Deaf and living between two worlds

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Since birth, I've never heard a single sound.

The more I try to understand the world of hearing, the more confused I become. I aspire to understand the world of hearing and all the things I can't identify with, but the more I have tried, the more confused I have become. In my condition, people would look at me and think I've got it easy due to how I handle my life as a deaf person. I'm here to prove otherwise. Tears have been shed. My anger often emerges when ignorance presents itself. More often than not, I hold my head up and then confront the faces of misunderstanding, hatred, and fear.

As many do not realize, I live in between two worlds. One world belongs to the non-deaf population whereas the other world belongs to the deaf community. Since childhood, I've not felt accepted by either world. Non-deaf people view me as something lesser due to my disability. Deaf people resent the fact that I interact with non-deaf people.

I've never attended any schools for the deaf. I rarely attended any deaf social functions. I attribute it to the fact that I grew up in a community where I had to adapt to a culture that is not of my own. While growing up, I often felt apprehensive as I entered a new classroom. A thousand different thoughts swarmed through my head. I worried about establishing relationships with other students without an ability of communicating in their language. Anxiously, I looked around at other students. They smiled. They didn't know I am deaf just yet.

My deafness is often considered an invisible disability. I am considered "normal" until my hands start moving. Suddenly, several students walked up to me and their lips began moving in a rapid pace. Unable to reply to their casual conversation, they realized that I am different. It is usually how it goes on the first day of school.

I am often told that I am not like hearing people because I am unable to hear. Some people made assumptions about me. More often than not, when I enter a classroom for a first time, professors are uncertain how to deal with my disability. The task lies upon my shoulders to adapt for them to become comfortable with my deafness. Unfortunately, it is not easy for some people to accept me due to their ignorance or fear.

The experiences I've had in my life brought numerous valuable lessons. I try to forget the negativity I had gone through by remembering the important principles in my life. Rather than allowing my deafness to become a limitation, I've always explored different ways to push the boundaries.

On the other hand, it can be quite difficult when I run into the deaf crowd. Every time I told them about my background, I expected them to applaud my efforts in trying to make a difference in a hearing world. I was wrong. They would ask me all "the questions." Why am I neglecting my culture? Why am I so much like hearing people? Why am I living in a non-deaf people's world?

I try to explain my perspective to deaf people. Unfortunately, a scratch on the surface couldn't break through the density of the biases. Every time I comment on something regarding the hearing culture, the eyes of the deaf community automatically look down upon me.

I've been stuck in between both worlds. I am not accepted by neither hearing nor deaf people. So what does that make me? For a short while I pondered, dreading what was out there in the real world then all of a sudden, it came to me. Rather than dissecting the differences, I try to see the similarities. I realized there are more similarities than dissimilarities between the two cultures.

It bought me understanding of each perspective. I no longer feel out of the place. I have formed a bridge between both worlds. I only hope someone would have courage to walk over into the world they have never dreamed of.

Ashley Nuter
http://www.riponcollegedays.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/09/15/4147ab10064dd

Alex, I've been there on many different of occasions and have gone through the 'motions' that you've implied and I still am 'seen' as someone between the two worlds aforementioned...it's something to do with what's called: 'Straddling the fence' and it's a book that I'm working on..."Straddling the Fence: Into the HoH territory"....

The best course or direction we can each do is just keep our own chins up and make the best of each situation rather than act like we're provoked with the assumption that others misunderstand 'us' (I know at times, it isn't easy either)...for those of 'us' that feel that we're somewhere along the fence straddling between two functions or worlds or cultures or whatever it is that you would call it. Yet, I do admit that there are times when a certain situation comes up...it does give life a bit more of a challenge while confronting or dealing with it. 'Fences' can be brought down...i.e.; look at the Berlin Wall...it stood over time until the 'two worlds' realized the indifference and conflictions it caused and broke it down...likewise, our own world will one day have the 'fence' itself removed once the majority of both worlds understand 'us' better, until then, we'll just move forward creating new milestones in our quest! ;)

I've been there myself. I know the feeling and it's not easy, but with determination, you can break through that -- and be able to bridge both worlds together one day. It's a long time to have that happen though...but I am confident, it'll happen...eventually. :)

I, too, sometimes feel that I am neither totally deaf nor totally hearing. I'm profoundly deaf but I wear hearing aids and go to a hearing school...but my hearing classmates see me as someone who needs special treatment because of my deafness. (this is my story)

sometimes i dream of being that bridge Ashley Nuter refers to. i hope that someday....

Eriol said:
I, too, sometimes feel that I am neither totally deaf nor totally hearing. I'm profoundly deaf but I wear hearing aids and go to a hearing school...but my hearing classmates see me as someone who needs special treatment because of my deafness. (this is my story)

sometimes i dream of being that bridge Ashley Nuter refers to. i hope that someday....

Wow. That's pretty good! You should be proud of yourself. :) Nice work!

Can I post a me too? I am late deafened, so though I am totally deaf now, I do speak normally and spent most of my school years with hearing.

BTW I really appreciate those of you that are hard of hearing (some hearing) of all the stages of hearing to deafness I went through, that one was the hardest.

I have been there many time...I was often left out like others...nobody who is with disability is alone with this kind of frustrating...all of us had to deal with it...but positive thing, throughout year it can help us to become realize of who we are and as our character builds up by patience and perservance with courage. One thing I like quote "THERE IS NO VICTORY WITHOUT SUFFERING..." So we got to confront it.

I am hearing but just wanted to say thank you to Alex and everyone, for giving me an insight into how you feel and live.

I truly believe, not just hope, that one day we will all walk over that bridge and into a wonderful new world

And the foundations have already been laid here...

Thank you

Yeah i totally know what you guys mean! It's really hard sometimes, especially when i was growing up, i was always left out of things. Still to this day people look at me differently and it makes me feel kinda worthless...but you deal.

Amazing article.....and yet there are a lot of people like her out there. I just think that the hearing chaunavism mentality that has been used in raising so many dhh kids is so emoitionally damaging! I pray that my activism will help more dhh kids avoid audist experiances like this...and while I have run into some deafer then thou extremists, I think the majority of dhh people understand that interaction with the hearing world is a very valuable skill.
Most of my friends are hearing, and I attend a hearing college. I am glad that I can interact with the majority, but.....

great article... I am hearing but my grandma is deaf so I like to think that I understand the deaf community a lot more then most hearing people. I believe that there is a lot of missunderstanding between the hearing community and the deaf community. Hearing people assume that the deafness is just a disability. That some thing is worng with a person that can't hear(besides the fact that they're deaf) . What they don't realize is that there is a whole culture that goes a long with being deaf. Like, it is rude in the hearing communtiy to tap someone on the shoulder to get their attention, they'll look at you like " Why, are you touching me?!?" but it is totally ok for people within the deaf community to do so. Also you will never see a hearing person go up to anyone and ask "Are deaf, HoH, Hearing?" That is very rude. Hearing people also assume that sign is just another form of english but with motions to it. Sign has its own set of gramer rules that are different from english. Hearing people also don't understand that each country has its own form of Sign language. I have even been asked if deaf people read brail (how dumb can you be). Sometime I am so embarrased by other hearing people. I just wish that more people were compassionate enough to try to understand both sides.

Wow, have you ever thought of writing a book Alex?...This is the best story I've ever read and a true one too! :thumb:

I feel the same way as you do Alex, alot of us have gone through this and it's not a good feelings....

I would like to state that, although I found the article to be a great one due to the fact that I've experienced the things mentioned there, I did not write the article. In case some of you haven't noticed, I mentioned the author's name (Ashley Nuter) and provided a link to the article.

:thumb:

Back