Deaf can do anything but hearing?

Fort Sill is NOT in Texas, Fort Sill is in Oklahoma. I know because my ex was stationed there for a year. It is an artilllery training base for those who wish to work with artillery and do mostly infantryman duties.

I too wish I could join the military. If I was not HOH/deaf I would have joined the Air Force straight out of high school. My grandpa flew many missions in WWII and Korea. I wanted to be like him and serve my country and get the chance to fly an airplane.

I would, too, join the Marine Corps, as an infantry, right after high school. But, oh, well. Grr...

Were your Grandpa a fighter or bomber? (I'm a World War 2's history freak, tho. lol)

Hi,
Texan friend, don't feel so disappointed as many people still felt disappointed on their last minutes of life that it was too late for them to fulfill a few things they really wanted to do.

As a Vietnamese person, I believe in fate and believe there are some magical powers that can arrange what to come or not to come in my life. Anyway, I also believe that the truest belief is to keep trying what you want to do. The magical powers may not let you down one day.

I agree with the quote that deaf people can do many things like hearing people, even being a tour guide in which you need to "talk" a lot to tell stories.

Keep up with your dream and good luck.

Thi

Thanks, dude, I appreciate it. heh.

Man that sucks. I wouldn't mind joining the military. Air Force even. I would love to be a pilot but can't as need to use radios. :(

Long time ago I went to Israel on a school trip and they had an army week where you bunk there, shoot guns & all that fun stuff. They wouldn't let me or another deaf mate go for our safety as couldn't hear PA's in case of an emergency. I was so bummed but at least got to spend the week with my family there instead. Funniest thing was all the girls were jealous I didn't go as they didn't want to go & get muddy & break their nails. :lol:

That's interesting that the Israeli Army allows deaf people. My cousin said if I joined, they woulda had me pushing papers or in mechanics which is what I'm good at. Just not actual combat.

I don't think that quote was meant to be taken literally (is that a right word?). I think it just means basically deaf people are still a human being. That deaf people can be educated and that we can lead a sort of "normal" life. We can raise a good family, go to work and pay our taxes, etc. That deaf people don't need to be putted in institution or be forgotten by the society.
I don't think it got anything to do with being able to do everything. Just that deaf people can lead a normal life if the society allow them to be.

Does it make sense?

I don't think that quote was meant to be taken literally (is that a right word?). I think it just means basically deaf people are still a human being. That deaf people can be educated and that we can lead a sort of "normal" life. We can raise a good family, go to work and pay our taxes, etc. That deaf people don't need to be putted in institution or be forgotten by the society.
I don't think it got anything to do with being able to do everything. Just that deaf people can lead a normal life if the society allow them to be.

Does it make sense?

Same thoughts here...

Oh, man, that's sucks. Sorry to hear that. My friend is a HOH. He's very smart. Smarter than me. He also wants to join the military. But no. Damn.

I just got email from a friend of mine in the police academy. I asked her to ask her instructor about deaf in the police force. Then she told me, if you pass all training tasks then you earn the badge. But it may be different from your state and my state. Not sure.

Yeah, it's sucks.

Can I join them? :D lol So, Israel is the only country that let deaf people to join their military?

Sorry? What's OS?

There's one hint about Windows, Mac and Linux.

It's called Operating System.

Does it make sense?

yep does make sense... sometimes people don't understand deaf people can DO anything except hear.. it was funny when one of my friends that i work with at my work told boss i can use computer just fine he gulped LOL sheesh.. I sometimes wish my co workers knew I can communicate just fine blah. oh well life goes on :)

Okay, I was trying to remember who said this quote, "deaf can do anything but hearing" but I forgot.

Deaf people can be the dancer instrutors (SP?), musicians, teachers, football or any sports players, doctors, lawyers, private license pilots, veterinaries, carpenters, government employers, artists, and more, right? But...one problem...military.

Anyway, I, 99.9, disagree with this quote. I always wanting to join the United States Marine Corps or US military since I was born. I was born to be a warrior. But I found out that I can't join the military when I was in 5th grade that I can't join the United States military because I'm deaf with CIs. I'll never forget that day, it let me down really bad. But I joined NJROTC (Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) for 4 years when I was in high school. I thought it can let me join the US military. But no way. I talked to the recruiters but no, there are no way for me to get in the military. I want to be an infantry, anyway.

So, that's why I, 99.9, disagree with this quote.

Care to discuss, gentlemen and ladies?

It can be included with natural hearing.

CI don't make you to become natural hearing but CI is just artificial hearing.

Back