Deaf college for cochlear kid?

Also its extremely common for a kid to hit the spoken language wall when they are a bit older (ie upper elementary) The only difference is that the spoken language delays aren't "has fifty words" in preschool.. Dhh kids can and do develop spoken language,but it's always going to be a weakness...it is exactly like how an English speaker can speak Spanish/French but their abilty with those languages would top out at a basic elementary level. Like they could read the equalivant of Frog and Toad/Kids of the Polk Street School type of literature but couldn't even read Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Chose Your Own Adventure style lit.......not to mention that adult literacy and concepts would be BEYOND them.....make sense now?

Actually that research is biased,and is done on OPTION school kids..(very selective oral schools.) Not the oral population as a WHOLE...they're just getting better at telling kids who NEED ASL early on,that they need it...They're still getting a plethora of transfers from CID/Moog/St Joesph's at the Special School District ..Yes,the language gaps aren't as severe.....that doesn't mean they don't exist.Very few dhh kids completely graduate/sign off from speech therapy..(and most of them are in it due to LANGAUGE issues not mechanics).also many oral kids still have significent written language issues (reading and writing)....the ONLY difference is that their speech skills are a bit better (like on the level of HOH kids basicly....did you know that 30% of HOH kids still have a lot of the same issues that deafer kids do?
Like it's common for an oral kid to be say 10 years old but have the receptive and expressive spoken language skills of a 5 year old. Also, oral kid's verbal IQs (which measure mastery of spoken language) are still not up to par with hearing kids....if oralism worked then dhh kids would have on par verbal IQs.
Finally I did not say that enrollment was increasing at res schools.....There ARE schools such as Texas School and Rocky Mountain Deaf School as well as some others that have seen increased enrollment (TSD has 500 students this year) There are regional dhh programs....res schools aren't the only options.....I said that the difference is that oral kids(who struggle) tend to now be transferring to their state Deaf schools or regional dhh programs,instead of transferring to Clarke/CID/St Joesph's around fourth grade like in the old days.

The research I was referencing is longitudinal, at several sites across the US, including the entire state of Colorado and has nothing to do with one school or another. It shows that 85% of students are caught up by age 5 and stay caught up through all the years of school. That is the opposite of what you have seen. Can you share where you are getting your information? I would like to see it. One of my projects this semester is involving some journal articles, and I would love to see some that are showing what you are seeing.

I would suggest him to watch switched at birth starting with season 1 just because some of the issues he is experiencing is what they cover throughout the show. Some of the characters on the show roles he will be able to identify with though I have not watched the 3rd season myself

I have ci myself and am not excluded in the deaf culture at all. No one has ever discriminated me upfront just because of my CI in the deaf culture it is basically accepted nowadays just like hearing aids. though I do not wear it all of the time as I dont need it as im an ASL signer and dont need to voice what Im saying.

Maybe the hardest part of the road to acceptance of his deafness is to come when being deaf, ci is not cure it all. i know myself first hand how limited CI is for myself it is frustrating not being able to explain its not as natural as some claim it to be. I wore analog hearing aids before i completely lost my hearing beyond profound deaf they didnt bother to do the hearing test anymore. I am the only deaf in my family. What helped me was my entire immediate family learned how to sign fluently and with grandparents few aunts and uncles knowing few signs it made huge impact on me socializing more. If your nephew is alone alot, maybe you and your nephew can take some sign classses and enjoy your time together learning something new. Or if its too akward just sign up for some hobby related class together. Making an effort to interact with him would do him world of good.

To be realistic about college prospects... language processing issue is going to be even harder for your nephew to succeed academically. Put that together with social immaturity, he has higher chances to flunk out. Too many deaf classmates when I was at RIT left within the 1st quarter and more didnt last longer than the 2nd year. Its a reality check for many of them. Too many dont have the right tools yet to start college. I would strongly recommend giving him more time to grow academically and gain more social skills beforehand by testing the waters taking community college classes to catch up and get some college credits in too.

I have ci myself and am not excluded in the deaf culture at all. No one has ever discriminated me upfront just because of my CI in the deaf culture it is basically accepted nowadays just like hearing aids. though I do not wear it all of the time as I dont need it as im an ASL signer and dont need to voice what Im saying.

Maybe the hardest part of the road to acceptance of his deafness is to come when being deaf, ci is not cure it all. i know myself first hand how limited CI is for myself it is frustrating not being able to explain its not as natural as some claim it to be. If your nephew is alone alot, maybe you and your nephew can take some sign classses and enjoy your time together learning something new. Or if its too akward just sign up for some hobby related class together. Making an effort to interact with him would do him world of good.

To be realistic about college prospects... language processing issue is going to be even harder for your nephew to succeed academically. Put that together with social immaturity, he has higher chances to flunk out. Too many deaf classmates when I was at RIT left within the 1st quarter and more didnt last longer than the 2nd year. Its a reality check for many of them. Too many dont have the right tools yet to start college. I would strongly recommend giving him more time to grow academically and gain more social skills beforehand by testing the waters taking community college classes to catch up and get some college credits in too.

Right on! It's EXCELLENT that CI is getting more and more accepted.....Back in the day, a lot of extreme Deafies were against HAs.
Another suggestion, might be to transfer to one of the state Deaf Schools....I'm not sure if the California schools have a postsecondary program where kids bone up on academic skills before REAL college.

Oh....for any lurkers......I know a certain TOD was banned,but I thought I'd speak up.......Academic acheivement is only a SMALL part of sucess in school/life.....Just b/c a kid is academicly smart it doesn't nessarily translate to life sucess...if that was true,then ALL Asperger Syndrome kids would be achievers.....yet unemployment is SUPER high even with high functioning autistic people..........
Things like social emotional development,independance and creativeity are also a HUGE part of the puzzle....Unfortuatly, they're brushed under the rug as not that important..............

I just read an article that deaf people who have CIs who don't learn ASL struggle as adults with following meetings at their jobs that involved complicated topics or carry on business over the phone because despite being generally successful with their CIs, there are still missing areas of their hearing and those become apparent when trying to handle the complexity of the working world (if they chose high demanding careers). They struggle because they couldn't get terps or use VRS due to not knowing ASL. That is what hearing people keep failing to realize when they force deaf people to act like hearing people.

I just read an article that deaf people who have CIs who don't learn ASL struggle as adults with following meetings at their jobs that involved complicated topics or carry on business over the phone because despite being generally successful with their CIs, there are still missing areas of their hearing and those become apparent when trying to handle the complexity of the working world (if they chose high demanding careers). They struggle because they couldn't get terps or use VRS due to not knowing ASL. That is what hearing people keep failing to realize when they force deaf people to act like hearing people.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gee,what a concept?!?!?! Yes, oral skills are a very useful thing....BUT they shouldn't be the be all and end all......The key is a full toolbox...even adults with oral abilty can STILL find ASL fluency to be incredibly valueable......

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gee,what a concept?!?!?! Yes, oral skills are a very useful thing....BUT they shouldn't be the be all and end all......The key is a full toolbox...even adults with oral abilty can STILL find ASL fluency to be incredibly valueable......

That's why that deaf guy with CIs was suing his medical school for not providing interpreters for him when he was examining patients. He didn't know ASL, he used, what was it, cued speech? And they said he didn't need it, it was an imposition on them and patients and he does fine with his CIs. I haven't heard the results but I presume he's going to win.

That's why that deaf guy with CIs was suing his medical school for not providing interpreters for him when he was examining patients. He didn't know ASL, he used, what was it, cued speech? And they said he didn't need it, it was an imposition on them and patients and he does fine with his CIs. I haven't heard the results but I presume he's going to win.

Yeah...........ALL oralism does is cheat dhh kids out of the right to a full toolbox.........Like hearing people claim it's easier for dhh oral only people to get along b/c they don't "need" ASL 'terps............but isn't depending on stuff like oral terps,CS transliterators,FMs etc just as "dependent" expensive? It's SUPER rare for a dhh as kid person to function exactly like a hearing person...................

Me too. I think todtobe is the old member who have more than one accounts in the past. Same opinions as the old ones who are banned.

She was an old member....she was also being a troll.....a MAJOR ONE. Yes,it's not as hard for kids to develop verbal skills,and there aren't a ton of Deaf Like Me/Mr.Holland's Opus types of kids with SEVERE spoken language issues anymore.......They exist yes....but the spoken language issues and functioning of oral deaf kids are now more like the type of kid who would have transferred to an oral school 20 years ago.......the spoken language issues STILL exist,and oral kids are still lagging behind hearing kids.

Why do you feel that way? I can't figure it out on a site even named "Alldeaf". Shouldn't all sides be allowed?

Yeah, it wasn't that they were hearing and I hated them for it. They were a damn troll that just peed in everyone's cereal..... to say the least. They were almost demeaning deaf people in the way they would speak. I can't really think of one person who could tolerate that person..... So I had a HUGE smile when I saw they were banned. :D Now I just have to bide my time for yoda to be banned as well...... BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :devil: Yes, I said it..... I don't care! :P

Why do you feel that way? I can't figure it out on a site even named "Alldeaf". Shouldn't all sides be allowed?

Not when the purpose is to troll and demean Deaf people's views.

Not when the purpose is to troll and demean Deaf people's views.

Yes.Exactly.TODtobe.....and actually ANY pro oral pro inclusion
person really doesn't seem to reconize ALL the different factors that come into play regarding oral only and mainstream sucess..........If oral only is so good,then how come CID still asks the students that perform at the low end of the curve to leave for the special school district? CID(and the other option schools) are the best of the best when it comes to oral only.....if THEY still have kids who perform at the low end of the curve,imagine what is going on at the public school oral programs? How come oral kids have shown up at quite a few of the state schools?

Back