Deaf Preschooler Being Forced To Change His Sign Name By School Officials

destijlist

Reaction score
This is an interesting article about a preschool in Nebraska that is asking a deaf child's parents to change his sign name because it resembles a gun (his name is Hunter). The accompanying video shows a short interview with his parents, and the school officials, giving their sides of the story. I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks about this.

Do you agree with the parents, or do you side with the school administration?

Deaf Preschooler Being Forced To Change His Sign Name By School Officials

umm just let u know they just post a video on cnn.com on that subject of that

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

i cant watch it yet cuz my brother is working and it may lag him so will watch it later but yall can check that out.
Thanks for the video link. (No captions?)

What I don't understand, is that the parents said that they were requested to change his sign name from SEE form to ASL form. What on earth would that be? The nonintialized sign for HUNT? :dunno: How would that be any less "weapons" offensive? I would think that would look worse to them. Weird.

The way the little boy signs his name doesn't look anything like a representation of a weapon. (Well, maybe vaguely like Yosemite Sam in action.)

ok i have done watch it now since bro is not working now. yeah cnn dont offer cc to any of news videos there unfortunely :(

yeah i agree i think it stupid cuz even my sign name is same sign as virgin which is what start it all back then but am still used to it. NO one complain about it. gosh that so stupid....

Back