Deaf Culture

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
I was wondering, under what criteria do the Deaf meet for status as a cultural group.......... I know language is one but I dont know the other...I was wondering, do you think there is a Deaf culture, if so why, if not, why not............

I do know that most deaf people are not born into it, only 10 percent are from a Deaf family.... I dont know about traditions and other things.......

u do not have to do anything to be a part of deaf culture. you simply just have to be deaf, and to understand the concept.

Deaf Culture mean invlvoed soical, use ASL, deaf like brother/sister, sure have some assoication there. and more thing stuff etc.

Ah, I see where you're coming from. I wasnt born in "deaf culture"... neither raised. So I was basically growing up in "hearing world" with no aspects of deaf culture until I hit high-school and met others, learned more about the culture itself. Its wonderful. NO I'm not fluent in ASL. NO, I dont hate deafies. The only way to get involved the culture itself is "communicate" and "learn" and "understand" others.

Originally posted by Strawberry
Ah, I see where you're coming from. I wasnt born in "deaf culture"... neither raised. So I was basically growing up in "hearing world" with no aspects of deaf culture until I hit high-school and met others, learned more about the culture itself. Its wonderful. NO I'm not fluent in ASL. NO, I dont hate deafies. The only way to get involved the culture itself is "communicate" and "learn" and "understand" others.

hehe jen - i didn't know any signs until i repeat 4th grade in '93-'94, then i entered ISD in '97-'98 ... so i undy both

I think that the criteria for the existence of the deaf culture is based solely on the fact that this group is made up of people who has hearing difficulties, i.e. deaf, HOH, late-deafened, etc... We all share the same experience. One part of this "culture" is the idea of elevating the status of "Deaf" ppl who use ASL, etc and ignoring the HOH and other groups. They tend to argue about it and so forth. I am tired of "prejudices" that exist within the deaf culture and community. I know of deaf ppl who do not want to socialize with HOH and same for HOH who think deaf ppl are stupid. I am like, come on, grow up.

To put it in other words: think about the American culture. Is it okay to say that California lifestyle is 100% American culture? That would leave out the Texan cowboy culture, Louisana Cajun culture, fast-paced life of New York, etc... I do not think that it is good idea to ignore a whole part of a group just to support the idea of a "Deaf" utopia. We need to accept diversity within our culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
BabyPhat, I don't think whenether you attended the class "Human Communications" class during your psychology major, however, according to "Human Communications" psychology point of view, culture are formed by the frequent presence between two or more parties of the same interests, disability or common grounds. We are currently in what is known as "Cyper Society" where people from all over the world meet by means of Internet, sharing the common knowledge of Internet technologies, lifestyles and so on. Various deaf cultures vary based on their common languages, struggles and interests in how they deal with their life. They are initalized by two parties and are grown from continuous exposure of themselves to the outside society.

Hmm I been out of deaf world for a long time so im rusty. (only been in for a couple yrs) My friend is having a hard time understanding me. Also I dunno much about the deaf culture. So im learning. Ill be happy to learn from yall if you willing to teach.

Originally posted by LinuxGold
BabyPhat, I don't think whenether you attended the class "Human Communications" class during your psychology major, however, according to "Human Communications" psychology point of view, culture are formed by the frequent presence between two or more parties of the same interests, disability or common grounds. We are currently in what is known as "Cyper Society" where people from all over the world meet by means of Internet, sharing the common knowledge of Internet technologies, lifestyles and so on. Various deaf cultures vary based on their common languages, struggles and interests in how they deal with their life. They are initalized by two parties and are grown from continuous exposure of themselves to the outside society.

no I havent took that class, we dont have it in my university but I am taking a Deaf Culture class so I am trying to learn more...

it doesn t matter when you attended classes or went to a mainstreamed school. its all about knowing the history and the culture that was formed thru the years. I been in the deaf community and hearing community, i was raised in both world, but have strong feelings for the deaf community! Deaf RULEZ! :bowdown:

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
no I havent took that class, we dont have it in my university but I am taking a Deaf Culture class so I am trying to learn more...

I strenuously recommend that you study "Human Communication" course to fully understand about societies, cultures and so on. It will assist you in understanding the life itself in general.

Originally posted by LinuxGold
I strenuously recommend that you study "Human Communication" course to fully understand about societies, cultures and so on. It will assist you in understanding the life itself in general.

LIKE I said, my school DOES NOT have that class, I cant take it if it s not offered unless you have a website I can read up??

and I want to know what is YOUR definition and thoughts about the Deaf Culture

Originally posted by Strawberry

Gosh strawberry i thought i was reading about my life LOL. This is the same scene I was not born in the deaf culture either i grew up in the hearing world... I didnt meet other deaf folks until my junior year. I knew signlanguage i was strictly S.E.E. signing exact english.. But I hardly used it i am more of a lip reader/talker than signer.. So when I met this group at this camp thingie that was in my city OMG!!! I went home crying the first day!!! i was like 17 years old how pathetic was that... They were just totally mean and rude and didnt accept me at all So i thought FUCK IT!! ill stick with the folks that dont put me down for something i had no control over... until college .... I was required to go to this meeting to meet ALL The inturpreters since i was gonna have a different one for each class right.. and there were the rest of the Deaf folks there... I tell you I almost didnt go.. because I was afraid of rejection .... But what do you know i ended up dating one of the deaf guys :D but it didnt last very long.. and I never went back to college after my first year... I decided to get a job and get married LOL Then When we moved here to Iowa... and I found a church with inturpreters there were 3 other deaf older people that attended... They liked me at first but then it quickly went downhill because they criticized every aspect of my life.... I even for the first 6 months studied ASL very very hard I made every single effort but STILL wasnt good enoug they wont accept me. Sigh.. I cant change who i am.. I am who i am and i wish they would understand that. If they cant then its their loss.

Originally posted by Poyznive52899
Gosh strawberry i thought i was reading about my life LOL. This is the same scene I was not born in the deaf culture either i grew up in the hearing world... I didnt meet other deaf folks until my junior year. I knew signlanguage i was strictly S.E.E. signing exact english.. But I hardly used it i am more of a lip reader/talker than signer.. So when I met this group at this camp thingie that was in my city OMG!!! I went home crying the first day!!! i was like 17 years old how pathetic was that... They were just totally mean and rude and didnt accept me at all So i thought FUCK IT!! ill stick with the folks that dont put me down for something i had no control over... until college .... I was required to go to this meeting to meet ALL The inturpreters since i was gonna have a different one for each class right.. and there were the rest of the Deaf folks there... I tell you I almost didnt go.. because I was afraid of rejection .... But what do you know i ended up dating one of the deaf guys :D but it didnt last very long.. and I never went back to college after my first year... I decided to get a job and get married LOL Then When we moved here to Iowa... and I found a church with inturpreters there were 3 other deaf older people that attended... They liked me at first but then it quickly went downhill because they criticized every aspect of my life.... I even for the first 6 months studied ASL very very hard I made every single effort but STILL wasnt good enoug they wont accept me. Sigh.. I cant change who i am.. I am who i am and i wish they would understand that. If they cant then its their loss.

Another stoy of typical deaf prejudice....just be thankful you didnt have a CI for them to rip on too.

I think our generation of deafies needs to really try hard and accept deaf people no matter what they use to try and hear or communicate or whatever. No more internal discrimination.

i was born Deaf and altho raised by hearie parents -- they had me grow up with "TC" (total communication) and went to pre school with other Deaf kids at a Easter Seals program and was also started to send me to summer camp when i was 5 years old and always went to summer camp every year -- so i was already exposed to the Deaf culture and had an identity that lasted all thru my life -- i was mainstreamed though from K to 3rd grade prior to my asking mom i wanted to go to MarylandSD (cuz i knew alot of the kids from camp that went there and had friends there) -- im more immersed in the Deaf community than i am with the hearie community cuz of feelings of being left out, lack of communication and etc etc --

so i definately :bowdown: to the Deaf culture and identity and the language and i embrace it with all my heart and soul --

Cain is right -- poyzn -- be glad u didnt get CI cuz it would prolly be a bit harder and yes there is Deaf prejudice that can occur

Originally posted by Cain Marko
Another stoy of typical deaf prejudice....just be thankful you didnt have a CI for them to rip on too.

I think our generation of deafies needs to really try hard and accept deaf people no matter what they use to try and hear or communicate or whatever. No more internal discrimination.

Well *sigh* when i turned 20.. and i was living in Nevada my folks and I heard about the Cochlear Implant. and we got talking about it in very depth ... It was something that you just dont decide over night i man damn i been deaf for 14 years at that point thats all I knew and it was terrifying.. that my life could change if it acutally worked. So we decided to go in for testing to see if i was a good candidate or not. after series of testing and a CAT Scan... I was all okayed for surgery they said i would be able to hear 95 percent of the spoken english on my right side. Well...The day of the surgery... they ran into complications while they were operating... Turns out that my cochleus (snailshaped part in my ear) Was full of solid bone (scar tissue) They tried to drill it out so they could get the device in.. But No success.. They just sewed me up and sent me home!!! Later the Dr realized that the white solid bone should have showed up on the CAT Scan but it didnt why because that LADY that did it MESSED UP!!! and didnt do it right!!! AS RESULT The right side of my face the nerves and the muscles have not completely healed to this DAY.

So I did try it out. I didnt even get half way there.. and yes i got ridiculed once by One person... She told me that because I tried it out.. that means that I dont accept my deafness!! I am like WTF!!! Whatever ... Opinions are like faces everyone has a different one.

I was wondering, do you think there is a Deaf culture, if so why, if not, why not............
Well if there isn't, I've just wasted a fortune on tuition for my Deaf Culture class, and I've spent way too much time studying it! LOL

A Journey into the Deaf-World by Harlan L. Lane is a pretty great books about Deaf Culture, if anyone is interested. Maybe it's obvious to me that the culture is different because I'm hearing and not a part of it. For example, I've been learning about Deaf Culture and cultural differences for a year now but some things are never clear until you see them. I actually prefer Deaf Culture to hearing culture. Deaf are more blunt and honest with you; Deaf always want to know when they'll see you again before you leave; Deaf love to have conversations. I know these are generalizations and I hope no one gets upset at me for doing so, I mean it as a compliment. I hope my input helps a little.

Originally posted by Sydlie

Deaf are more blunt and honest with you; Deaf always want to know when they'll see you again before you leave; Deaf love to have conversations. I know these are generalizations and I hope no one gets upset at me for doing so, I mean it as a compliment. I hope my input helps a little.

THAT is VERYYYYYYYY true LOL -- no i dont take it as an offense :)

A Journey into the Deaf-World by Harlan L. Lane is a pretty great books about Deaf Culture, if anyone is interested. Maybe it's obvious to me that the culture is different because I'm hearing and not a part of it. For example, I've been learning about Deaf Culture and cultural differences for a year now but some things are never clear until you see them. I actually prefer Deaf Culture to hearing culture. Deaf are more blunt and honest with you; Deaf always want to know when they'll see you again before you leave; Deaf love to have conversations. I know these are generalizations and I hope no one gets upset at me for doing so, I mean it as a compliment. I hope my input helps a little. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats agreeable and no offense to me, i belive in what the harlan lane book justifies in the deaf culture!

Originally posted by Poyznive52899
Well *sigh* when i turned 20..
and yes i got ridiculed once by One person... She told me that because I tried it out.. that means that I dont accept my deafness!! I am like WTF!!! Whatever ... Opinions are like faces everyone has a different one.

I am sorry to hear that that happened. Did they look at implanting the other side?
Its too bad you got that attitude from another deaf person...sometimes opinions are more like a--holes, everyone gots one of those too.

Back