DEAF in one Ear and HEARING or HOH other Ear

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
Do you know anyone who is DEAF in one Ear and HEARING in other ear or HOH? Are you?

I know several people who are HEARING in ear and the other ear is DEAF. I found it pretty weird. I know its up to them to make their choice in life based on their convenience.

My Mother's brother is deaf in left ear. Hearing in right ear. I know an interpreter from college who was deaf in left ear and interpretered just fine.

Story of my friggin' life. Completely deaf on one side with ZERO residual, and 15 dB loss in high frequency on the other side. Negative fifteen dB is technically within normal range, so basically it's deaf as a rock on the right, normal on the left.

Do you know anyone who is DEAF in one Ear and HEARING in other ear or HOH? Are you?

I know several people who are HEARING in ear and the other ear is DEAF. I found it pretty weird. I know its up to them to make their choice in life based on their convenience.

What do you mean? Choice about what? I have a hearing aid for my left ear, but I can't understand anything with it, it's profound to no response, so yep pretty much deaf. My right the hearing aid helps tremendously, so HoH in that ear loss starts about 90 at 250, then drops off to 110 for most frequencies some are at 100 and 105, mostly at the higher end 4-8Hz, profound.

I lost all hearing in my Right ear-February 19, 1992 At that time in Profound category, both ears. Became bilateral DEAF December 20,, 2006.

What do you mean? Choice about what?

I'd like a clarification too. Is it that we don't fit into either hearing or deaf culture or that neither culture fully accepts us?

The truth is, there are more of us than there are deaf/Deaf and less of us than there are hearing. If we formed our own culture, we would be quite a force.

What is so unusual and what choices are they supposed to make? This condition is rather common - British actress Stephanie Beacham is deaf in one ear and hears fine in the other, true also of the former Prime Minister of Pakistan, Benazir Bhutto. Were they supposed to give themselves a label or live their life? Are people with this type of hearing loss obligated to live on someone's terms other than their own?

Laura

I'd like a clarification too. Is it that we don't fit into either hearing or deaf culture or that neither culture fully accepts us?

The truth is, there are more of us than there are deaf/Deaf and less of us than there are hearing. If we formed our own culture, we would be quite a force.

yes you got it right. That is what i mean, which do you feel comfortable with either hearing world or deaf world. now you mention that there is middle/between two worlds. Is that like some of you who have patience for someone who speak or signor mixed of both but none with hearing approach of culture or deaf approach of cutlure.

I don't understand the need of people to compartmentalize everything, especially people, whether it's based limitations or abilities. Sometimes the boldest statement a person can make is to just be themselves. Labels be damned...

Laura

yes you got it right. That is what i mean, which do you feel comfortable with either hearing world or deaf world. now you mention that there is middle/between two worlds. Is that like some of you who have patience for someone who speak or signor mixed of both but none with hearing approach of culture or deaf approach of cutlure.

I can only speak for myself: We don't have to make a choice, our convictions are our own. We understand the closeness of the Deaf community and we respect and sometimes even envy it. But, make no mistake, we do not identify with a closed culture. We don't think others should adapt to us when we are fully capable of adapting to others. For US, it is not an all or nothing proposition. We would much rather have one culture that tends to the needs of it's people instead of finding ways to divide it. This is what we believe in because we have sisters and brother who are deaf and sisters and brothers who are hearing and NOTHING is going to change the fact that we accept them all even if they don't accept us.

I can only speak for myself: We don't have to make a choice, our convictions are our own. We understand the closeness of the Deaf community and we respect and sometimes even envy it. But, make no mistake, we do not identify with a closed culture. We don't think others should adapt to us when we are fully capable of adapting to others. For US, it is not an all or nothing proposition. We would much rather have one culture that tends to the needs of it's people instead of finding ways to divide it. This is what we believe in because we have sisters and brother who are deaf and sisters and brothers who are hearing and NOTHING is going to change the fact that we accept them all even if they don't accept us.

Thank you for your input here. I thought your BOTH hearing are decreasing? not one heairng?

I don't know what you mean or are trying to imply with "I found it pretty weird. I know it's up to them.... "

I was born totally deaf on my right side (NR @ +120db). I also have mild/moderate fluctuating hearing loss on my left (use a BTE) as well as Auditory Processing Disorder (APD).

Depending on the situation, I can sometimes manage (but not thrive) in the hearing world. If it's one on one conversations in a quiet room where I can also speechread, I do well. If it's noisy I'm functionally bilaterally deaf in terms of being able to understand ANYTHING (APD in addition to being Hoh&deaf basically short circuits the brain's ability to hear and understand).

I consider myself functionally Hoh and culturally Deaf and float between both worlds. I do not, and have never ever considered myself hearing (even back when my left side was "basically normal hearing"). Only in very unusual situations can I use (understand on) a phone - even with my BTE, because APD means my brain garbles anything I can't "see" even if my audiogram says it's within my hearing range.

In most ways I set my life up like any other deaf person - I have visual signallers, a Sonic Boom alarm clock, a TTY (we don't have VRS in Canada). I have ASL interpreters when I've attended University (or public events).

The challenge for me is helping others understand how I hear ... because it can be very confusing depending on the situation. If it's quiet I hear and understand fairly well ... but as soon as there's any background noise (even a fan, quiet music, people talking etc) I function like a profoundly deaf person relying entirely on speechreading and minute auditory cues I might be able to pick up.

I never talk in "percents" because it's utterly useless - however if I was to create a percent for the amount I hear it's about 30% in "ideal" listening situations (sound booth) and about 10% in "real life".

Does that answer your question?

Story of my friggin' life. Completely deaf on one side with ZERO residual, and 15 dB loss in high frequency on the other side. Negative fifteen dB is technically within normal range, so basically it's deaf as a rock on the right, normal on the left.

Just a technical comment ... it would actaully be +15db, not -15db

I Does that answer your question?

Yes. It came to my mind, as to why I find it weird becuase this person who can hear but the other ear who can't hear. It seems to me that its difficult to have both worlds, such as hanging out with friends. Indeed, i know some people do hang out who are both speaking and signing. But for some people made chocie of hanging out with hearing people or deaf people.

i guess it is all about with upbringing, experience and parents play role with the culture. :dunno:

Yes, someone on my course is deaf in one ear and hearing in the other. And now she's learning ASL.

Also, my aunt is deaf in one and hearing in the other.

I have known so many people who have that going on. I think most of them would be surprised that anything at all about a culture of deafness, hard of hearing, or that any thing like that would even be an option. They are really adept at using that good ear to the point that if they did not tell it would be tough to know it. That is people with regular good hearing in their good ear.

Yes. It came to my mind, as to why I find it weird becuase this person who can hear but the other ear who can't hear. It seems to me that its difficult to have both worlds, such as hanging out with friends. Indeed, i know some people do hang out who are both speaking and signing. But for some people made chocie of hanging out with hearing people or deaf people.

i guess it is all about with upbringing, experience and parents play role with the culture. :dunno:

I don't fully buy that people make those kinds of choices, unless they're prejudice. Most people talk or socialize with whomever is kind to them..unless they have insecurities or hang ups.

Laura

Back