearing kids who fight to have perfect 4.0 GPA and try to take AP courses and all...but they have poor social skills and work so hard at being perfect that they never get to have normal social/emotional experiances. ....which is a REAL "hard" skill.....yanno about all the CEOs who dropped out of high school or who have a 4th grade reading level? They got that way b/c they're very talented socially etc.....
Heck, look at the Asperger/high functioning autistic people...they're smart and get good grades but very few of them will ever get really good jobs, as most careers depend on really good social skills.

Txgolfer i dont blame you for feeling that way. I felt like this for many years and still to the day. They keep forgetting to put CC on video or tv when they use voice, with no ASL.

Txgolfer i dont blame you for feeling that way. I felt like this for many years and still to the day. They keep forgetting to put CC on video or tv when they use voice, with no ASL.

I agree, I hate it when the voice videos do that as well. I do think this was a great video though. :ty: for posting.

It is good to see a video in sign language that is without captions for once. Captions coupled with sign language is too distracting. I just watched this video in ASL without the aid of captions - I use Auslan not ASL (I know very few signs in ASL) They also signed at regular speed (not slow for beginners) yet I still understood what they were saying.

Back