Deaf Hate Crime Alert! Deaf Mother and Daughter Mowed Over on Purpose................

yizuman

Reaction score
at the car wash fund raising event....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1BtqxhK7MQ]YouTube - DEAF HATE CRIME HAVE BEEN COMMITTED!!![/ame]

source: Driver confesses to intentionally hitting mother, daughter - 13 WTHR

Driver confesses to intentionally hitting mother, daughter

Updated: May 23, 2010 5:39 PM EDT
Video Gallery
Driver confesses to crash
2:15
The mother and daughter were hit on E. 56th Street. The mother and daughter were hit on E. 56th Street.
Derek Dewitt Derek Dewitt
HEADLINES
New Indiana prison rule limits extended family visits
Kanaan qualifies for 500 after second crash
Gas prices fall as holiday weekend approaches
Driver confesses to intentionally hitting mother, daughter
Souder planned to end re-election bid from burnout
Greenwood high school won't screen graduation speeches
State cuts to end health program for Indiana Burmese
Indiana Wolf Park welcomes four new pups

Cat Andersen/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - A Plainfield mother and daughter are recovering after being intentionally run over by a car.

Metro Police officers say 43-year-old Derek Dewitt told them he was driving down East 56th Street near Kessler Boulevard when he saw the woman and her daughter standing on the median, hit the accelerator and deliberately steered his SUV toward them.

"According to statements made by that driver, he intentionally sped up and struck both of them," said IMPD Sgt. Paul Thompson.

Tina Boozer-Carter, 41, and her 15-year-old daughter, Dawn, were both knocked unconscious and taken to the hospital in critical condition.

"According to the officers, the two women were standing on the median, holding a sign for a car wash that was somehow affiliated with the deaf school," said Sgt. Thompson.

Police say several witnesses saw the whole thing unfold and heard the driver's confession. They say he showed no remorse.

"He was observed operating the vehicle at a high rate of speed, struck the women, stopped and then made some type of statement to the witnesses and to the officers that he intentionally struck these women," said Sgt. Thompson.

In the police report, one witness is quoted as saying, "There were no brake lights. He intentionally swerved to hit them. He then got out and said, 'Yeah, I [expletive] hit them. They [expletive] dead now, ain't they?'"

Another witness stated he heard Dewitt say, "Yeah, I did it. And you can call the cops and I can tell them why I did it."

But police say he still hasn't explained why he did it, only that he meant to.

"We're still waiting to hear exactly what his motivation was for striking these women. It's our understanding he had no prior contact with them and did not even know who they were," said Sgt. Thompson.

Dewitt was arrested on the scene for several felonies, including attempted murder. They say the only offense on his record they can find is a parole violation about two years ago. Investigators are looking at why he was serving parole in the first place.

Police do not believe alcohol was a factor, but they're still waiting for toxicology test results.

My questions is what the hell is his problem? Why does he hate the deaf community? What brought on this hate? Where did it come from?

Yiz

There are just crazy people in the world .... you will never understand why because you are sane.

That is terrible and I don't know what to say, except that I hope he goes to jail for a long time if he never show his remorse. Yes, I am curious why he did that and hate the mother and the daughter. Was it the sign that they held up that might make him upset? Only way I can see is that he has gone loco or crazy with hate so much. He had no right to hurt women. As a matter of fact, why do men seem to want to hurt women no matter if we are hearing, deaf, disabled, blind or just plain normal women? There has been lot of murders and killing to women and young girls (teenagers) for many years. It is wrong for men to be so controlling over women no matter if he knows them or not know them. It just hurt my heart to feel that women are not respected and be equal like every man on earth. Gawd! :roll: :(

Last edited:
That is terrible and I don't know what to say, except that I hope he goes to jail for a long time if he never show his remorse. Yes, I am curious why he did that and hate the mother and the daughter. Was it the sign that they held up that might make him upset? Only way I can see is that he has gone loco or crazy with hate so much. He had no right to hurt women. As a matter of fact, why do men seem to want to hurt women no matter if we are hearing, deaf, disabled, blind or just plain normal women? There has been lot of murders and killing to women and young girls (teenagers) for many years. It is wrong for men to be so controlling over women no matter if he knows them or not know them. It just hurt my heart to feel that women are not respected and be equal like every men on earth. Gawd! :roll: :(

Well, when it comes to men hurting women, it's due to insecurities, resentment on how some women treat them and a lack of self esteem. It could also be an attribute to the hate of females in general if a mother abused them or or a feeling of abandonment (left or died).

There are many ways to make men hate women, but some of what I pointed out above is just a few of them. Molestations by females is rare, but they do exist nonetheless.

Yiz

Were they run over because they were deaf?

Well from the video, he's saying that witnesses have observed him parked across the street and have been watching them for quite some time. From what I understand from what he is saying, witnesses have seen him displaying alot of anger sitting there in his car and they have been signing alot during the process of washing the cars and the mother and daughter have been communicating every now and then while holding the signs to try and encourage people to pull up and get their cars washed for a small fee.

Then he says, he suddenly gunned his car and jumped the median and ran over the girls. It's been assumed by the group of people washing cars that his motives was hate crime because they're deaf. The driver had to know that based on the time he's been observing them prior to committing the crime.

Whatever his motives are, it'll eventually be revealed when more information on the case comes out, especially when it goes to trial.

Seeing his mugshot, he appears to be well groomed, not disheveled. Those that are mentally ill, from my personal observations in the past, being well groomed is the least of their concerns.

I'd say he's been harboring ill will for quite some time and my guess is he just snapped.

We'll see what comes out of this case as time goes by....

Yiz

We don't know yet why he hit them. He could be mentally unstable. If it turns out he hit them because the mom and daughter is deaf, that is definitely a hate crime. Until we know more, we shouldn't jump to conclusion.

We don't know yet why he hit them. He could be mentally unstable. If it turns out he hit them because the mom and daughter is deaf, that is definitely a hate crime. Until we know more, we shouldn't jump to conclusion.

Ditto.

recently, someone in my home state drove and hit into the resturant. :roll:

I agree. Don't call it a hate crime (i.e. against disability, race, financial wealth, etc) unless it's a fact. It's an unfortunate incident.

I heard that this unfortunate incident did not rise to the level of a hate crime; something about the driver having mental issues and who did not take his psychotropic meds.

He said he saw evil. Because most people have a twisted thought on deafness when it come to religion, I wonder if it is the case. But whatever happen, I think he does regret his actions and not taking his medicine. But I can't tell he is just trying to cover himself or not. We'll see

Last edited:
Who says he hated deaf people?

He probably just hated mothers and daughters?

He probably just hated women?

He probably just hated people holding signs?

He probably just hated people?

Who says he hated deaf people?

He probably just hated mothers and daughters?

He probably just hated women?

He probably just hated people holding signs?

He probably just hated people?

:gpost: :gpost:

It is funny that he had to proclaimed that he did it and was hoping they were both dead. If that is the medication talking like an alcoholic who had a black out and does not remember his actions, then he need to go to the mental hospital to get professional help. :hmm: I have to agree with Vamp that he must have hated women gender or girl gender, whatever that is. :roll:

We don't know that he hated anyone. If he is psychotic he may not even seen them as human, let alone as female. He could have truly been "seeing evil" - monsters, demons, Satan. I've seen some articles guessing he may be schizophrenic. If that's the case and he's been off his meds, there's no way we can guess what he saw.

Yes, what he did is absolutely horrific, but we really ought to wait until we know more before declaring this any sort of targeted hate crime.

We don't know that he hated anyone. If he is psychotic he may not even seen them as human, let alone as female. He could have truly been "seeing evil" - monsters, demons, Satan. I've seen some articles guessing he may be schizophrenic. If that's the case and he's been off his meds, there's no way we can guess what he saw.

Yes, what he did is absolutely horrific, but we really ought to wait until we know more before declaring this any sort of targeted hate crime.

I agree, he probably was schizophrenic.

I know Tina and her family.
They just had a fire and were being helped with a hotel room while they were trying to find a new home. They went to the fundraiser and now are both still in critical condition.

The first reports said the guy stated - I got me some white people - and asked if they were dead yet. Tina and her family are multiracial.
They have not said if it was racial hatred or deaf hatred or a combination. They were still investigating.
The Indiana School for the Deaf website has links to contribute for the Boozer-Carter family.

Back