Deaf-friendly Town In The Works

umm Shiva.....link went on a dead end :(

Anyways it aint the first time somebody dreamed up a Deaf utopia. Martha's Vineyard has to be the most ultimate Deaf-friendly town.

sorry about link went dead so i had to go back and take a snap shot of page here it is below...

Attachments

• deaf-friendly.gif
    deaf-friendly.gif
    37.5 KB · Views: 14
thanks.... I wish them the best of luck.

I think it may work as it includes hearies, as other failed attempts at Deaf Utopia's excluded hearies from planning and set-ups. Makes me think if the planners used Martha's Vineyard as a yardstick when they were meeting about Laurent, SD.

yeah ofc i am sure they will include hearies but they need to learn sign language for communication so that most important thing they are hoping to success other than set up city for deafies.

true. But I'm not sure if the location (Laurent, SD) is such an ideal site to set up a town that is being envisioned. But hey, it's just a start :)

It would have been nice if they did one for the Southwest (NM, AZ, West Texas) or the Deep South, as I'm no fan of cold weather!

Another issue is how will the city mothers/fathers create jobs for the residents and get their local economy up to speed. Also they should set up a school for kids of school age.

yeah I agree with you sable, I was kinda of have doubt that they pick south dakota. Who knows it may work out or it may not. IT cant hurt to try and see how it goes.

yeah, my friend just told me about it. they just moved to Sioux Falls three months ago, her hubby works for a company that is owned by a deaf person... I can't remmy the company's name. Interesting though.

Shiva said:
I saw this in Dallas Quick magazine it like a short verison of Dallas morning news. They also have it online here you can check out

http://www.quickdfw.com/news/usaworld/stor...uage.b9cda.html

Thought it would be interesting if this actually happen...
You must have copied the URL off a forum/bulletin-board? :) Here is the same article you tried to show here.

Anyway, I'll post to what I think of the 'deaf town' thing soon.

brian actually no it not from forum/bulletin board, it from Dallas Quick which is basically news site just like cnn. I just post it because I saw it in Dallas Quick magazine yesterday.

Back