Deaf Education Program at Teacher's College

AmyCy

Reaction score
Is there anyone who has gone or is going to Columbia University's Teachers College to get an EdD in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing?

To preface, I have bilateral cochlear implants. I was hearing impaired for 17 years with hearing aids. I lost all of my hearing at 17 and was completely deaf for a year. until i got my first implant.
I am getting my Bachelor's Degree in Illustration and Painting. For the past several years I have taught art lessons at camps, elementary schools. And the past year I have been a tutor in painting techniques to a wonderful 14 year old girl. I love it so much. So, I am considering going to grad school for Art Education up in NYC. But I am more interested in doing Deaf Education, because I would love to teach kids who may have been through some of the things i have been through. Although, i would teach any kids, I just think I understand deaf and hearing impaired kids more than hearing kids- emotionally and psychologically.

So I'm wondering if someone who has gone to TC for deaf education, can tell me a little bit about the program. I got the catalog, but it doesnt really give me a personal perspective. so whatever experiences you can share would be much appreciated.

-Amy

What is your philosophy in Deaf education?

I have a Master's in Deaf Ed and my philosophy is the BiBi approach.

I haven't really solidified my philosophy yet. i think it really depends on the child's preference, the degree of their hearing loss, and their environment. I'm more about the total communications approach. I believe in teaching the English language, mostly reading and writing, before Sign Language. I guess that would be the reverse bi-bi approach.

I haven't really solidified my philosophy yet. i think it really depends on the child's preference, the degree of their hearing loss, and their environment. I'm more about the total communications approach. I believe in teaching the English language, mostly reading and writing, before Sign Language. I guess that would be the reverse bi-bi approach.

The children must have a strong foundation of language first before they learn to read and write. The only language that is fully accessible is ASL because it is in visual form. Hearing kids must develop a strong foundation in whatever spoken language before they can learn to read and write too.

I have seen too many children come to my BiBi program so delayed because they didnt get a chance to build a strong L1 foundation during their formative years.

Total communication is risky because right away, nobody knows what each child's needs are until years later..best to start with both ASL and spoken English.

I do not like the idea behind of using ASL as a last resort if the children do not pick up spoken English. It puts the children at risk for language delays therefore making it very very difficult for them to develop higher literacy skills. I just cannot do that to any deaf children no matter what the parents say. They have a right to full access to language from the beginning just like hearing children do.

Good luck with your studies.

Ahhh....more of the same old same old. Checked out the results of TC lately?

Back