Deaf Cashiers

sequoias said:
I thought that was odd because I've been hearing that Wal-mart is open minded when hiring disabled to work, like wheelchair, elderly people, etc. I'm surprised they wouldn't hire you because you're deaf.
:werd:

The Walmart here has a bunch of deaf people working. They had at least 7 deaf people working there. Two as stockers and five as cashiers. A couple of the cashiers left recently. One transfered to another Walmart in another state and one had a baby.

VamPyroX said:
:werd:

The Walmart here has a bunch of deaf people working. They had at least 7 deaf people working there. Two as stockers and five as cashiers. A couple of the cashiers left recently. One transfered to another Walmart in another state and one had a baby.

Yeah, I once applied at Wal-mart and I even talked to the woman who is a interviewer and she never contacted me right after that. She said she will contact me for a interview appt. Weird! That was like few years ago.

It's not surprising because Rochester has a lot of deaf people so they know the community pretty good, I'd say.

sequoias said:
I thought that was odd because I've been hearing that Wal-mart is open minded when hiring disabled to work, like wheelchair, elderly people, etc. I'm surprised they wouldn't hire you because you're deaf.

I believe that Wal-Mart don't want hire deaf people to become cashier because its hard for consumers to ask questions.

volcomskatz said:
I believe that Wal-Mart don't want hire deaf people to become cashier because its hard for consumers to ask questions.

Read what Vampyro said. THat question is already answered and I don't need your answer, thanks. I disagree with you because deaf CAN be a cashier no matter what it is.

sequoias said:
Yeah, I once applied at Wal-mart and I even talked to the woman who is a interviewer and she never contacted me right after that. She said she will contact me for a interview appt. Weird! That was like few years ago.

It's not surprising because Rochester has a lot of deaf people so they know the community pretty good, I'd say.

Yea, it does happen to me... I applied work at Wal-Mart and none of them call me to interview, just wait until around 2 month then I just like WTF.

volcomskatz said:
Yea, it does happen to me... I applied work at Wal-Mart and none of them call me to interview, just wait until around 2 month then I just like WTF.

It's not always because you're deaf. It can be because that you have no experience or they found someone with more experience than you have. Please do not automatically think that they don't want you because you're deaf, it can be many other reasons.

sequoias said:
Read what Vampyro said. THat question is already answered and I don't need your answer, thanks. I disagree with you because deaf CAN be a cashier no matter what it is.

I just think about LuciaDisturbed's feeling about refused let her to become cashier then I just start believe but I don't say that, just feeling like WTF at Wal-Mart, also additional, few of my deaf friends told me that business refused let them to become cashier.

volcomskatz said:
Maybe, it was something that happened at the interview or something that was on your resume?

VamPyroX said:
Maybe, it was something that happened at the interview or something that was on your resume?

Yea, I have resume but... I just applied on computer at Wal-Mart Consumer Service and alot of questions, also they will call me after checked up from computer. I believe its hard to handle with it, they don't ask to show resume during apply.

I think that I need ask manager for give information about deaf and stuff.

Yup, I have known and SEEN Wal-fart and target and few other stores DO hire deafies to do cashier and other things.

sequoias said:

Well, sometimes we face interviewer who NEVER heard or experience with deafies. They have no clue, and they thought, well this is only one deaf, why bother? They don't realize there is much more out there. Or they are simply IGNORANT BASTARD (Excuse me!). So, its best NOT to give up based on just stupid ignorant interviewer perspective.

sequoias said:

I used work in Wal-Mart for 3 yrs. When I applied in April then in one month later got for an inteview on friday afternoon then got a job in right away start monday night shift. Then later on I left and got another job.

sequoias said:

Yeah, I was like "WTF?!"

RacerFox22 said:
I used to work for Dominick's back in 1995 for 5 years at first I was hired as a bagger and then 3 years later finally got protmoted to be a cashier cuz I fought my strength to the customer service manager that I want to try a cashier.. Since it easy to work as cashier seeing the keyboard or the screen that goes beep up shows all the UPC codes went thru. But I'm hard of hearing I can hear beep sounds. But i do get diffcult talking with customers. Especially Asians and Mexican people I don't understand them so I get my supervisor to help me out. First I suggest you to start basic position and get along a good relatenship with the supervisor and the managers and they'll get trust you.

I started right away... I will be cashier at 3M Championship but I will be working in warehouse. It will be my first time running credit card machine..

I Know Of Two Women That Work As Cashiers At Walmart Up Here In Ontario. And One As Money Handling. Complaint By Customers Isn't The Cashier's Problem. They Scanned The Items. If A Error Occur That Is Up To The Head To Deal With. Don't Give Up, If You Know You Can Do It, Tell Them, Even If Mean That You Want To Demonstrate That You Can Do The Job. :)

CATLOVERS2000 said:
I Know Of Two Women That Work As Cashiers At Walmart Up Here In Ontario. And One As Money Handling. Complaint By Customers Isn't The Cashier's Problem. They Scanned The Items. If A Error Occur That Is Up To The Head To Deal With. Don't Give Up, If You Know You Can Do It, Tell Them, Even If Mean That You Want To Demonstrate That You Can Do The Job. :)

at my job, most of time I could handle complaints, and if they demand to talk to manager, I would call on my boss, who is the owner to deal with overcomplaing customers who refuse to shut up.

racheleggert said:
at my job, most of time I could handle complaints, and if they demand to talk to manager, I would call on my boss, who is the owner to deal with overcomplaing customers who refuse to shut up.
CHUCKLE!! I BET YOU FEEL LIKE BACKSLAP THEM UP THE HEAD. EH! THEY ARE ANNOYING.

CATLOVERS2000 said:
CHUCKLE!! I BET YOU FEEL LIKE BACKSLAP THEM UP THE HEAD. EH! THEY ARE ANNOYING.

Yea... I hate one lady who was bible thumper, she came in my work for no reason starting to preach... I will have to find that story somewhere in myspace blog..

I used work as a cashier for drive in theatre for eight summers at two locations. Also as a head cashier at TGI Fridays for five years at several locations. It was fun.

Umm, my question wasn't answered about button for help.

I have to comment that I think we have to do our job of contacting them again if they don't call you as they say they would. I think, and if that is true that they don't want a deaf person, then showing up might make you more powerful than let them call you, you know what I mean? You show them you're not weak by showing up and demanding an answer. I don't mean demand like bossy, but being assertive.

Former or Present cashiers, do you know if some places use buttons to call for help. That would be cool.

Back