Deaf.....gay?

Southern

Reaction score
A friend of mine tells me storys and says this person who is deaf is gay and that person and so on. Then he says that he only knows 2 people in town who are Deaf and gay. So what do you think would be the percentage amoung the Deaf community. Are gays a small percentage or higher than with hearing? I am sure y'all have done a head count!! LOL

Possible they hiding somewhere in city. I know there was number of deaf and gay but only I met was less 10 of them. I find out there is more than 10 of them.

Who knows when you meet and not often see them anymore....maybe once a year or few appears in a year...

My wife tells me it is very common in the deaf culture, but the percent that I have seen is abt the same in the hearing world and the deaf world. But I think the open gay/les is more common in the deaf world. I know that my wife was grossed out one time when one of her gay friends told her abt his sex life. I also think it is more common in the deaf schools then anywhere too. She tells me her school was mostly gay and les in school, but now, they are streight after High School.

Well it is said that 1 out of ever 10 persons is gay lesbian bisexual or transgender. So 10% of the population, and 8.6% of the united states population has some sort of hearing loss, hoh or deaf. Only 412,000 americans are considered to be profoundly deaf in both ears which is about 0.18% of the american population.

So 1 out of ever 10 of those 412,000 people about 41,200 are bisexual, transgendered, gay, or lesbian.

So theres your answer about 41,200 deaf people are in the LGBT community. The figure can change depending on what you consider to be deaf, the statistics i used were for people who were profoundly deaf in both ears, but if you want to also include deaf people that can hear some things just not hear or understand speech, the number of lgbt people is much higher, and if you also want to include hoh people, then the number of gay and lesbian people in the deaf community is very much higher than if you just look at people who are profoundly deaf.

There are so many gay people in the deaf community that they have entire forums devoted to being gay and deaf.

Since both work at the Arkansas school for the deaf, and I am in a lesbian relationship with a deaf person, I can say from knowing a strong population of the deaf community that the number of deaf gay people is really about the same as the number of gay hearing people.

Oh well High percentage of gays and lesbians in California is really high... lots of friends of mine are lesbians and gays.. even almost all interpreters here in Los Angeles are gays and lesbians.. but they are wonderful...

Oh well High percentage of gays and lesbians in California is really high... lots of friends of mine are lesbians and gays.. even almost all interpreters here in Los Angeles are gays and lesbians.. but they are wonderful...

Colorado and Boston too :):):)

Not me....I'm 100% straight guy! Yeah, some of you know that I'm a pure straight.

Not me....I'm 100% straight guy! Yeah, some of you know that I'm a pure straight.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that anyone was trying to imply that all deaf people are gay. You dont have to prove that you are straight, we believe you, even though its rather irrelevant.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that anyone was trying to imply that all deaf people are gay. You dont have to prove that you are straight, we believe you, even though its rather irrelevant.

Yeah....

Thanks Your Mom. Well i meant culturally Deaf which i know some here in AD don't like that whole thing so please save the comments about that term. I have read your feelings on that, those who object. People, HOH or profoundly Deaf or not, who see themselves as Deaf. From talking to my friend it seems that there are alot. So then i think where are they? But if what has been happening in the entertainment world is any indication, ( Lance Bass, Neil Patrick Harris, the guy on gray's anatomy) there are more of us out there then some would have us believe! LOL but then we knew that already! LMAO

Back