Deaf clubs and the Hearing

MelodyB

Reaction score
I just recently started taking an additional ASL class at a neighboring church. I was informed last night that the Deaf club will be meeting on Saturday evening and I was invited to go.

My question is, is it acceptable for me, as a hearing person, to attend the Deaf club? Should I go regluarly? I dont know very much sign, but I know enough not to be totally lost. But should I go? I really want to, to see what it is like and learn all I can and be accepted among the Deaf, but is it ok?

And Im sure it wont be voiced, so maybe it will be a good experience for me to go and see what it is like not to be able to communicate...kinda see what the Deaf have to deal with, even if it is just for a couple of hours.

Yes, I sure think you could use this wonderful opportunity to not only see how members and non-members interact, but also, to be able to show your genuine desire and expressed interest being among them...afterall, everyone 'there' is human like you, obviously, you're human to the point of being friendly and having the will to mingle/socialize with the group. As for being 'accepted', that can vary from group to group as it is usually the case anywhere, at any function, event, etc.,...therefore, give it time to whereas you'll eventually be able to ease into that 'comfort zone' with the group as they also will with you. Of course, the smiles, the genuine expressions, concerns,...etc., can surely go a long ways in establishing yourself among them.

Bottom line--go for it! :)

Then share with AD'ers the experience...I'm more than confident that it will be a rewarding and satisfying one...with many more yet to come. ;)

~RR

There is nothing to lose for you. really. deaf people always are thrilled at hearing who take the effort to learn sign language and try to immerse themselves into deaf world.

Go ahead and fall in the rabbit hole.

agreed. There is nothing to worry about. Just tell them you are learning and ask that they please go slow. They will. I attend Deaf events all the time and have been to Deaf clubs. I always go with my Deaf friends though. If you were taking the classes in college going to a Deaf club or Deaf event would be required. It is something that Deafies are kinda used to, at least in my experience, having a hearie there that is learning. You'll do fine! =)

I have never had anything but positive experiences in attending events or just hanging out at Deaf clubs. I still say its the best way in the world to learn ASL.

I would say go for it, just like the others. :) I too am learning ASL and my prof has invited me to go with her to the deaf club. I am excited but scared only because I am worried that I wont understand anyone lol. Well I will have my prof with me so I will be ok lol

I went...I could only stay for an hour and a half, cause I had to go to a dinner I had commited to beforehand, but I REALLY enjoyed myself...I was just getting un-nervous and loosend up a bit talking with folks and I had to leave. I cant wait till next meeting! I had such a good time!

There were aboout 12-13 Deaf there and about 4 Hearing including myself...It was great!

I went...I could only stay for an hour and a half, cause I had to go to a dinner I had commited to beforehand, but I REALLY enjoyed myself...I was just getting un-nervous and loosend up a bit talking with folks and I had to leave. I cant wait till next meeting! I had such a good time!

There were aboout 12-13 Deaf there and about 4 Hearing including myself...It was great!

Glad to hear that you had a great time! Welcome to our world.

I don't see why they wouldn't allow you in.

Hearing clubs let deaf people in. Deaf clubs should let hearing people in too. :)

Well today at ASL class I was invited to a dinner for this coming Friday night at Carrabas with some Deaf ladies. Plus Im planning on going back to Deaf club next month!

Im excited!

Good for you! Enjoy yourself. Soon you will start to think of these people not as your "deaf friends" but simply as your "friends".

Glad to know everything went nicely for you and that you're anxious to head for the next one coming up soon--now that you have one foot in the door, soon enough, you'll have both of them planted within the community itself--just continue to 'smile' and show your eagerness to mingle with them. ;)

~RR

I went to Carrabas with my new friends tonight, and my Teacher/friend that I rely on so much to voice for me sat at the complete other end of the table. At first I felt kinda out of place, but once I loosened up I did fine and had a BLAST! I found out that I didnt need her to voice for me, I understood everything that I needed to know and I even learned a bunch of signs just by watching everyone.

Yall please pardon me for rattleing on so much, but I am amazed by this language, and that I have missed out on this experience my whole life, and Im just kinda eager to learn, and Im acting like a little kid! :eek3:

That's very good to hear that you enjoying at the deaf club and yes, there is no reason for hearing not welcome to. As voiced go, uum, as my opinion, they should, but not as an officers like prez, and vp. But the deaf club where I go not allow hearing to voice.

Deaf Club in Panama City

Hi Melody!

I know someone that lives in Lake Haven and would probably join deaf club. Could you tell me when and where the next deaf club meeting will be?

Thanks!

Do you mean Lynn Haven?

Not sure if I know of a Lake Haven around here. But there is a Lynn Haven.

And the next Club function is next Saturday the 10th at the Lake Hunington Clubhouse, at 4. It is a dinner, so they will need to bring 5 dollars a person if they want to eat. Im not sure the address, or the street name, I just know how to get there.

Back