Deaf Community...

hellos245

Reaction score
:wave:I want to make this post, because I feel comfortable here, and know I can get some honest answers. Plus, I feel its a good place for it.

I am an ASL student and I want to be apart of the Deaf Community. I know its rare for a hearing person to be accepted into the Deaf Community...but I would love to be accepted. I want to become fluent and experience everything possible.
I have a very high passion for ASL, and the Culture is amazing. I want to learn as much as I possibly can!

Is there any tips, suggestions, any information on anything that you can give me?

If you have any questions for me, I will gladly answer anything. :ty:

Know you have a hearing perspective. Set it aside somewhere else.
Be ready for bluntness. Persevere. Laugh at yourself.
Learn from Deaf people.
Then you may be accepted by many.

Don't worry too much about---- me, deaf, you---- hearing. Just find common interests and you'll be surprised at how quickly you click with others deaf or not.

Thank You for the advice. I just really want my 1st impression to be great, and I dont want to ruin my chances of being accepted into the Deaf Community.
What happens if they dont accept you? And what happens when they do accept you?

well when you first get accepted the gates of hell will open bellow your feet. This may seem scary at first but after a 5 minute conversation with the devil u will realize he just likes to play practicle jokes. Keep your cool as the steam gushes upwards and then an elevatore will take u to the room where we all party and bullshit. It kinda freaked me out the first time it happned.

I don't feel like the fact I am HOH should make you nervous. Treat me like a regular person, be yourself and don't think that you are better because you can hear. I grew up hearing and now that I can barely hear at all, I notice people have started to mouth things to me really big and super slow (which actually is harder for me to understand) or get anxious around me. It's silly and makes me feel frustrated. So, (and I only speak as a newbie to the culture) I would suggest you leave your ears at the door and have a since of humor. Be yourself.

I don't feel like the fact I am HOH should make you nervous. Treat me like a regular person, be yourself and don't think that you are better because you can hear. I grew up hearing and now that I can barely hear at all, I notice people have started to mouth things to me really big and super slow (which actually is harder for me to understand) or get anxious around me. It's silly and makes me feel frustrated. So, (and I only speak as a newbie to the culture) I would suggest you leave your ears at the door and have a since of humor. Be yourself.

Oops, I sneaked my ears in... Don't look, don't look, I'm hideous!!!

^^^I've seen your ears on your old avatar. They're cute and furry!

He he, they will come back eventually. I can only do ceramic ears for so long.

Ok...

Its not the fact your HOH that makes me nervous...everything makes me nervous, Im just that kind of a person. Its the fear of rejection thats making me more nervous then anything. Its a deaf person (or anyone fluent in the language) saying "You sign bad, why are you here." I dont want to make a bad impression and say the wrong thing, or get misunderstood, and be categorized with the rest of the hearing people.
It is also going to be nerve-racking for me to enter a world I have never really experienced before.
I will treat you like a normal person, because you are. I do not think Im better because I can hear...not at all!

I have a 100% effective way for you to get accepted into the deaf community. For just $500 in 4 easy payments to my paypal account you will get all you need to become an offic,al FRIEND OF THE DEAF.
Hurry thisb is for a limited time only. Due to the high demand hearing people placeon the value of this.

Back