Deaf Education - One size does not fit all

I just told you their primary language was ASL no others were introduced to them, even their parents signs better than I've seen most hearing parents would sign. It can't be in TC because TC are in public schools. I would have to ask what program they were in, all I know is that they grew up in a deaf residential schools.

My brother works in a Deaf school and it is a TC program. He is studying for his Master's degree in the BiBi philosophy and he told me that there is no way that his place of employment is using a BiBi approach. Even in their handbook, they identified themselves as a TC program. BTW, he told me that AZ doesnt accept the BiBi philosophy for the public educational setting..same thing with California. Good question would be is that ...how many other states forbid BiBi education. Problem is that they are referring to the Spanish speaking population and forgot about the deaf/hoh population. Spanish-speaking hearing children can hear so therefore, they have full access to spoken English while deaf children dont so how is that fair...

Anyways...TC are not just in public schools only.. they are also in Deaf schools too. There are also oral deaf schools too.

I just told you their primary language was ASL no others were introduced to them, even their parents signs better than I've seen most hearing parents would sign. It can't be in TC because TC are in public schools. I would have to ask what program they were in, all I know is that they grew up in a deaf residential schools.

Most residential schools starting using the TC approach in the mid to late 70's. TC didn't start getting used in the public schools until the push for mainstreaming that came with IDEA. That is when they started developing self contained programs for the deaf in the public school system, and when they started using TC as a methodology for those programs.

Most residential schools starting using the TC approach in the mid to late 70's. TC didn't start getting used in the public schools until the push for mainstreaming that came with IDEA. That is when they started developing self contained programs for the deaf in the public school system, and when they started using TC as a methodology for those programs.

I didnt know that..it was the Deaf schools that used the TC approach first? Interesting...lol!

My brother works in a Deaf school and it is a TC program. He is studying for his Master's degree in the BiBi philosophy and he told me that there is no way that his place of employment is using a BiBi approach. Even in their handbook, they identified themselves as a TC program. BTW, he told me that AZ doesnt accept the BiBi philosophy for the public educational setting..same thing with California. Good question would be is that ...how many other states forbid BiBi education. Problem is that they are referring to the Spanish speaking population and forgot about the deaf/hoh population. Spanish-speaking hearing children can hear so therefore, they have full access to spoken English while deaf children dont so how is that fair...

Anyways...TC are not just in public schools only.. they are also in Deaf schools too. There are also oral deaf schools too.

**nodding agreement** The fact is, there are relatively few Bi-Bi programs out there. And you are correct, that most policy isset based on the immigrant population, and the policy makers seem to forget that we have a native U.S. population that needs ESL as well.

**nodding agreement** The fact is, there are relatively few Bi-Bi programs out there. And you are correct, that most policy isset based on the immigrant population, and the policy makers seem to forget that we have a native U.S. population that needs ESL as well.[/QUOTE]

or they think that all Deaf children need to learn spoken language not ASL. :roll:

I am happy that we have adopted the public school curriculm, however, I have some problems with the LA curriculm. Too much emphasis on phonics so I have to be creative on how to make those phonics lessons benefit my students who dont have any auditory input...presto! I changed them into fingerspelling lessons and my students reading and spelling skills just took off like a rocket!!! Teachers HAVE to be creative so I dont have time to worry about how to teach using both signing and speech. No thank u...

You make valid points about communication but nobody is suggesting an oral only environment.

AGBell
Clarke School for the Deaf
Central Institute for the Deaf
St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf
John Tracy Clinic

They all are pro-oralism. I am sure there are more that I didn't know of. Somebody is suggesting an oral only enviroment.

AGBell
Clarke School for the Deaf
Central Institute for the Deaf
St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf
John Tracy Clinic

They all are pro-oralism. I am sure there are more that I didn't know of. Somebody is suggesting an oral only enviroment.

:barf:

:giggle:

**nodding agreement** The fact is, there are relatively few Bi-Bi programs out there. And you are correct, that most policy isset based on the immigrant population, and the policy makers seem to forget that we have a native U.S. population that needs ESL as well.[/QUOTE]

or they think that all Deaf children need to learn spoken language not ASL. :roll:

I am happy that we have adopted the public school curriculm, however, I have some problems with the LA curriculm. Too much emphasis on phonics so I have to be creative on how to make those phonics lessons benefit my students who dont have any auditory input...presto! I changed them into fingerspelling lessons and my students reading and spelling skills just took off like a rocket!!! Teachers HAVE to be creative so I dont have time to worry about how to teach using both signing and speech. No thank u...

Even a phonetic approach doesn'twork for all hearing kids. But itdoesn't surprise me that you found a cerative solution to the problem!

Even a phonetic approach doesn'twork for all hearing kids. But itdoesn't surprise me that you found a cerative solution to the problem!

Thanks...it is NOT easy...sometimes I wish there were other teachers of the Deaf here who have experienced many different programs here so at least we can have some people who can understand what it is like. U are the closest to knowing what it is like.

I am referring to Deaf ed not teaching hearing kids cuz it takes a different skills to teach Deaf kids especially those with language delays. It would be nice if someone here can walk in my shoes what I walk in daily. I love it but it is heartbreaking regarding to different issues sometimes.

I would love to dare any of you to take my shoes and do my job for one month and try your beliefs on my students. I would love to know if your opinions would still remain the same or change.

I used to believe that all deaf children were better off being raised in an oral-only environment and that ASL interfered with their spoken language development. I also used to blame ASL for deaf people's poor literacy skills. I was proved WRONG on all counts BIG time. Now, I know all the issues and factors surrounding those concerns and realized that ASL is not to be blamed, that is for sure.

I just would love for some of you to experience teaching deaf children in different programs and try to teach them using the philosophies you believe in. I had to do a lot of hard self-analyzing on my values of educating deaf children..it was an eye-opener for me.

I would love to dare any of you to take my shoes and do my job for one month and try your beliefs on my students. I would love to know if your opinions would still remain the same or change.

I used to believe that all deaf children were better off being raised in an oral-only environment and that ASL interfered with their spoken language development. I also used to blame ASL for deaf people's poor literacy skills. I was proved WRONG on all counts BIG time. Now, I know all the issues and factors surrounding those concerns and realized that ASL is not to be blamed, that is for sure.

I just would love for some of you to experience teaching deaf children in different programs and try to teach them using the philosophies you believe in. I had to do a lot of hard self-analyzing on my values of educating deaf children..it was an eye-opener for me.

Well I don't blame you.

Before I had to help deaf students doing their homework. I found out it was very tough to help them with their homework. Even it isn't teach them but helping them with homework are very tough and I can't imagine what teacher have to go through everyday in class.

Only teachers I don't like are those with lousy expectations. Making thing too easy for students instead of challenge them everyday.

Well I don't blame you.

Before I had to help deaf students doing their homework. I found out it was very tough to help them with their homework. Even it isn't teach them but helping them with homework are very tough and I can't imagine what teacher have to go through everyday in class.

Only teachers I don't like are those with lousy expectations. Making thing too easy for students instead of challenge them everyday.

OOHHH I dont have low expectations for my students...

These are their vocabulary words for next week...

disguise
hollow
moss
crater
owling
threading
swoops
pumping
and 10 or so more...I give them 20 vocabualry words for them to identify each week.

For math, they will have to learn how to subtract using mental math..

like 57-28...instead of 57

they have to say in iether ASL or writing..."change 28 to 30"

"57 subtract 30 is 27
27 add 2 cuz we added 2 to make 28 into 30
so 27+2 is 29 therefore the answer is
57-28 equals 29."

I expect them to explain that using ASL or in writing. Those are 8 year olds that I am teaching. I have high expectations.

Thanks...it is NOT easy...sometimes I wish there were other teachers of the Deaf here who have experienced many different programs here so at least we can have some people who can understand what it is like. U are the closest to knowing what it is like.

I am referring to Deaf ed not teaching hearing kids cuz it takes a different skills to teach Deaf kids especially those with language delays. It would be nice if someone here can walk in my shoes what I walk in daily. I love it but it is heartbreaking regarding to different issues sometimes.

Even though I am able to understand the issues, I don't do your job, and therefore, can't understand it from your perspective. I know enough, however, and have seen the results often enough to know that your job is very difficult, and one that takes a very special person. The closest I have come to doing a job like yours is one on one tutoring for deaf students, and a few students with LD. It takes a strong person to keep on trying to make a difference even though it can be heartbreaking. But if you make a difference in just one child's life, you have done your job well.

disguise
hollow
moss
crater
owling
threading
swoops
pumping
and 10 or so more...I give them 20 vocabualry words for them to identify each week.

"57 subtract 30 is 27
57-28 equals 29."

I expect them to explain that using ASL or in writing. Those are 8 year olds that I am teaching. I have high expectations.

Where are you when I was in school?!?

Lol. That's awesome. Your method is a lot better than what I did. I would just change 7 to 17 and sub. That just make it harder because you still got to sub through longer process. At my school we used fingers to sub and add. I wish I never learn that method because it was an embarrassing habit. I would wish I learned it through your method or through memorize.

Lol. That's awesome.

That's what the public school curriculm says for the lessons. I am following what it says only that I am modifying to make it visual for my students but the concepts are the same anyway.

The math lesson is part of the development of critical thinking skills.

I could have just taught them how to subtract 57 and 38 using regrouping and just move on but we want our deaf kids to develop higher critical thinking skills, so I am teaching them different mathematical thinking strategies. Luckily, my class doesnt have severe language delays but next year, the class that is coming in have severe language delays so I dont know how I will teach them that concept (if I stay in the same grade). From what I am told by the other teachers, that group has a hard time grasping the concept of numbers ..that is what happens when deaf kids dont develop a strong L1 foundation. GRRRRRR!

disguise
hollow
moss
crater
owling
threading
swoops
pumping

"57 subtract 30 is 27
57-28 equals 29."

Those are definatley high expectations!

Lol. That's awesome. Your method is a lot better than what I did. I would just change 7 to 17 and sub. That just make it harder because you still got to sub through longer process. At my school we used fingers to sub and add. I wish I never learn that method because it was an embarrassing habit. I would wish I learned it through your method or through memorize.

The hearing kids of my time were taught the way you were taught (I was in a public school with hearing kids)....the curriculm has been recently modified to involve more critical thinking skills and abstract thoughts (due to the NCLB law). That is why it is even more critical for our deaf children to have a strong L1 foundation before they are 5 years old. The Russian Roulette game of their language development needs to stop.

That's what the public school curriculm says for the lessons. I am following what it says only that I am modifying to make it visual for my students but the concepts are the same anyway.

I could have just taught them how to subtract 57 and 38 using regrouping and just move on but we want our deaf kids to develop higher critical thinking skills, so I am teaching them different mathematical thinking strategies. Luckily, my class doesnt have severe language delays but next year, the class that is coming in have severe language delays so I dont know how I will teach them that concept (if I stay in the same grade). From what I am told by the other teachers, that group has a hard time grasping the concept of numbers ..that is what happens when deaf kids dont develop a strong L1 foundation. GRRRRRR!

Yikes.

So true. And a perfect example of what I mean when I say that other cognitive skills are dependent upon acquisition of an L1 language.

Back