Deaf School

I think dogmom makes a good point, but I would argue that there are lots of uncaptioned asl videos out there that can serve that purpose. *Any* asl video can show a non-signing person what it's like to not understand, and hopefully spur some interest. I would think that *this* video is one that I wouldn't want to obscure.

I was thinking about this discussion, and I realized that I need to ask a question of the people who think this video shouldn't have captions:

If you were the person who created this video and you were posting it online, what is your goal? What do you hope to accomplish with this video? What do you want?

I just found out though FCC that captions are required for either English or Spanish spoken. There is no caption requirements by FCC for ASL as main language in video, plus the video is shorter than 10 minutes, therefore exempted from caption requirement. Even if video is made at home is not required to have captions.

Closed Captioning on Television | FCC.gov

I don't think he has any responsibility to non-signers, I don't think he has to do captions.

I think there are two reasons to make communication as clear as possible.

One is that you have a responsibility to your audience, or they need to understand your message, or some authority thinks this is true, etc.

The other is that *you* need them to understand your message, or it's important to you that they do.

My arguments for captioning this video involve the second reason, not the first, so FCC laws don't feel so relevant to me here.

If I'm sitting in a coffee shop with a few friends who sign, but everyone else in the place probably doesn't, how do I communicate? If I want to say "I think I'm going to get another coffee. I'll be right back." I'll probably sign that. We want to sign, we came to sign, and I have no need for everyone else to know that I want more coffee. But if the place is really crowded and one of my friends is having a medical emergency and we need to get him out to the street (lets say a claustrophobic panic attack and he can't breathe, I don't know) then I'm probably going to be as clear as I can, stand up and yell "Hey, can everyone back up? Clear a path? My friend is sick and needs to get to the door!" (And also sign if my friends are deaf.)

Point being, I'm not doing this for the benefit of the non-signers. I don't feel any sense of responsibility to them. I make my message accessible to them because it's important *to me* that they understand me. I would think that this video would fall into that category as well. We *want* everyone to understand what a difference it makes to go to a deaf school. Because we want them to support efforts to keep deaf schools alive.

No?

I think dogmom makes a good point, but I would argue that there are lots of uncaptioned asl videos out there that can serve that purpose. *Any* asl video can show a non-signing person what it's like to not understand, and hopefully spur some interest. I would think that *this* video is one that I wouldn't want to obscure.

I was thinking about this discussion, and I realized that I need to ask a question of the people who think this video shouldn't have captions:

If you were the person who created this video and you were posting it online, what is your goal? What do you hope to accomplish with this video? What do you want?
I assume that it was made for mainstream school students who know ASL or want to learn ASL. People in the video say that deaf schools are better. Doesn't it have interpretation into voice?

I assume that it was made for mainstream school students who know ASL or want to learn ASL. People in the video say that deaf schools are better. Doesn't it have interpretation into voice?

Not yet.

And my point is that they are making a pretty bad point. Just my opinion. One of the main complaints about deaf school (valid or not) is that they are not inclusive. A video without captions reinforces that point.

No, it is not a bad point. The video shoots a more powerful message to those who don't know sign just how hard it is for the d/Deaf to understand everything else. We are in the minority here. For once, we (who know sign) got the opportunity to understand something clearly instead of the "what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what" that we have to say on a daily basis.

At the same time, I do acknowledge that it doesn't convey to the parents how awesome the deaf schools are when they didn't understand the video.

Karma bites, sometimes.

I want to make a point to any hearing parents or any individuals that does not understand why we were forced to go into mainstream school just to make us suffer into oral-only method. It is not nice of them to make us do what they want us to do for them to be like them. There are other disability people who went through the same thing like we do being forced to do what the able bodied people want them to do for them. They are often not happy being forced instead of making the decision for themselves.

The babies can not make the decision for themselves. That is why the babies should wait until they are old enough to understand about surgery like CI. Surgery is just surgery for emergency, not like something you wanting to have a corrected body or corrected hearing just like face lift surgery to look like being perfect. That is totally different thing when it come to surgery. The babies can wait naturally and growing painless. They can be happy being in the deaf world of their own like I was when I was growing up. Leave the surgery out of it until they are old enough if they want to have it done for themselves. It is not fair to have parents or authorities to force deaf children especially babies to have to go through surgery when knowing what would happen if the devices are not helping them. It is never too late just because you want them to listen early and all talk about brain getting the sounds. That does not prove a point at all.

As deaf people, we just want to be happy and not have you mess around with us like this. Just learn to accept us as deaf children. If you want to make communication with deaf children, then learn how to sign Baby signs or ASL. That is simple enough for you to understand you can go half way instead of going all the way expecting us to lipread and to talk to you only.

That is why it is important for us to go to Deaf schools instead of Mainstream schools so that we can learn everything that we desire to learn. If hearing parents want to live close to Deaf schools, then so be it. The Deaf children will be happy to live in homes instead of the dormitories. If all of the family members can sign with them, then they would be all happy in the family unit. I hope so. :fingersx:

Odd though, that deaf schools would put out a video about the virtues of deaf schools and not caption it.

that's like saying - a Mexican school would put out a video about the virtues of American study abroad program and not translate it in English :roll:

And my point is that they are making a pretty bad point. Just my opinion. One of the main complaints about deaf school (valid or not) is that they are not inclusive. A video without captions reinforces that point.

what point? you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

No, it is not a bad point. The video shoots a more powerful message to those who don't know sign just how hard it is for the d/Deaf to understand everything else. We are in the minority here. For once, we (who know sign) got the opportunity to understand something clearly instead of the "what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what, what" that we have to say on a daily basis.

At the same time, I do acknowledge that it doesn't convey to the parents how awesome the deaf schools are when they didn't understand the video.

Karma bites, sometimes.

I think the powerful message will be missed. I believe most will ignore the video once they realize there are no captions. To me and I am sure others this would be a turnoff. It looks like passive aggressive bitterness.... Like you said.. "Karma." It may feel good but I doubt it will win many people over.

If this is the way deaf schools want to present themselves, that is fine. I don't have an issue with that at all. I am just noting that I don't believe this will receive the response they are hoping for.

Millions of hearing people DID complained about captions on TV, even movies. They don't make much noises about it but yes they DO complain, because they THINK Deaf people don't need caption, they think they can lipreading so whats point for captions?

Now with Video spoken in ASL, Hey hearing people read their lips, see if they could understand all the way? I don't think so! This is one way to educate the importance of captions on all shows. Especially with hearing parents with first time experience having a Deaf child. When they are trying to think of making their first Deaf child acts like hearing people, thinks captions are bad for them wanting them to train to learn read lips. This isn't gonna to work on most cases.

Once every damn shows, video includes captions, then I don't see why not add caption in ASL spoken videos, unfortunately this isn't going to happen until hearing people wakes up and STFMU and accept them.

I think the powerful message will be missed. I believe most will ignore the video once they realize there are no captions. To me and I am sure others this would be a turnoff. It looks like passive aggressive bitterness.... Like you said.. "Karma." It may feel good but I doubt it will win many people over.

If this is the way deaf schools want to present themselves, that is fine. I don't have an issue with that at all. I am just noting that I don't believe this will receive the response they are hoping for.

It is always deaf people who have to make the accodomations or get criticized for not making them. Nothing new.

It is always deaf people who have to make the accodomations or get criticized for not making them. Nothing new.

It is not about making accommodations....it is about reaching an audience. There is nothing wrong with an ASL video, but if the purpose is to reach a large audience it might be wise to communicate or at least translate in a way that
Can be received by a large audience.

(Also about AD policy/courtesy)

It is not about making accommodations....it is about reaching an audience. There is nothing wrong with an ASL video, but if the purpose is to reach a large audience it might be wise to communicate or at least translate in a way that
Can be received by a large audience.

(Also about AD policy/courtesy)

which is what specifically?

Well, we don't know the intent behind the filmmaker of this. They may have accomplished exactly what they wanted - you got to see a video that you had no clue what was said/signed. It can show parents exactly what their kids experience -- no clue what is being said.

Well, we don't know the intent behind the filmmaker of this. They may have accomplished exactly what they wanted - you got to see a video that you had no clue what was said/signed. It can show parents exactly what their kids experience -- no clue what is being said.

True we don't know the intent. And it is possible that some parents will see what you are describing here. But I think it is more likely that the video will be ignored by those that can hear. I also believe those hearing people who do watch will see your first point. Karma. Aka....chip on the shoulder which also comes off as bitterness. And the hard truth is that bitterness and isolation, justified as they may be, don't sell well with most people. So we go back to intent.

Back