• Yes. why not

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Is Oyster Bay a beach town?

Yes, it is mixed beach, big manors, lots of beautiful forests, lots of small curves (look like hill but very small) streets and regular houses. but it is a very very nice area. Most of the manor houses or cottage houses and it is very close to the ocean. I loved it there.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/1666768/explore-long-island-new-york-the-town-of-oyster-bay-ny

http://www.blavish.com/luxury/dream-homes/page/2/

But there are some small houses, cottage homes and big houses (not manors) too.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten all about that one. Even a CI wouldn't have saved her if she turned it off because she wasn't around hearing people. What if she was unable to locate sounds before train hit her even if it was on? Or just not paying attention till it's too late? I've been guilty of this one though I have to admit I've never walked close to train tracks..

It's a bad idea for anyone to walk in between train tracks or too close to them.

Exactly. Where I grew up in the country, there's a train track that run alongside the river. From my earliest memories, I knew to stay far away from the tracks when I was alone. And I always played by myself down by the river. i am really sorry for what happened to that deaf woman but she really shouldn't have walked so close to the tracks at all. Apparently the snowplow that struck her extended only 16 inches on either side of the tracks. For her to get struck, that means she was walking literally right alongside the tracks, not a smart thing to do at all.

Exactly. Where I grew up in the country, there's a train track that run alongside the river. From my earliest memories, I knew to stay far away from the tracks when I was alone. And I always played by myself down by the river. i am really sorry for what happened to that deaf woman but she really shouldn't have walked so close to the tracks at all. Apparently the snowplow that struck her extended only 16 inches on either side of the tracks. For her to get struck, that means she was walking literally right alongside the tracks, not a smart thing to do at all.

Sounds like she had no place to escape to.

Yes, it is mixed beach, big manors, lots of beautiful forests, lots of small curves (look like hill but very small) streets and regular houses. but it is a very very nice area. Most of the manor houses or cottage houses and it is very close to the ocean. I loved it there.

Explore Long Island New York The Town of Oyster Bay NY

Dream Homes - bLavish

But there are some small houses, cottage homes and big houses (not manors) too.

Those houses look like they're worth millions!

So that means hearing people who have gotten killed by trains were temporarily deaf beforegetting hit? Ah..makes sense now.

Oyster-bay-map.gif

yes but there are also houses or cottage homes.

if you guys can see Mill neck that is where the Deaf school is in Mill neck. only 5 minutes away from oyster bay.

I didn't know Sotheby sold trailer homes! I just thought they sold high end stuff like art and priceless furniture. Maybe it's one of those trailer homes from Neiman Marcus. I'm not certain that I have the right catalog though.

Oyster-bay-map.gif

yes but there are also houses or cottage homes.

if you guys can see Mill neck that is where the Deaf school is in Mill neck. only 5 minutes away from oyster bay.

Wow, if I were well off, I would want to move to Oyster Bay so I could live so conveniently close to a deaf school if I had a deaf child.

Did not mean to derail and have a post that was not about CI's. I just went with the title of the thread. Sorry. Will not post again, as my kids will not be getting CI's.

seriously, hearing parents have the sub forum please make your own threads there. i dont want to see my thread to upset hearing hearing hearing people. Question for Deaf parent, NOT hearing parents. You guys hearing parents are happy with your decision with your kids. That is wonderful.

Did not mean to derail and have a post that was not about CI's. I just went with the title of the thread. Sorry. Will not post again, as my kids will not be getting CI's.

this thread is mine, so you did not do wrong. feel free to post it here.

seriously, hearing parents have the sub forum please make your own threads there. i dont want to see my thread to upset hearing hearing hearing people. Question for Deaf parent, NOT hearing parents. You guys hearing parents are happy with your decision with your kids. That is wonderful.

i had to bump this one to make sure you guys read this because i did not do wrong or something wrong to you all at all.

i had to bump this one to make sure you guys read this because i did not do wrong or something wrong to you all at all.

Frisky, I think you did a wonderful thing with this thread. It really made me feel like there was a safe place for me to post about some things with my kids. Now, most people may not remember, but I am deaf, and both my kids are hoh. By that criteria, I felt like I was allowed and I thank you for saying that I was right.

I seriously do not try and throw my religion around. I only made a comment that was basically that my son (and I) believe that we were made to be this way. Same as anybody else who was born with specific issues. I realize others do not believe that way, but I took was upset that someone took offense and basically said my son was &ucked. That to me was not called for. That was why I removed the post.

Frisky, I think you did a wonderful thing with this thread. It really made me feel like there was a safe place for me to post about some things with my kids. Now, most people may not remember, but I am deaf, and both my kids are hoh. By that criteria, I felt like I was allowed and I thank you for saying that I was right.

I seriously do not try and throw my religion around. I only made a comment that was basically that my son (and I) believe that we were made to be this way. Same as anybody else who was born with specific issues. I realize others do not believe that way, but I took was upset that someone took offense and basically said my son was &ucked. That to me was not called for. That was why I removed the post.

What post was that? I didn't see it.

i really hate when people say "god made me this way" cause honestly, its just a scientific defect.
Not to put down religion, but, do you have to really believe that god wanted you to be deaf (or blind, or mental, or small, or big, or black, or white, or yellow, or brown?) We have ears that are designed to catch vibrations for a reason, we have bunch of features in our eyes to see, we have a brain for knowledge. Why would god want to take something thats so powerful/useful in terms of sense away from us?

Thats why I am very pro-CI. Technology (science) allows us to take these defects, and try to make it as close as possible to the natural way of hearing, seeing, ect.
What makes us who we are is our adaptation to these defects and making best of it. People that dont want CI/hearing aids, cool, you are most likely to be very knitted into the deaf culture with ASL, you made yourself, not god.
Me, I acknowledged that i am deaf yet i use CI, I made myself the person who I am, deaf with hearing as natural as possible can.

I should mention that I am not into religion very much, and always look at things from scientific reasoning.

edit: i dont wanna fight, just expressing how I see CI's. The fucked up teenagers comment was very uncalled for, as I dont see myself fucked up or many CI users I have met in my life... a-hole.

Here Botti.

Back