Deaf Caution

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
No, since I use the Oral method of talking.......also I dont want to be a labeled as a deaf person, but it is up to each individual.......

Yeah, you are right, it is up to each person to do that. The point of the whole thing here, is that you can get it for free, instead of paying 10$ to Deaf Caution, right? :)

So who is going to buy a deafcaution card?

Originally posted by Teekie
I thought the DMV puts a code number for deafness on driver's licenses? Maybe not all states do... :dunno:
Thats would be nice !! but No thanks !!!! the reason why i refused to take that idea because when someone see the license symbol so they will know it is u deaf and make the plans and attack u anywhere anytimes ... so Think about it ... but drive license would be cool but have heard about something bad about it ... but i haven't got the enuff informations about it and some of them said it is somewhat costly to add it on the ID .. so what can i do about it ??

If you live in OK. You don't need that card. It has special add in the DL for police to notice easy.

TX... well, someone suggest that should carry the card... but I don't bother use it... I am always being good driver and good citizen man. :p

kuifje75, thanks for the links!

But I don't need to buy it because I know that NJ DMW will post a small blue symbol on the DL's id card when I pass.

I dont see myself as handicapped. I leave the blue sticker to those that are wheelchair bound.

Babyphat-

That blue sticker is not a symbol of wheelchair, but a deaf symbol with a bar through the ear. It saves me from trouble, if police dont believe me that I am deaf or not. You have to remember that some ppl cannot speak as well or read lips as well as you could, and you also have to remember that police can be very handicapped by their ignorance of how to communicate with deaf ppl. I am not sure if you know but NJ Police has one of the worst records for treating ppl right. So, sticker is right there to save me from unnecessary problems that can happen from police not believing that I am deaf.

I don't think that the sticker/card means I am handicapped. I am Deaf, and proud to be deaf. But I don't go around looking for sympathy. I keep my DL hidden and so on. Only when ppl start to give me hard time and not believe me, I use it as a proof. And one last thing, I am sure NO ONE here sees themselves handicapped, because most deaf ppl do not consider it as a handicap at all. Unfortunately, the real world will consider you to be handicapped, no matter what you think.

Originally posted by kuifje75
Babyphat-

That blue sticker is not a symbol of wheelchair, but a deaf symbol with a bar through the ear. It saves me from trouble, if police dont believe me that I am deaf or not. You have to remember that some ppl cannot speak as well or read lips as well as you could, and you also have to remember that police can be very handicapped by their ignorance of how to communicate with deaf ppl. I am not sure if you know but NJ Police has one of the worst records for treating ppl right. So, sticker is right there to save me from unnecessary problems that can happen from police not believing that I am deaf.

I don't think that the sticker/card means I am handicapped. I am Deaf, and proud to be deaf. But I don't go around looking for sympathy. I keep my DL hidden and so on. Only when ppl start to give me hard time and not believe me, I use it as a proof. And one last thing, I am sure NO ONE here sees themselves handicapped, because most deaf ppl do not consider it as a handicap at all. Unfortunately, the real world will consider you to be handicapped, no matter what you think.

But people will think that you want pity and that you are using the "disabilty" card..... yes its true I am fortunate I can read lips and speak well....I can see how some people will need this. I would understand if they just put it on the Drivers license not the license plate where the whole world can see it. I dont want to be judged based on my deafness but rather who I am... If I am a bitch I am a bitch but not a deaf bitch.

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
But people will think that you want pity and that you are using the "disabilty" card..... yes its true I am fortunate I can read lips and speak well....I can see how some people will need this. I would understand if they just put it on the Drivers license not the license plate where the whole world can see it. I dont want to be judged based on my deafness but rather who I am... If I am a bitch I am a bitch but not a deaf bitch.

:lol: Who said you are a bitch? Smile... It is "Deaf" card (not a "disability" card) and the only thing on it is to show how to communicate to a deaf person. It doesnt ask for sympathy. It just makes it clear that the normal way of speaking may not work, and how police can ayt differently to communicate better. It is held in the visor (the thingie that blocks the sun from your eyes) and the only time when it is out is when you want to show it to police. It is not like a sticker that you put on the window so that the whole world can see that you are deaf. :) Also, a drivers licence may have the symbol on it, but will the police always know what to do? I think we have assumptions about the police that they already know how to treat deaf ppl, but really, not all of them do.

Nah, I am not going to buy these cards. I feel that they are useless, since I can prove that I'm deaf in a different way.

One of my friend have it... It works.. because one time a cop pulled him over bec he was speeding...

He gave the cop the card and the cop read it carefully twice then got pissed off and threw the card at him and left.

So i guess it does work.

Originally posted by kuifje75
On the card it just explains how to communicate with the deaf person, and if need more communication, how to get an interpreter. It's simple. It doesn't ask for pity or sympathy.

BTW, my family works in law enforcement, and they always worry about me. Sometimes if you move your hands or do something, police will get wrong idea and get gun on you. So, use that card, show that you are deaf.

I once was stopped by cop, who refused to take flashlight off my face. I said I can't read your lips, I am deaf. He refused to cooperate so I used sign language and voice at same time: "Look, make it clear for you, I am deaf, and I cannot read your lips if light is on my face. Please use paper and pen to write with me whatever you're saying." Finally he understood, and started to cooperate with me, writing back and forth with me. So, if the cop reads on that card saying that cannot read lips in flashlight, cop will get the idea.

Cops will still think that you are lying. They thought the same with my friend xxbrainwasherxx. They kept on thinking that he was bullshitting cuz he could talk good. They finally realized it when they saw the logo on the back of his license that shows that he is deaf, only they did it a hour later. If I have that card, the police will still think that you are reaching for a weapon when you are reaching for the card. The police also refused to write down on paper what he said, I understood him but he was trying to get a confession out of me by fooling me into thinking that the paper wouldn't be on record. I won't let myself to get fucked over like that. I wouldn't mind getting it though.

what an interesting!! 2 cards for 10 bucks.. who wants to pay half? cause i dont need 2 cards. only 1 card ...

what if hearing people take advantage of this?? lets say there is a deaf person in the family and you got the sticker for the car or you photocopy a "I am deaf" card.......

Back