Deaf Paramedic.

NaidaUP

Reaction score
“We ran into the fire to get everyone out” Meet Abbie Collins, London’s Deaf Paramedic | The Limping Chicken

I think this is awesome, a deaf paramedic is working in London UK.

Just shows that being deaf means you can't not do things.

She works with her regular crew mate which they have made up signs to help in emergencies/life an death situations and noisy places.

From how she talks about it, I believe she does wear hearing aids as well.

I'm a Paramedic... I function with hearing aids. I also work along side of a deaf fire-fighter who has a C.I. =P

I know of deaf nurse RN..i no see the problem aslong as got speedy reaction,deaf make good para medic, life guards,fire/men/women in fact i would say reactions quicker in this sort of enviroment

I know of deaf nurse RN..i no see the problem aslong as got speedy reaction,deaf make good para medic, life guards,fire/men/women in fact i would say reactions quicker in this sort of enviroment

I know several Deaf RNs as well as doctors locally. We also have a Deaf police officer (he does not know sign language though).

Seems to be the US is a lot better at letting people do what they want as a job. To be a firefighter in the UK, you are not allowed to have any type of hearing loss even if its a 10db loss, you won't be allowed to do that as a job.
I wanted to be a firefighter all through school but was told no.

I'm sort of interested in fire fighting but I dont think they allow deaf in structure fires here. I'll have to research more to find out, obviously. I'm really not sure what I want to do, most of the jobs I am interested in require hearing or at least ASL. Hopefully, I'll find some direction for my life soon whether it's ASL classes and/or career training or whatever. We'll see.

I'm sort of interested in fire fighting but I dont think they allow deaf in structure fires here. I'll have to research more to find out, obviously. I'm really not sure what I want to do, most of the jobs I am interested in require hearing or at least ASL. Hopefully, I'll find some direction for my life soon whether it's ASL classes and/or career training or whatever. We'll see.

The electrical industry is a good career. Even a knucklehead like me has succeeded. Potential for big$$$$$. Woody.

I was a hoh health aide and there were a few more hoh health aides in the company I worked for. I never had anyone complain about me to my boss .

I'm an hearing EMT and I think this is fantastic! I don't see why this can't be done. Yes, some might see it as a danger but you won't be working alone. I think there are several possible ways to make this a doable thing all over the world. I'm learning ASL so that I can be more of a use as I've seen a couple of deaf patients treated poorly simply because they couldn't hear (not by my crew but other people) and no one would take the time to help in a way that made everyone understand what was going on. But, I definitely hope this becomes more wide spread!

I remember hearing about a deaf EMT in Pennsylvania too - about an hour or so away from where I lived. I never had the opportunity to meet him though. But he made the news. The article mentioned that there were actually benefits to having deaf paramedics; i.e. they could detect certain cues or vibrations that hearing paramedics couldn't. Pretty cool :)

Back